NYC Queens plaza crime alert

Roadpower

I'm glad that nothing happened.

When I had my OneWheel, there was always the thought in the back of my head that someone might want to mug me for it. With the EUC, though, I never have this thought because I suspect that most potential thieves wouldn't know how to escape with it. :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, r_713 said:

With the EUC, though, I never have this thought because I suspect that most potential thieves wouldn't know how to escape with it. :)

Don't count on that. 

NYC has had quite a few EUC's jacked, mainly all unattended wheels. I believe at least one incident they just threw it in a car and bounced.

We prefer 'no hunting' signs everywhere. It kind of gets to the point without needing to say much:ph34r:. Sucks to see that some need live in fear of simply enjoying a walk or ride thru their own town :(

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, r_713 said:

Just curious, but how do you go about leaving your wheel "unattended"? I pull out the trolley handle and take it with me whenever I disembarque, and I've yet to have anyone tell me not to bring it inside a store.

At my local rural gas station, I just leave it outside and the rednecks ponder wtf it is. When I'm in a city, it comes with me inside stores. When I have to leave it in my car, I park in shade, lock the doors (ugh the horror), put something over the wheel and worry for the duration I'm gone.. 

With the amount of flakes that feel its okay to carry their pet rats or let their dogs walk the floors in interests of 'mental assistance', it would be silly to argue that I cant roll a suitcase into a store. Its far less evasive than a stroller or walker as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r_713 said:

Just curious, but how do you go about leaving your wheel "unattended"? I pull out the trolley handle and take it with me whenever I disembarque, and I've yet to have anyone tell me not to bring it inside a store.

Beats me. My wheel is barely every leaving my sight.

But leaving wheels unattended happens more than you would think, in my experience of other rider habits.

30 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

At my local rural gas station, I just leave it outside and the rednecks ponder wtf it is. When I'm in a city, it comes with me inside stores. When I have to leave it in my car, I park in shade, lock the doors (ugh the horror), put something over the wheel and worry for the duration I'm gone.. 

With the amount of flakes that feel its okay to carry their pet rats or let their dogs walk the floors in interests of 'mental assistance', it would be silly to argue that I cant roll a suitcase into a store. Its far less evasive than a stroller or walker as well.

I'm in a big city with no automobile. Dogs in stores is quite common. Some even have their cat on a a leash.

Much different scenarios than rural ones, I have to imagine.

A lot of times ill wheel it in the store with me, if its a big store with shopping carts i throw it in a cart. If its a smaller store a lot of the time ill just park it against the wall and go about my buinsess. So long as it near eye sight im good

• Like 1

I added a Key switch to my wheels. It disables the power switch when keyed off whenever I leave my wheels out of sight or prevent mishaps from curious hands. Any lucky thief will have to open the unit up to get it working.

But speaking of getting jacked on the local bridges, I think there was a few incidents at either the Brooklyn or Williamsburg Bridge back in the days where lone riders get jacked midway and some pricey carbon road bikes were taken. 

Key lock.JPG

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

When I wheel to local trails to hike or run, for maximum peace of mind I could pop it in a backpack when I arrive. I guess I'm fortunate to be in an area where if I just stashed it in some bushes, I would be surprised if it wasn't there when I'm done with the hike/run. To me it makes little sense to be overly paranoid or trusting when I can just bring along a decent bike lock.

When locking I always position it in a way where you can't easily see the power button so some curious kid doesn't come along and push it. Down the road I plan to either install a power button lock or just 3D print a cover that attaches magnetically over the button.

20210425_191256locked.jpg

24 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Put it in transport mode! Lights, but no motor.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe only newer Gotways have a transport mode. Mine is from 2019, it doesn't have a kill switch. (The only way I've seen to enter transport mode is to use that)  I just checked both EUC world and the Gotway apps and there are no options for transport mode or locking there either.

Edited by BecauseFun
Clarication
  • Like 2