V11: A few small tests: consumption on the rise according to speed, wobbles and rain

Halig

1. Consumption when going uphill:

Is a slope somewhat strong and very constant.

at 5 km / h: 95 Wh / km
at 10 km / h: 95 Wh / km
at 20 km / h: 85 Wh / km
at 30 km / h: 85 Wh / km
at 35 km / h: 85 Wh / km

Conclusion: it consumes practically the same at all speeds. Little bit more a low speed.

And more than 35 km / h I'm not going 🤷‍♂️. It's not like it's the perfect lab test either, but it gave me an idea. I thought that going slow consumed much less

2: Wobbles:

The other day I had my first fall after 4,500 km. The cause was wobbles on a slight descent, with good asphalt and at 30 km / h. I wasn't expecting them and I didn't know how to stop them. I'm fine, just small scratches (I was wearing protections).

I have been trying to reproduce the wobbles, to see if I could get to stop them. I have tried various speeds, foot poses, ups, downs, and flats. I have only managed to reproduce them (2 times) on a slight downhill slope and with my feet slightly forward. It gives me the impression that with this configuration, the axis of the leg being in line with the center of the pedal and at a certain speed (about 30 km / h) they are generated if something starts them.

My conclusion (for now): the fall the other day was a sum of: smooth road, going straight, slight descent, feet ahead and a specific speed: about 30 km / h.

3: Heavy rain for a long time:

This test is not very reliable, since I have new bearings (changed to better quality ones by the distributor) and also, to protect especially the power button and the cushioning above, I put a backpack cover on it. Anyway, I give the information to add to the general knowledge.

I have done 50 km (2.5h) under a constant and strong rain 💦🌨. It was asphalt, but part of the route (about 3 km) was by track, releasing fine mud.

After this test I was hanging around the following days and everything has worked perfectly. No noise or anything. He does not determine that there will be no problems, but hey, very happy.

And that, that's it, folks :). Maybe you can share your experiences or some ideas about this topic :)

Edited by Halig
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ádám Szitás said:

There is no way the consumption is right if you think about it a little, yes it does consume less with less speed.

At very low speeds the efficiency of our motors are very bad. At high(er) speeds air drag kicks in. In the middle should be some minimal consumption.

• Like 1

95 WH/km seems very high to me when you're going 10 km/h, I'm wondering if there's something wrong in the readings? I do not know your riding weight or other conditions at the time of your test (like the size of the hills), but the articles I read indicate that wind resistance (speed) causes a huge increase in power consumption. The math estimates doubling speed requires 8x the power, so you should be using way way less power at 10 km/h than 20 km/h.

yeah even with 85wh/km, that'd be the same as 136wh/mile, which is has to be way off of true values. That would give the v11 an 11mile range from 100% to 0%... A buddy and I did a long trip with v11's yesterday up Mount Diablo here in California, which is a significant uphill climb. We got 30 miles before go home mode needed to be activated.

as for wobbles, of all the wheels I've tried, the v11 wobbles are the hardest to control. Probably something to do with a combination of it's size and it's high ride height.  everyone has their own ideas on how to control them. Feel free to ask if you want ideas on new things to try that may work for you.

Quick breakdown: In my experience, newer riders who experience wobbles are almost always caused by riding too tight on the wheel. Feet wedge into the wheels pads, death grip squeeze, etc. If I'm going less than 25mph / 40kph, it's all about the feet; the wheel isn't even touching my calves. 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tawpie said:

95 WH / km me parece muy alto cuando vas a 10 km / h, me pregunto si hay algo mal en las lecturas. No conozco su peso de conducción ni otras condiciones en el momento de la prueba (como el tamaño de las colinas), pero los artículos que leí indican que la resistencia del viento (velocidad) provoca un enorme aumento en el consumo de energía. Las matemáticas estiman que duplicar la velocidad requiere 8 veces la potencia, por lo que debería usar mucho menos energía a 10 km / h que a 20 km / h.

It was a steep slope and I measured the consumption with the EUC World (I did it several times). It seems to me a normal consumption for that type of slopes 🙄

46 minutes ago, Halig said:

It was a steep slope and I measured the consumption with the EUC World (I did it several times). It seems to me a normal consumption for that type of slopes 🙄

Ok, I think we didn't understood "on the rise" as "when going uphill" :) Instead, I though that the sense of this sentence is that your consumption is rising. I get averages between 21 - 29 Wh/km on a daily commuting in a hilly city. 95 Wh/km when riding uphill is to be expected; V11 is somewhat power-hungry, especially on acceleration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seba said:

Ok, I think we didn't understood "on the rise" as "when going uphill" :) Instead, I though that the sense of this sentence is that your consumption is rising. I get averages between 21 - 29 Wh/km on a daily commuting in a hilly city. 95 Wh/km when riding uphill is to be expected; V11 is somewhat power-hungry, especially on acceleration.

You're right. I didn't look fondly at the machine translation. Edited, thanks! :)

My average consumption in the city (flat) is 18 Wh/km (I go maximum at 30 km / h)

On 3/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, Halig said:

3: Heavy rain for a long time:

This test is not very reliable, since I have new bearings (changed to better quality ones by the distributor) and also, to protect especially the power button and the cushioning above, I put a backpack cover on it. Anyway, I give the information to add to the general knowledge.

I have done 50 km (2.5h) under a constant and strong rain 💦🌨. It was asphalt, but part of the route (about 3 km) was by track, releasing fine mud.

After this test I was hanging around the following days and everything has worked perfectly. No noise or anything. He does not determine that there will be no problems, but hey, very happy.

And that, that's it, folks :). Maybe you can share your experiences or some ideas about this topic :)

Going to sound like a parrot soon, but quality of bearings will not have a big impact whether you get problems or not, in time all hollow bearings will have a problem with water and/or dirt ingress because the small rubber seal is not enough to protect it, you need the 3d printed seal on top of the bearings or wait for official solution to be completely safe.

Edit: To clarify, I think it's an important message because people might spend a lot of money on expensive bearings on the assumption that it will make it waterproof.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I had the bearing problem after passing a muddy area at 500 km. Then I rode 1700 km with noisy bearings (but no more problems). Finally my salesperson changed the bearings for me. The initial problem occurred at the same time as the passage through mud. Since the rain the other day I have done about 200 km without problem. In this case, I believe that the rain did not affect anything. Anyway, I have Vasillii's stamps printed on me, ready for when it's time to change the cover (shortly).

But yes, I am aware of having read that there are people who, after a light step in the rain, had a bearing problem. In my case, before those 500 km and the mud, I rolled in the rain and had no problem, but it seems that it depends on the units. The entrance of mud in my case was strong

I have done a small consumption test according to speed in a flat place. There was little wind but, just in case it influenced, I have done 1.5 km round trip. I have put the tiltback at 10, 20, 30 and 40 km / h

Conclusion: it consumes almost the same at any speed, but something else going fast, of course, due to increased friction due to turbulent aerodynamics.

image.png

Consumption the mountains: I continue writing all my routes in the table and, for the moment, roughly: the v11 gives for 55 km if there is 1500 m accumulated drop and 65 km with 500 m, for average speeds of 14 km / h

• Like 2