Gotway RS 19 HT VS. Inmotion V11. Buying Our First EUC!!!

Hello All!!

I currently have 4 ebikes and just found out about the EUC world and have been talking to EUCO.US in regards to purchasing a pair. My big dilemma is I live in Washington State where there is nothing but HILLS and MOUNTAINS. I would really like something with suspension but I'm torn between the RS 19 HT because of its power and the V11 for its suspension? Any help and thoughts of which i should get would be awesome! We would be using them for both off road and on road purposes probably 50/50. im 205lbs and the wife is about 150 so not to worried about power for hers just mine. I noticed with riding ebikes that the only one that got us up steep hills were our 1500w ebikes anything lower didn't stand a chance even with shifting to the lowest gear. 

Thank you any advice and help!!!

• Like 3

Heyo!

Both the RS and V11 are plenty strong for mountains, nothing to worry about here. EUCs constantly have to balance you upright, even in case of a sudden bump or other power spike. So running out of power isn't a thing like with ebikes. If you ran out of power, even for an instant, you'd be on the ground. Nobody builds wheels that just crash people on the next incline or pothole.

Always follow your intuition in regards to EUCs. If you already now say you want suspension, get a wheel with suspension:) That would be the V11. Now if you somehow think the V11 is the rational choice but the RS just is the wheel that you can't help but like, get an RS.

The RS might hold a little longer under continuous extreme conditions, that's the only difference to the V11 in regards of capability. People buy the RS for the form factor, perceived torque (RS HT),  speed (well that would be the RS HS) and the feel of riding (firmware), not because it can do more for anything but the most demanding riders.

Check out this video by @Marty Backe if it helps.

He has an entire V11 playlist. Whenever you see an MSP (msuper Pro), that's the RS predecessor with the same battery, board, and motor, so it's 99% comparable to the RS. And don't be put off by his preproduction V11 frying on his "overheat hill" test, that hill is extreme and it's not the final version of the V11 (I think they fixed something, I forgot the details. Maybe @Marty Backecan tell).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Heyo!

Both the RS and V11 are plenty strong for mountains, nothing to worry about here. EUCs constantly have to balance you upright, even in case of a sudden bump or other power spike. So running out of power isn't a thing like with ebikes. If you ran out of power, even for an instant, you'd be on the ground. Nobody builds wheels that just crash people on the next incline or pothole.

Always follow your intuition in regards to EUCs. If you already now say you want suspension, get a wheel with suspension:) That would be the V11. Now if you somehow think the V11 is the rational choice but the RS just is the wheel that you can't help but like, get an RS.

The RS might hold a little longer under continuous extreme conditions, that's the only difference to the V11 in regards of capability. People buy the RS for the form factor, perceived torque (RS HT),  speed (well that would be the RS HS) and the feel of riding (firmware), not because it can do more for anything but the most demanding riders.

Check out this video by @Marty Backe if it helps.

He has an entire V11 playlist. Whenever you see an MSP (msuper Pro), that's the RS predecessor with the same battery, board, and motor, so it's 99% comparable to the RS. And don't be put off by his preproduction V11 frying on his "overheat hill" test, that hill is extreme and it's not the final version of the V11 (I think they fixed something, I forgot the details. Maybe @Marty Backecan tell).

I did watch this video! i actually dont like the look of the RS at all haha i think it looks like a boring suitcase with cool lights. the V11 is much more visibly appealing to me. I am not worried about some of your mentions at the beginning of your comment of the balancing and not crashing what my concern is mostly is enough power to easily go up hills and STEEP ones. i watch all these videos of people going up hills and they are mainly like our forest roads here but much less incline. There has been some instances where i road our 1500w ebike up a very steep incline (maybe 35%) probably more than a mile long and it handled it, so i want to make sure that i wont be disappointed by the EUC's power and capabilities. i know the V11 is less V and less Wattage motor and that is my concern. I am hoping someone here has had a chance to compare the 2 models on steep inclines and offroad hills.

If you're really looking at loooong 35% hills (that is crazy steep! - you sure about the number?), I'm not sure any wheel can reliably do it. In the end they all have far too thin motor power cables and too small mosfets for the extreme currents involved. A real unmitigated mountain climber wheel, a wheel that you can't kill no matter what - it doesn't exist yet. (I wish it would, that's what I want). But EUCs are pretty good already, and I recommend you take what you can get:)

40 minutes ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

i know the V11 is less V and less Wattage motor and that is my concern.

Motor wattage doesn't matter. The motor isn't the limiting part.

All I can say is that the RS has bigger mosfets, a board not cramped in a small box, and a bit smaller currents due to the higher voltage. That speaks for it on extreme hills.

The V11 is apparently the better wheel for you if you can temper your expectations, especially given that the RS also might not do what you want (I don't know).

Maybe it helps to get an impression what EUCs can do if you check out all the "overheat hill" videos on Marty's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricUnicycles/videos

37 minutes ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

I am hoping someone here has had a chance to compare the 2 models on steep inclines and offroad hills.

Someone else has to chime in on that.

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you're really looking at loooong 35% hills (that is crazy steep! - you sure about the number?), I'm not sure any wheel can reliably do it. In the end they all have far too thin motor power cables and too small mosfets for the extreme currents involved. A real unmitigated mountain climber wheel, a wheel that you can't kill no matter what - it doesn't exist yet. (I wish it would, that's what I want). But EUCs are pretty good already, and I recommend you take what you can get:)

Motor wattage doesn't matter. The motor isn't the limiting part.

All I can say is that the RS has bigger mosfets, a board not cramped in a small box, and a bit smaller currents due to the higher voltage. That speaks for it on extreme hills.

The V11 is apparently the better wheel for you if you can temper your expectations, especially given that the RS also might not do what you want (I don't know).

Maybe it helps to get an impression what EUCs can do if you check out all the "overheat hill" videos on Marty's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricUnicycles/videos

Someone else has to chime in on that.

That is good to know about the mosfets and the board not being cramped on the RS. when i say 35% and mile + long it may be exaggerated but my 1500w ebike was on its lowest gears and i had a hard time getting to the top with it hahaha i was honestly concerned it was going to overheat not from the steepness but the length of the hill... You are pushing me more the RS my friend! i wish they had a more powerful suspension one that wasnt the $3k for a sherman or $3.5k for the EX...

per wikipedia Baldwin Street, Dunedin, New Zealand is the steepest street in the world at 35%

No direct drive e-powered device is going to like a 35% grade for very long (gearing changes things a ton so a bike has a fighting chance). I have a pretty steep hill near my house that's a block long, when I went up it with my chicken-boned 52kg the wheel was running about 800W continuous power. Double my weight and you're at the far outside edge of the continuous operating power envelope of any EUC made today (800 x 2^2 = 3200W).

Coming down was abject terror, actualized. Maybe 2 mph, full squat, got the death wobble from being so tense (no pads to lean on). "Bailed" by sitting down about another 6 inches. At any rate, I learned that I really don't want to be wheeling on anything close to 35%, and won't be riding down that hill again. Ever. Up is fine, but I'm walking down.

(this is the pretty steep hill to which I refer, it's nowhere near as steep as Baldwin Street—I'll try to get it measured)

3802 47th Ave SW - Google Maps

The long steep ride I want to try this summer is this one... been up in a car and the top is "one of those fine things in life" although the road is a very technical ride cuz it's in terrible shape so I don't expect to make it Slate Peak Mountain Bike Trail, Winthrop, Washington (mtbproject.com)

Edited by Tawpie
delete attachment

4 hours ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

Hello All!!

I currently have 4 ebikes and just found out about the EUC world and have been talking to EUCO.US in regards to purchasing a pair. My big dilemma is I live in Washington State where there is nothing but HILLS and MOUNTAINS. I would really like something with suspension but I'm torn between the RS 19 HT because of its power and the V11 for its suspension? Any help and thoughts of which i should get would be awesome! We would be using them for both off road and on road purposes probably 50/50. im 205lbs and the wife is about 150 so not to worried about power for hers just mine. I noticed with riding ebikes that the only one that got us up steep hills were our 1500w ebikes anything lower didn't stand a chance even with shifting to the lowest gear. 

Thank you any advice and help!!!

aesthetically i too had reservations about choosing between the RSHT and the V11, the V11 won hands down of course.

but i chose the RSHT as the more pragmatic fun. and i love the RSHT. absolutely no regrets. max speed at like 35, up hills and in the rain. a few days ago i went up a narrow 14% spiraling hill (per the strava bike app) after a snow fall with about 1" (not much but still) of snow. people will mention the bearing issues for hollow bore motors (which is actually a grinding and knocking sound that develops for some buyers of either EUC), but this is a misconception mainly, i know because i solved it

id get the v11 for my wife, and the rsht for myself if i were you.

all the excellent points have already been made by the cool kids above! enjoy!

29 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

per wikipedia Baldwin Street, Dunedin, New Zealand is the steepest street in the world at 35%

image.png.7ee85e481302da459c938b6a3db52622.png

No direct drive e-powered device is going to like a 35% grade for very long (gearing changes things a ton so a bike has a fighting chance). I have a pretty steep hill near my house that's a block long, when I went up it with my chicken-boned 52kg the wheel was running about 800W continuous power. Double my weight and you're at the far outside edge of the continuous operating power envelope of any EUC made today (800 x 2^2 = 3200W).

Coming down was abject terror, actualized. Maybe 2 mph, full squat, got the death wobble from being so tense (no pads to lean on). "Bailed" by sitting down about another 6 inches. At any rate, I learned that I really don't want to be wheeling on anything close to 35%, and won't be riding down that hill again. Ever. Up is fine, but I'm walking down.

(this is the pretty steep hill to which I refer, it's nowhere near as steep as Baldwin Street—I'll try to get it measured)

3802 47th Ave SW - Google Maps

The long steep ride I want to try this summer is this one... been up in a car and the top is "one of those fine things in life" although the road is a very technical ride cuz it's in terrible shape so I don't expect to make it Slate Peak Mountain Bike Trail, Winthrop, Washington (mtbproject.com)

What EUC do you have?

KS16XS (but I want to add another battery to make it into an full X). It's a great off roader, cool running up hill (the champ I believe), just not terribly fast. 25 mph? is safe. It'll go 30 according to KS but I won't be going that fast on it.

18 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

KS16XS (but I want to add another battery to make it into an full X). It's a great off roader, cool running up hill (the champ I believe), just not terribly fast. 25 mph? is safe. It'll go 30 according to KS but I won't be going that fast on it.

You live in Washington? Go take your to port townsend and take it to town from the old base and let me know if yours can handle those hills? Jackson St or Cherry st.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+Townsend,+WA+98368/@48.1262767,-122.7705695,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x548fe9a4d291b6fd:0xf5e669eab50680c0!8m2!3d48.1170387!4d-122.7604471

48 minutes ago, StealthPhoenix said:

aesthetically i too had reservations about choosing between the RSHT and the V11, the V11 won hands down of course.

but i chose the RSHT as the more pragmatic fun. and i love the RSHT. absolutely no regrets. max speed at like 35, up hills and in the rain. a few days ago i went up a narrow 14% spiraling hill (per the strava bike app) after a snow fall with about 1" (not much but still) of snow. people will mention the bearing issues for hollow bore motors (which is actually a grinding and knocking sound that develops for some buyers of either EUC), but this is a misconception mainly, i know because i solved it

id get the v11 for my wife, and the rsht for myself if i were you.

all the excellent points have already been made by the cool kids above! enjoy!

This is what i am thinking. Guess this might be the best option haha

Edited by CaseysCustomCycles

1 hour ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

You are pushing me more the RS my friend!

I'm afraid I am! I'm a mountain rider (or rather I want to be a mountain rider, not possible with my old ass wheel, which I learned in 2017 by frying it on a mountain). If I had to buy an 18 inch wheel for that, it would definitely be the RS (HT or HS) simply for the beefier board and the fact that the MSX and MSP (direct predecessors) were extremely robust in that regard.

It's an extreme use case. For any "reasonable" riding, the V11 should be good enough. But if you want the "best" 18 inch mountain climber just for that, I guess that's the RS.

Not sure about 16 inchers (Nikola, 16X) vs. 18 inchers. In doubt, a smaller tire should always be better. But I have no experience with any of these wheels on mountains, so someone else must tell you.

17 minutes ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

This is what i am. Guess this might be the best option haha

Naturally, "why not both?" is he best solution;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaseysCustomCycles said:

if yours can handle those hills

I need to get out there and check the Fort out. Looking at the topo map though, all the >$1k EUCs will do just fine in those hills. You can pick the best looking wheel without hesitation!

All brand new models have teething pains and the hollow bore bearings fall into that class. If you enjoy tinkering with your wheel the world is your oyster. But if you'd rather set it and forget it, a more "mature" design is worthy of consideration.

Just now, Tawpie said:

I need to get out there and check the Fort out. Looking at the topo map though, all the >$1k EUCs will do just fine in those hills. You can pick the best looking wheel without hesitation!

All brand new models have teething pains and the hollow bore bearings fall into that class. If you enjoy tinkering with your wheel the world is your oyster. But if you'd rather set it and forget it, a more "mature" design is worthy of consideration.

So your thinking I would be happiest with the V11? and it would handle port townsends hills without issue? i am over 6ft and 200lbs.

Never ridden one, but the suspension gets excellent reviews. It's a plenty strong wheel and lots of people take it off road. I think you'd be very happy honestly. And with any of your choices I think you're going to get a rather large set of "OMG--this thing flat out eats the hills" eyes though. You need to be aware of that. It'll end up costing you thousands and thousands because you won't be able to stop adding ponies to the stable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

Never ridden one, but the suspension gets excellent reviews. It's a plenty strong wheel and lots of people take it off road. I think you'd be very happy honestly. And with any of your choices I think you're going to get a rather large set of "OMG--this thing flat out eats the hills" eyes though. You need to be aware of that. It'll end up costing you thousands and thousands because you won't be able to stop adding ponies to the stable.

This is why i had 6 ebikes and now have 4 lol was one i wanted more and better and 2 they just werent cutting it so it was becoming trial and error because no places around rent a variety or were what i was looking for, that is why im trying not to have this happen with the EUC is i want the right one since they are $2k+ each... i really like the look of the V11 and the suspension i just dont want it being under powered is my concern. honestly i dont ever see myself or wife riding 30mi between charges so distance isnt really a concern for me/us.

If you want to see how some people push their wheels, check out EUC Bros videos on YT (they ride Gotway tho). They're local. And very brave. Chooch Tech does a lot of off road riding as well and has reviews of pretty much all the wheels—that'll provide a good baseline of what you'll be doing "soon". (maybe, these guys are a little daft honestly)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Chooch Tech does a lot of off road riding as well and has reviews of pretty much all the wheels—that'll provide a good baseline of what you'll be doing "soon". (maybe, these guys are a little daft honestly)

It should be mentioned that Chooch is like half the weight of @CaseysCustomCycles. A heavy rider he is not:)

But yeah, watch videos and maybe you get a feel for which wheel is for you. And always follow your heart/trust your intuition that says "I can't say why but I kinda want that one".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It should be mentioned that Chooch is like half the weight of @CaseysCustomCycles. A heavy rider he is not:)

But yeah, watch videos and maybe you get a feel for which wheel is for you. And always follow your heart/trust your intuition that says "I can't say why but I kinda want that one".

I'm really leaning on the RS because the power and responsiveness everyone says the V11 is a little slow to respond and is tuned in the "safer" side and I'm not sure if that's something that can be adjusted?

Hey! Another Washingtonian! I'm down in Vancouver and I had a similar dilemma earlier between the RS HS, V11, and S18. I decided against the Gotway because I lived in an apartment and didn't want to take the risk of my wheel blowing up. And I decided against the S18 due to its small battery. My Inmotion V11 gets delivered Thursday and fingers crossed I made the right decision! :D

• Like 1

I got an mten3 just after Christmas not thinking I would receive an RS for my birthday. I got the RS HS(C30). I haven't killed either one yet. I'm 6'2" and weigh around 250 pounds. I haven't had the time to take the RS to the mtb trails. I have been using both of them for last mile commuting. I'm going to run the RS rain or shine. I did  open the outer shell on both sides to check the assembly work. I did fix a few discrepancies. I reopened it a week ago after riding it in a downpour. No water intrusion. I'm still in the process of waterproof it. I also opened the mten3 to check the assembly work as well. No discrepancies on it. The tire wouldn't hold air. I got frustrated and yanked the tube out and converted it to tubless. The tube had a pinch hole in it. I might do the same on the RS if I have issues.

Edited by Unipilot69
Spelling