Best PEV friendly areas?

GothamMike

WA has lots of bike trails, fairly low taxes (no income tax), but "good" weather? Not it. At least on the west (wet) side of the state. Eastern part is better weather (real winter too) but not many bike trails in the towns. There is only 1 "city-class" population center east of the mountains.

In WA PEVs are in the regulatory gray zone... very oddly defined law that covers low powered wheels but not today's more powerful machines. They might get around to fixing that someday though—EUCs are on the radar because of SoloWheel.

• Like 1

Despite what the hollyweirdos claim, I don't know whether anyone would wanna move up to Canada but Calgary, Alberta has the most extensive urban pathways & bikeways network in North America. We have over 1000km of dedicated paved paths with another 290km of on street bike lanes & cycle tracks. And that's not including any of the numerous official offroad mtb parks & trails maintained by the city (including 2 huge parks in the heart of the city, Nose Hill & Fish Creek, all accessible via pathways).

Not bad for a City that prides itself as Cowtown that hosts the annual Calgary Stampede aka The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth including the World's Largest Outdoor Rodeo. We were (or maybe still is) the Oil & Gas capital of Canada as Alberta has the World's 3rd largest oil reserves but sadly, this particular industry is in a bad state of affairs what with the current oil glut & depressed prices.

Regardless its pretty amazing that we have more (many many more in many cases) bike paths than any of the so called green tree hugging cities. And if you're an avid skier &or snowboarder &or mtb'r, Banff & Lake Louise (& surrounding Rockies) almost guarantees powder all season long & are within an hour's drive. 

That said, winters suck but hey, Terry aka @winterwheel & his crew ride their wheels all year round (snow, rain, heat & gloom of night) so there's that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Alberta has the World's 3rd largest oil reserves but sadly, this particular industry is in a bad state of affairs what with the current oil glut & depressed prices.

Oh wont somebody invent a gasoline powered EUC please?!

San Francisco has one of the best trails in the world. First leg, forest view - a ride through Golden Gate Park down to the Great Highway by Pacific Ocean. Second leg- Ocean view from Great Highway toward Golden Gate Bridge. Third leg- More ocean view from Golden Gate Bridge toward Fisherman's Wharf, luncheon there. Fourth leg- City view, ocean view, entertainment from Fisherman's Wharf, along Embarcadero toward AT&T park. Fifth leg - City view from AT&T park toward Hunters Point. A round trip about 40 some miles. Fun, fun, fun.... This is what tourists come here for...of course, better only if they know how to ride EUCs, but there is always e-scooters, e-bikes... to rent at low rates!

Edited by scubadragosan

Chattanooga TN ain't bad, humid as hell in the summer though but great mtn biking, rock climbing and curvy roads for sport bikes and cars, we have a 20 mile or so river walk path that is concrete with lots of neat bridges that winds along the river. RockyTop here would know more riding areas than I, he's been doing it a while and has lots of miles under his belt in this area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Oh wont somebody invent a gasoline powered EUC please?!

That would be awesome if it could come in a small pkg, exhausts zero heat nor fumes nor smells & is dead quiet as we wouldn't want the high rental hoods to be up in arms. Wait...don't we already have such a beast call an EUC (with double emphasis on the "E")😜

Sadly such a gas powered beast would be DOA while in the stillbirth stage. RIP Amen🙏😇

Edited by Scottie888

20 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Connecticut has a ton of bike paths and beautiful forest . Its expensive to live there though

Connecticut has a "pension bomb" taxes will keep going up. Lousy winters.

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

California? Hell, with enough cheddar for two homes, does one even have to be in the USA?

Planning to retire to a low tax state, I'm now virtual and might as well live in a low tax state fo most of the year.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:07 PM, Scottie888 said:

Despite what the hollyweirdos claim, I don't know whether anyone would wanna move up to Canada but Calgary, Alberta has the most extensive urban pathways & bikeways network in North America. We have over 1000km of dedicated paved paths with another 290km of on street bike lanes & cycle tracks. And that's not including any of the numerous official offroad mtb parks & trails maintained by the city (including 2 huge parks in the heart of the city, Nose Hill & Fish Creek, all accessible via pathways).

Not bad for a City that prides itself as Cowtown that hosts the annual Calgary Stampede aka The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth including the World's Largest Outdoor Rodeo. We were (or maybe still is) the Oil & Gas capital of Canada as Alberta has the World's 3rd largest oil reserves but sadly, this particular industry is in a bad state of affairs what with the current oil glut & depressed prices.

Regardless its pretty amazing that we have more (many many more in many cases) bike paths than any of the so called green tree hugging cities. And if you're an avid skier &or snowboarder &or mtb'r, Banff & Lake Louise (& surrounding Rockies) almost guarantees powder all season long & are within an hour's drive. 

That said, winters suck but hey, Terry aka @winterwheel & his crew ride their wheels all year round (snow, rain, heat & gloom of night) so there's that.

Winter riding is whole new kind of adventure. We don't just do street riding these days but we do winter off-roading group rides too.

It's actually pretty awesome to be out in the woods with your wheel on a nice winter day, a couple of degrees below freezing, sun shining; it's close to a skiing vibe.

We have about 28 kms of groomed winter trails in Edmonton river valley as well, for more relaxed winter riding.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Winter riding is whole new kind of adventure. We don't just do street riding these days but we do winter off-roading group rides too.

It's actually pretty awesome to be out in the woods with your wheel on a nice winter day, a couple of degrees below freezing, sun shining; it's close to a skiing vibe.

We have about 28 kms of groomed winter trails in Edmonton river valley as well, for more relaxed winter riding.

Nice! I'm unsure if there are groom trails in Calgary but if there are, I think I'd have to drive to get there. I do most of my winter wheeling on the bike paths where the entrance are <1km from the house. If I want more fun, I deviate off the paved trails & do the snow covered fields & parks. Not going all mean mountain man yet as I'm still using the ori street tire but I hope to change to knobbies (& perhaps screw in some studs, maybe) by next winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive only visited my uncles but do plan to make another trip this summer. But there are a ton of bike trails by hartford and theres one thats like over 100 miles long that connects new haven allllll the way to springfield Massachusetts. But besides bike trails Connecticut is full of nature conservatories and parks, plenty of wooded trails to go get lost in

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...