Well, I learned about wheel cut out today... OUCH!

GeneralZod

Just got a starter wheel about a week ago (ninebot E+)

Around day 4, I finally learned to ride without falling.

I've been riding pretty slow each day, but today I was feeling confident and decided to lean hard for the first time...trying to go faster.

Well, being a tall heavier rider....in hot 85-degree weather...leaning hard....the wheel cut out.

OUCH!

Learned my lesson: this is a leaner wheel, not a Sherman.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced my first cut out the other day and happened to document it on video.

I decided to go back and shoot a static shot of a tight, downhill turn I had just moments ago, successfully accomplished. That's when I experienced my first EUC Cut-Out. Several mistakes on my part caused the cut-out, one being that my Lateral Tilt Limit was set too low. Another was taking too much of the inside forcing me to grab for the tree. Luckily no damage other than a broken GoPro mount.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@GeneralZod That's familiar. A few months after I learned to ride and upgraded from my 1st wheel to a faster one (went from 14" to 16"), I hit 2 cars in 1 day by not watching my speed.

That graph looks about right. There WILL be a couple more bumps in the graph though...:)

Edited by Circuitmage

I love that graph! :roflmao:

The next stage is realizing how much your skills can improve over the next few months.

I love having a learner wheel around. Whenever someone asks me if they can try riding I get out my old Kingsong 16s. That way they don’t mess up my current best wheels. If your learning curve flattens out try off-road trails it kicks your learn curve back in gear. 

On 3/15/2021 at 4:10 AM, GeneralZod said:

I like the E+. It gives me a chance to learn on a slower wheel that can take a beating.

I'll will eventually upgrade, but I'll probably keep it as a learner wheel for my friends/family....or just to cruise around in the park.

And yes, I did fall but I was wearing my gear EXCEPT an helmet. :facepalm:

I figured the wheel is so slow, I didn't need to have my helmet practicing in an empty parking lot ...........WRONG!

My knee/elbow/wrist pads did their jobs, but I have a nice little road rash above my eye.

Made a graph of my journey. :smartass:

HTvRKpl.png

Hey mate, if you bumped your head and for the next 48 hours you feel sleepy, drowsy  or like throwing up...GO IMMEDIATELY TO A HOSPITAL...you might have a serious head concussion!!! DON NOT IGNORE THESE SYNPTOMS! 

31 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

It is the amount of lean your wheel will do before it cuts out. You can experiment by setting the limit then see how far your wheel will lean till it shuts off. 

I've never touched the EUC World default # and I've already scraped both pedals on the asphalt...and on cut-offs. So I'm guessing I'm Ok?

2 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

So I'm guessing I'm Ok?

Alway!

Increasing the lean angle allowed before the wheel cuts out shouldn't be necessary for riding on the road. When you decide to do skate parks or take a banked turn at the pump track or flirt with a tree, that's when you want to consider changing the allowed lean angle. In the meantime, it ensures that the wheel's motor doesn't keep spinning after you've dropped the wheel on its side. Prevents the infamous "gotway dance".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

what lean angle do dirt/offroad riders put on most of the time? 

I have no idea, but suspect something on the order of 50° or more. Many banked turns on mountain bike trails are 40° or higher, you don't want the wheel to shut down when you're cranked over on that kind of a turn.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Tawpie, what lean angle do dirt/offroad riders put on most of the time? 

okay Paulo, now you're getting ahead of yourself. You have to learn to know the difference between people giving you support and people hyping you up so they can watch you bust your ass. Wait ... my bad, it Paulo. Dude, you so got this, when is the next Xgames coming, you have GOT to enter!:roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

okay Paulo, now you're getting ahead of yourself. You have to learn to know the difference between people giving you support and people hyping you up so they can watch you bust your ass. Wait ... my bad, it Paulo. Dude, you so got this, when is the next Xgames coming, you have GOT to enter!:roflmao:

@ShanesPlanet you're out of your mind!!! Don't forget that at my age, whatever I break now... Never gets fixed again 😂😂😂😂