Bow-legged learner

LazyLightning

So i'm 6'1" and quite bow-legged. As i'm learning to ride a V8 i'm finding the unit to be rather wobbly between my legs and the best way i've found to stabilize it is by clamping my ankles together as tight as possible which takes quite a bit of strength!

I've added the additional Inmotion pads to the upper part of the V8 but my legs still don't come close to being able to grip it without bending my knees quite a lot which just doesn't work for balance, posture, motion control, etc. 

So, wanting to confirm: Is the correct way to ride the V8 to have it gripped between the legs? Or can there be space there and i just need to work on other aspects of my technique?

Also, should I add some additional padding to my legs to help me grip and stabilize the V8 body? If so, any recommendations for wearable padding? 

thanks!

• Like 3

I find it best if the wheel is not clamped between my legs, but I like having both of my legs in very light contact with it to reduce the flopping around (that bangs my shins). If you're not jumping curbs and roots and rocks and stuff you probably don't want to get in the habit of squeezing too much with your ankles because it can be helpful to raise one or the other heel when turning. I'd suggest experimenting with pieces of rolled up yoga mats taped near the top of the wheel on both sides—enough to close the gaps so you can squeeze with your knees when you need to. Your wheel might look a little like choochtech's wheels, but who really cares anyway? Besides, they'd be "custom pads".

• Like 2

@JLS can you possibly take a photo depicting the position of your legs while standing on the V8? Hold onto a wall or chair while someone captures a close up view. A measurement between your inner shin and the OEM pads would also be helpful.

• Like 1

Grabbing the wheel with your legs only happens during the learning phase, or if you do it on purpose for tighter control (or if the body is just wide, which the V8 isn't). Once you have ridden a bit more, the standard is to barely touch the wheel shell at all while you're just riding along. It's all via the pedals.

But there's no right or wrong way. What works for you is right. That means you stand on the wheel relaxed but in control.

• Like 1

The additional patches that come with the V8 are, to my understanding, ankle paddings. I find them very useful, because I maintain contact to the shell with the ankles (and the heels). I also don't see anything wrong with filling the space between the upper pads and the legs with additional padding material if necessary to maintain light contact there. Finally, bending the knees is the most important safety reflex. You really, really want to get used to ride with soft and, to various degrees, bent knees.

An accident years back damaged my muscles and nerves so I also have problems holding onto a smaller wheel with my larger frame. 

I wrapped a wheel in EDO foam, using automotive painter's tape to wrap it (because it's removable without destroying the foam), and clear packing tape over that (so it slides on pavement and is fairly resilliant yet soft). This stops the wheel from hurting my ankles and also helps protect it in a crash. 

Most people want pads in front and back of their shins, starting above their feet; this improves acceleration, braking, and jumping. The pads pictured are the opposite: they contact the calf muscles and aide in gripping the wheel. There are no "power pads" to get damaged in a crash or get in the way when I have to bail off the wheel. This pad configuration on top the foam is an aide in rebuilding the muscles that atrophied years ago and relearning that part of my nervous control system (or what's left of it).

A similar configuration would probably help you grip the wheel comfortably while learning how to ride. 

High Density (2lb) EVA Foam Sheet: 40" x 80" x 0.5"

3M Automotive Refinish Masking Tape, 06654, 36 mm x 55 m, Yellow

Heavy-Duty Clear Packing Tape (local store)

EUC_EDO_foam.jpg

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

i've really only had about 4 hours on my V8 but i'm able to start, stop, ride, turn left, right and stop. it was a great day today as i finally started to feel i could go as long as i wanted. my balance has improved and i'm much more relaxed. as such, i'm finding i don't need to grip the wheel that much, except to do a quick shift to regain balance.

anyway, thanks for your replies. i've learned a lot just by reading them :)

• Like 2