Would tilt forward (VERY gently) instead of tilt back reduce overlean accidents?

Tawpie

I figured I'd start a dumpster fire since it came up in Evlution's podcast...

It seems to me from watching the famous OW nosedive where they guy was standing on the front of the board until it died on him, that the feedback mechanism for "you are asking more than I can deliver" is backwards. It seems if you're going fast and want to go faster that raising the front of the pedals gives you a better something to lean into, something to step on harder. Shouldn't the wheel do something that "makes" you want to back off instead?

I'm suggesting instead of tilting back, maybe gently, ever so slowly, ever so smoothly, tilt forward. Slow and smooth is the key, no rapid angle change. 2 degrees at most, maybe 3, never more. The idea is to make your instinct be to shift your weight back, rather than stand on the front of the pedal. Danger! The wheel is pooping out. You can feel the impending faceplant is coming.

I know for me if I started to feel like I was going to tip myself over the front of the wheel, every cell in my body is going to be screaming "oh Lordy, slow down slow down". I highly doubt I'd lean farther forward.

Obviously this wouldn't be so good for sudden accelerations, it's more for pushing and pushing and pushing the speed. I don't know what you could do about MJ leans into pads when you're already at speed. Maybe just ignore the input?

Edited by Tawpie

It's much more predictable to tilt back than tilt forward for an average person. Tilt back is effective. The only possible missing link is to increase the buffer so the wheel can actually back you down at its designed top speed.

• Like 1

Why would you have a safety feature that could cause you to fall off the wheel? People can’t even ride in soft mode, being already leaned forward and slamming into a “tilt forward” would cause a ton of people to fall off the wheel and rightly accuse the safety feature of being the reason. 

You can’t always gently tilt forward because tiltback reacts according to how aggressively you reach the threshold. It might work if people slowly reached top speed, but if they accelerated aggressively and hit it then it would need to speed up how fast it tilts you forward, likely causing a fall.

• Like 1

Pretty important distinction--OW XR pushback is incredibly mild compared to EUC tiltback. It's easy to miss, esp. since it actually goes away if you speed up. The biggest safety improvement Future Motion could put in place is borrowing from EUCs--have the tiltback speed be user-settable, and have it increase in intensity if the rider continues to speed up. Bonus points for an audible motor load alarm.

Tiltback on every EUC I've ridden has been obvious and effective. Raising the pedals naturally slows you down and makes it more difficult to speed up, which is exactly what I want to happen when I'm approaching top speed.

• Like 2

Plus, tiltback makes it easier to slow down, providing a better leverage. A "tiltfront" would make it harder, and raised the chances of slipping from pedals (right in front of the machine) if you "slammed the brakes" during the tiltfront. :D 

8 hours ago, BoseHeadphones said:

Pretty important distinction--OW XR pushback is incredibly mild compared to EUC tiltback. It's easy to miss, esp. since it actually goes away if you speed up. The biggest safety improvement Future Motion could put in place is borrowing from EUCs--have the tiltback speed be user-settable, and have it increase in intensity if the rider continues to speed up. Bonus points for an audible motor load alarm.

Tiltback on every EUC I've ridden has been obvious and effective. Raising the pedals naturally slows you down and makes it more difficult to speed up, which is exactly what I want to happen when I'm approaching top speed.

If you ride Onewheel XR under Sequoia Mode, the limit is 12mph is reached and pushback is decent. Just not anywhere as strong at top speed from what it seems as Onewheel is closer to a board, which the riding position has more leverage to overcome.

4 hours ago, madbikes said:

If you ride Onewheel XR under Sequoia Mode, the limit is 12mph is reached and pushback is decent. Just not anywhere as strong at top speed from what it seems as Onewheel is closer to a board, which the riding position has more leverage to overcome.

The different modes have different pushback limits, but that affects a ton of other ride parameters too. Bare minimum they should make pushback adjustable in the custom shaping mode.

15 hours ago, BoseHeadphones said:

Bonus points for an audible motor load alarm.

Piggy-backing on this, the OW definitely needs an audio alarm, but I've also thought it could be good if it had a vibration capability in its deck like a strong xbox controller vibration. Obviously not suitable as the only warning (as something like riding on bricks or metal grating would make it imperceptible), but could be a nice addition (particularly if it had a distinctive rhythmic pulsing effect, not just a flat 'on').

Edited by AtlasP

If you give Onewheel slightly more power and keep it at 19mph, I am fairly certain you can have rather strong pushback/tiltback without an audio que.

I cap my V11 at 22 for now. By the time the alarm comes in to tilt me back, I am at 25 at most. Regardless of how I lean, it will back me down.