High top tennis shoes ankle support or ankle protection or both?

tstdmy

I've read that new riders should wear high top tennis shoes. Is this for ankle support or protection or both? If this is for ankle support are canvas high tops good enough or should I consider something similar to leather?

On 6/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, tstdmy said:

I've read that new riders should wear high top tennis shoes. Is this for ankle support or protection or both? If this is for ankle support are canvas high tops good enough or should I consider something similar to leather?

Both, but this varies a lot person to person. I didn't get any ankle bites learning to EUC. 

• 1 month later...

I use skateboarders ankle pads , i ride singletrack mtn bike trails on the west coast with drops and log rides, believe me if you want to ride the fun stuff your ankles WILL take a beating. Plus you can really grip the wheel with your ankles which helps control the tight rough stuff. 

• 1 month later...

As a new learner, one of the first things I learned was how much it can hurt when you run into your own ankle with the pedals.  I actually banged my ankle up good enough that I couldn't even manage to try again for about a month.  Now I ride with motorcycle boots.  One might say overkill, but since I ride motorcycles as well, I already had some.  Made a huge difference.  I still feel it when banging into myself, but it doesn't hurt like that first time did. 

• Like 2

For beginners tall shoes work mostly as protection, but if you will eventually discover the immeasurable joys of technical off-road riding, you’d be better off with shoes that actually support you ankle as you might need to hop off or run off on roots and other shady terrain.

Just guess how I know…

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, VikB said:

I didn't get any ankle bites learning to EUC.

Take this with a grain of salt... @VikB is one of "those people", natural athletes that are particularly blessed with the ability to just hop on, get it, and go :efef895ddd:.

You don't need them for long unless you're riding style is slow and prone to unplanned dismounts (roots and rocks and drops and loose terrain), but the first time ankle pads or sturdy boots save you you'll be glad you spent the money. Maybe it's the other way around: the first time the thing takes a chunk out of your ankle you'll wish you'd spent the money. I learned in high top hiking boots and just got used to them.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

5373.jpg?t=1901291406

Although I haven't had any ankle bites yet it turns out my favourite shoe to EUC in has some ankle protection/padding. I mostly like how the sole feels on the V10F's foot plates.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Wal-Mart looking for high top Basketball shoes, I walked out with cheap tactical boots, with a zipper on the side. Easy in- Easy out. I was surprised at the support I got, my feet felt “locked-in” to the EUC, unlike sneakers or Vans. I’ve fallen a few times and never got an ankle bite or twisted my ankle. 
Hardly any decent inventory in the stores, you might want to try goodwill.

• 3 weeks later...

My S18 cut out on me for the first time today, leaning regrettably far into a big hill.  I was wearing a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, but no ankle protection! Three large patches of flayed ankle flesh later, I have learned a lesson.  I remember a post by @Hirsute about his ankle protection, and I try to do everything like he does in hopes of absorbing some of skill through imitation, but can't find that post now.  Anyone have recommendations?

I've done virtually all my riding in Merrell hiking boots. They're higher tops and go over my ankles so the ankle bone flesh should be protected. I over leaned at 16 mph on the MTen but slid it out on knees and palm guards so I didn't test the ankle protection but I'm pretty sure they've been good at providing support for those ungraceful dismounts I perform on trails. At least, (so far) no turned ankles or other injuries... and I don't think my lack of injury is a sign that I should really be doing parkour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foo Barstein said:

My S18 cut out on me for the first time today, leaning regrettably far into a big hill.  I was wearing a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, but no ankle protection! Three large patches of flayed ankle flesh later, I have learned a lesson.  I remember a post by @Hirsute about his ankle protection, and I try to do everything like he does in hopes of absorbing some of skill through imitation, but can't find that post now.  Anyone have recommendations?

I can whole heartedly recommend the NoBull High or Mid top trainers.  I use the Canvas versions and after trying nearly everything else, swear by them.  I just bought a brand new pair to keep in reserve.   They're gym training shoes with a very low heel toe drop making them ideal for riding for me. Basically tank like converse all stars. 

EDIT: I should also add that I've taken my fair share of tumbles and they've held up amazingly. No tears. 

Edited by Kamikaze_K
  • Like 1