Suspension good or bad? Soft mode rules!

Wgm

[Split off from the Monster Pro Topic]

On 1/16/2021 at 1:45 AM, houseofjob said:

LOL, man, people sure have short memories. 24Pro missed like 3 soft launch dates due to reported issues, and still this piece of sh*t work was released with these issues.

Gotway sure went into panic mode alright: panic because they lost all their engineering vision and talent to Veteran, and it really shows.

Anyone who knows my posts knows I love big wheels (and I cannot lie) so the 24Pro should have been a layup for Gotway to get someone like me to buy it (believe you me, I was softening myself up to possibly buying it right up until I actually got on the thing), and even then, I thought it was one of the worst wheels I've ever ridden in my 6 year, many many EUC history.

To me, the ride feel was was God awful, the equivalent of having to accelerate and brake a Mack truck with weak brakes. Plus, you don't buy big EUCs cuz of the stock tire: one of the redeeming qualities of big wheels is that you have many many 3rd party moto tire swap options, more than any smaller 18-20" diameter / 14" rim and below wheels.

I really want at least a 26" out of Veteran, with please Dear Lord, NO SUSPENSION 🙏 我讨厌悬架 👿 @Linnea Veteran. Any manual unicyclist knows 24" is near the bottom range of unicycle tires, a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none", akin to what EUC riders tend to think 16" EUCs are.

The bread and butter real road touring unicycles (before you have to jump up to mount) are around 28", which coincidentally is one of the most common motorcycle tire option sizes at 90/90-21.

Have you tried the ex.n?  Any thoughts if so.  I always enjoy your opinion.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wgm said:

Have you tried the ex.n?  Any thoughts if so.  I always enjoy your opinion.

LOL thanks. 

Nope, haven't tried the EX.N, but I've heard the response / resistance / ride feel is along the lines of all these new hollow bore motor 🔥🔥🧯 Gotways, at best something like a soft mode Nikola (which isn't very soft at all IMHO), so probably won't be my cup of tea.

If I happen on a chance to get a feel, I will report back, but at this point, the Veteran Shazam is the clear frontrunner I'd say, EX.N seems to be a re-tread in response to the Shaman just because they can, except not as well made or as much range/performance. Not to mention all the joys of rusty bearings!

Edited by houseofjob

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

LOL thanks. 

Nope, haven't tried the EX.N, but I've heard the response / resistance / ride feel is along the lines of all these new hollow bore motor 🔥🔥🧯 Gotways, at best something like a soft mode Nikola (which isn't very soft at all IMHO), so probably won't be my cup of tea.

If I happen on a chance to get a feel, I will report back, but at this point, the Veteran Shazam is the clear frontrunner I'd say, EX.N seems to be a re-tread in response to the Shaman just because they can, except not as well made or as much range/performance. Not to mention all the joys of rusty bearings!

i am genuinely interested to know why you dislike suspension (not talking of current suspension wheels, but the principle in general). And come back to nyc chat :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Plus, for "sport" riding like I do (drawing from the car world), you never have a loose cushion-y suspension: you always have a much tighter suspension, almost to the point it's not even there (too much suspension travel will rob you from push off the road for acceleration)

that's why EX suspension is awesome :D

@houseofjob Have read and agreed with (and learned a fair amount from) a lot of your posts the past several years, but I must respectfully yet strongly disagree about suspension (and I think the history of wheeled vehicles is on my side). Without retreading the same arguments, here's hoping EUC manufacturers don't continue their trend of knee-jerk reversing course/kowtowing to the pressure of the vocal minority on this particular topic and instead continue to explore and advance EUC suspension implementations specifically aimed for on-road applications (not just intended & tuned for off-roading).

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

@houseofjob Have read and agreed with (and learned a fair amount from) a lot of your posts the past several years, but I must respectfully yet strongly disagree about suspension (and I think the history of wheeled vehicles is on my side).

LOL, I’ve never said I’m against suspension, all I’ve ever said was I don’t like suspension wheels for me and my use case, ie. my one man opinion.

And I’d hardly say the EUC manufacturers listen to the vocal minority of 1 like myself, otherwise we’d see all wheels be 32” with 4kWh, no suspension and awesome free-swinging soft mode :D.

The only reason I’m vocal is because I feel like the manufacturers bend to all the first / second year (often longer) new rider opinions, riders who have yet to fully explore EUC riding and just want band-aid solutions (*cough* pads) instead of actually learning the craft (any rider who has really explored better EUC techniques knows that opinions are dramatically different once you go down the rabbit hole, depending on your riding dynamics; the same wheel can be described completely different based on the way, or lack of way, you ride).

In an ideal world, we would see development of both awesome suspension and non-suspension wheels, both brick hard mode and soft mode wheels (this I have a much bigger gripe than the suspension debate), but EUC, despite the pandemic PEV growth, is still a niche market. These mom and pops still have only so many limited resources to make so many wheel models each year, so as an EUC enthusiast who wants to buy new better awesome wheels that I personally want for me myself and I :D, I’m just putting in my 2 cents as counterpoint, feel free to disagree all you want.

BTW, this is all moot cuz most of the companies in question aren’t cracking open their VPNs to listen to this 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

awesome free-swinging soft mode

little off topic, but have you tried the V11 soft mode yet? (comfort mode, 0% sensitivity) I feel like I am alone who likes this extreme swinging type of riding, I wonder what is your opinion about this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ádám Szitás said:

little off topic, but have you tried the V11 soft mode yet? (comfort mode, 0% sensitivity) I feel like I am alone who likes this extreme swinging type of riding, I wonder what is your opinion about this.

Oh man, the V11 soft mode is real swinging soft mode!? Wow, I had no interest cuz of the hollow bore issues and suspension and lack of speed/range, but this has me intrigued to try one, thanks!

This would be a vast departure because InMotions have historically been tuned pretty hard across the board / across modes.

I'll report back if/when I get the chance to be on one.