Knee pads for city use: Skate or MTB style?

A lot of people have the Leatt dual axis or equivalent. It has good coverage and is primarily intended for MTB / MX. They are rated CE L1.

I have been on the verge of ordering them, but discovered that high end skate DH pads actually have more impact resistance: CE L2.

The later are also more focused on my primary use: city and other roads. They are made for knees scraping on asphalt and knocking into things at high speed.

MTB gear on the other hand is targeting hits from pointy objects like branches or rocks, hence the large coverage area. Speed is probably lower though.

Anyone have an opinion regarding this? Maybe the dual axis can mash into things at 50km/h. But then thick skate shells are thicker, and ratings show..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

I think this is a good point to raise... I asked Santa for the Dual Axis as an upgrade to my skate pads but discovered doing a "fall to your knees on the pavement" test that the skate pads were much better at absorbing the impact than the Leatts. So I'm planning to use the Leatts for off-road when it's too hot for the moto pants because the extra straps should keep them in place when I hit dirt and because bushes and stuff hit your shins as you go by, but during the summer on pavement I may well use the skate pads for comfort. Still, if it's tolerable I'll be in the moto pants because of the road rash protection.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Skate style pads are good, I have taken many a knee slides back in my sk8r days.  The knee\shin guard style are superior in my opinion because you have extra straps wrapping around curvy parts of your leg.  I.E.  lower strap goes under your calf, while the mid strap goes over your calf with the third around your lower thigh.  It really helps lock the pads in place on a fall.  I have had several skate type knee pads [standard two strap] that on slide they would move and potentially expose your knee because the pad could not stay in place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Skate style pads are good, I have taken many a knee slides back in my sk8r days.  The knee\shin guard style are superior in my opinion because you have extra straps wrapping around curvy parts of your leg.  I.E.  lower strap goes under your calf, while the mid strap goes over your calf with the third around your lower thigh.  It really helps lock the pads in place on a fall.  I have had several skate type knee pads [standard two strap] that on slide they would move and potentially expose your knee because the pad could not stay in place.

The pads sliding out of place would be my biggest fear

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This above the type of pad matters. Even the best pads are total crap, if they move away from inteded coverage area. Its a compromise for sure. COmfort and tight fitting dont always go hand in hand. Just as 'cool' and tight fitting doesnt. I guess the best option is to find whatever stays in place and is comfy enough you bother to wear them. I have various items and I choose between them, depending on my compromise mood for the day.

A good fitting suit seems to be a good option. For just knees, I have some scott knees. They seem geared towards mountain bikes, as the material wont survive asphalt for long. Im street, so they arent exactly designed with my use in mind. However, they fit and arent too uncomfy, and this is more than I can say about many other types. Hell, half the CRAP I get conned into trying, wouldnt stay in place or mitigate much at all. Basically I've spent $$ to be uncofortable and misled. Choose gear carefully, as we each have different needs and sizes. CHoosing pads is just about as terrible as choosing shoes.

I was using the fox titan pro when I first bought my wheel. Price wasn't bad, but way overpriced for them to constantly move around, even when straps were tight. Went to leatt dual axis and they fit perfect on me. 

• Like 1

I have to say though...  there are definitely optimized pad strategies, but ANYTHING is better than nothing.  My knees have several scars where I was not padded at all, even if the pad does move and expose skin it would still save you a bit while it was moving.  Road Rashes Suck!

• Like 1

IME maybe skate pads might work in a low speed situation but in a higher speed wipe, the chances of the pads getting outta position upon impact is fairly high. MTB stuff while not necessarily better, it is generally designed for staying in placing with limb motion. Also again generally, MTB stuff has more protection coverage.

But like @ShanesPlanet says, getting a good fit is just as important. & There in lies the rub. Its not so easy as what works for one may not be for another. End of the day though, its always better to have something than not. Personally I vote MTB pads all day 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

IME maybe skate pads might work in a low speed situation but in a higher speed wipe, the chances of the pads getting outta position upon impact is fairly high. MTB stuff while not necessarily better, it is generally designed for staying in placing with limb motion. Also again generally, MTB stuff has more protection coverage.

But like @ShanesPlanet says, getting a good fit is just as important. & There in lies the rub. Its not so easy as what works for one may not be for another. End of the day though, its always better to have something than not. Personally I vote MTB pads all day 

For off-road I would agree 100%, armor > slide, but for road surface I would prefer to slide on the cement and not have pads catch sending me end over end.  MTB geared mostly for dirt with some possibly that looks like it could slide.

• Like 2

My vote for Dual axis! Many slides and no injury, they still work perfectly fine (small marks).

Some of the skateboard gear are not designed faster than 20km/h. Friction causes burn damage when speed is higher.

Downhill skateboard gear are something else, and prolly good pick.

Skating gear is o-k to start with. But after few weeks, I would recommend gear that are designed to higher speeds.

Out of the skateboard set I would only use wristguards.

In general you might wanna think are you planning to roll or slide when you fall.

If your protective gear is under your clothes, you wanna roll.

If gear is atop clothes, you prolly should pick gear for sliding. 

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1

Also...  While we pad up to plan for falling few folks actually practice falling or think about the act of falling.

Even though I'm crazy over weight at 260 LBS I still have some of these concepts drilled in me because I fell alot in my youth.

Here is a good video to peek at, a lot of the info here is geared more to slow to moderate speed falls.  Basically if you can't dismount your wheel and outrun the speed of travel... You're gonna eat it.  might as well see how you can eat it and not get destroyed.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input everyone!

@Tawpie Nice to hear your comparaison, it is what I suspected. Skaters do indeed "fall to your knees on the pavement" quite a bit (for various reasons). In down hill they also reach very high speeds, which are probably closer to what we see with EUCs. (the environment matches street use)

@Dreygun Yes shins hurt, I'd rather avoid knocking them also. But the knee is highest risk and priority for me..

@Tasku Yes basic skate gear isn't made for speed, but they fall a lot on concrete. DH they go very fast, like over 50km/h, and their pads are rated for higher impact than the Dual Axis. Rolling is an issue indeed, it worries me for the back. Especially that I've seen a couple of meta studies that concluded back protectors (for MTB and Motorcycle) didn't give much results. I'm betting on having most protection outside so as to slide.

Thanks for the comments all, and for the video links @Rich Sam !

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

i have NEVER owned a chest pad...until now

Hehe, the same, ordered the other day.. With the higher mileage and speed I can't keep gambling forever..

I go for hard shell elements on the strategic joints. No fun but probably better that than having the back twisted because you didn't slide.

As for the conclusion about the knee pads: It still seems that Skate pads are stronger and more confortable, but I went with coverage (dual axis) in the end. The Skate pads seem to require a fairly straight front fall.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 2:02 PM, Dreygun said:

The pads sliding out of place would be my biggest fear

IIRC, this was always discussed on mtb forums. More critical on bikes when you're legs get sweaty as you pedal. 

Years of mtb trail riding and I have gone thru many different brands/styles with this issue. The Lizardskinz "Softcell" knee/shin guards worked best. Never slid-out of place ever and was reviewed similarly by fellow riders and many at MTBR. Despite the name, it's a "hard-shell" guard with neoprene and foam padding.

Unfortunately, it has been out of circulation for a long time now. Tho, occasionally pops up at ebay. 

Lizard skinz.jpg

• Like 2