z10 - is it still a solid used wheel?

I am looking at buying a used z10 - given they are getting old and replacement parts are not ez to find, is this a solid choice for a used wheel? I am replacing a 16x which I think has similar sort of specs...

Thoughts???

2 hours ago, redsnapper said:

I am looking at buying a used z10 - given they are getting old and replacement parts are not ez to find, is this a solid choice for a used wheel? I am replacing a 16x which I think has similar sort of specs...

Thoughts???

In my opinion, the Ninebot Z model is still the best-looking wheel around. The huge 4-inch tire, light effects, and silhouette are just sexy in a macho batman sort of way. I purchased a barely-used Z10 six months ago for a great price and have put nearly 1000km on the wheel and ride almost everyday. I have no regrets, but I needed some time to learn to ride the wheel, and it was scary at first. Once acclimated, I now have difficulty riding other/my previous wheels. I do enjoy riding the Z10 a lot more, but it isn't much faster than other 16- or 18-inch wheels from 2018 or later. My wheel is from the first eWheels batch imported in August 2018. So far, I have not discovered any issues with the the mainboard which was reported to have a high failure rate in the first year. It has also been reported that Ninebot has severed all ties with US resellers, so Z owners in the US are on our own. Parts do appear to be broadly available on Aliexpress and from Chinese sellers on eBay, but be prepared to wait 2-3 months for them to arrive.

Having suffered a cut-out at 44km/h a few days ago (fortunately a butt- not faceplant), I will need to replace the trolley handle, mudguard and inner shells. The wheel still rides and is structurally sound, but the handle won't fully retract and is torqued. Since the trolley is exposed and somewhat flimsy, you will probably need to replace yours sooner or later as well.

Also, the brass nut inserts in the fender and shell can be stripped out too easily and are more or less impossible to reinsert. Due to the impact of my crash, the plastic recesses in the shell which hold the brass inserts also broke. I am using washers to catch the remaining plastic around the screw holes to tighten the screws back into the trolley handle for now, but I will need to replace the shell and mudguard sooner or later.

Besides the weak headlight that is aimed too high on early Z's, the on/off switch is very susceptible to water ingress which prevents the wheel from shutting off. You should ask about that and plan to immediately and carefully seal the edge around the switch with a very thin bead of silicone sealant. I was able to dry out my switch by taping a large dessicant packet on top of it and wrapping stretch wrap around it for a week.

Also, a few other forum members have had to replace the bearing around 5,000km, which I am not looking forward to.

The other maintenance gotcha with the Z is the battery. I have read that they are nearly impossible to rebuild/replace due to the custom BMS, and they sell for $900 from sellers on Ali. Mine seems to be ok and will hopefully last for many years to come. If it fails for any reason, I'll probably sell the wheel.

edit: The range of the wheel is about 35miles. The smallish battery (9600mAH) still requires a full 9 hours to charge due to the weak charger and battery BMS. I attempted a long ride two months ago, stopping to top-off the battery for a couple hours. The battery only recharged an additional 10%, and it took several hours and two more stops for me to make it home three hours later than planned. The battery charge curve is not linear, and requires 5-6 hours to get any significant additional range.

Would I recommend this wheel? Absolutely, but only if you can find one nearly new for under $1000USD only. If more than that, I'd strongly recommend you buy one of the later wheels from Jason where you can get extended support.

Edited by litewave
added battery/charging comments

Well, I do not think that this will be an update to you. Much less torque and range than the 16X. But that depends on your riding style. I brakes worse too. But I still like it. The quality is wayyy better.

I ride mine just because I have no money for an MSP/RS...😉

• 3 weeks later...

And it takes a charge pew... was my lill worry of reading all the doa in boxes.

What a stunning looking wheel i had to Get one... :P Even if newer faster better n so is out this is a legend ...

Congrats! It really IS the best looking wheel around. The big wheels of the competitors look like a piece of furniture. But all the stories about the bad reliability kept me from buying one. I hope you enjoy it and will have positive experiences! Keep us informed

1 hour ago, Fahrtwind said:

Congrats! It really IS the best looking wheel around. The big wheels of the competitors look like a piece of furniture. But all the stories about the bad reliability kept me from buying one. I hope you enjoy it and will have positive experiences! Keep us informed

Yeh i hope i will  like it :P we will se . Its still on charge and i do se that it will take a good while to top it up. 
But  if its not to late when its done ill go n try it out.