Whats your riding gear ?

bpong

y'all;

If there is already a thread for this,  please feel to move this topic to that respective thread.

to start things off,  i will list my stuff that i currently wear and carry with me on most rides.  it amounts to about 10-12 lbs and its not that heavy at all.

- i use a hockey helmet.  i see the frowns already.  yes, its not as 'safe' as a dedicated bicycle helmet (motocross style) or as safe as a motorcycle helmet (such as a nice shoei) but my choice for the hockey helmet was keeping my ability to hear all around me during my ride.  the helmet is good enough for my use, and i can drill and attach stuff to it without worrying about voiding any warranties and such.  i have ridden motorcycles for over 18 years so im familiar with a safe helmet (shoei) but these helmets sacrifice the ability to hear audio effectively.  plus the hockey helmet is quite light and airy during summer.

- after reading about the safety gear on this forum,  i do wear my knee pads, elbow pads, gloves, and wrist guards.  i have also mounted a bicycle "ding ding" bell to my left hand glove.  its very very handy to give friendly warnings to other users of the cycling lane as i approach them.

---------------------------------------------------

- use a good quality back pack.  my choice is a deuter back pack, model futura 24 with aircomfort back mesh.  my back stays cool during summer riding temperatures and the construction is top notch.  german designed,  manufactured in vietnam.  my back pack contains the following items:

folding chair:  Helinox model Ground Chair (one of my most fav items - initially i thought it was over the top, but in the end its a must have for my intended use)

pelican 1060 case containing an DJI Osmo action cam,  battery charger, and various cables to charge my cell phone

peak design Capture camera mount:  this is mounted on one of the backpack straps to hold the action cam during a ride

it also has a mini air pump (surprisingly used alot),  digital air gauge (a cheapie one), powerbank, charging cables and adaptors, spare action cam batteries,  bicycle multitool,  leatherman wave, opinel #8 food knife.

- i also wear a 2 inch wide leather utilty belt (cheap, from amazon, $13 CAD)  which has mounted on it, these following items:

2 x utility pouches.  1 utility pouch contains a pelican G10 micro box,  the 2nd utilty pouch is there to hold my cell phone.  i also put my wallet into the 1st pouch as well.  the G10 micro box contains a set of knog Lil' Cobber lite set - one of the brightest led bicycle riding lites you could use at night !!!  these are mounted to my hockey helmet

2 flashlights for night riding:  1 x imalent DM21C (backup flashlight) and 1 x fenix TK35UE (main flashlight).  the fenix is one hell of bright flashlight and its more of a flood light beam.  the imalent is good as a backup lite,  bright enough for riding at night.  it also has a good beam that is a compromise between a flood and spot.  i have used bicycle headlights but found them lacking in brightness.

1 x Smith & Wesson 21 inch collapsible baton (no comment)

1 x carabiner for hooking my helmet to when not wearing it (it hangs from my waist)

thats about it.  you may think this is too much gear,  but in my riding experience,  its a must have.  especially the safety lighting and road illumination.  you get what you pay for,  so i would try to get the best lighting that my budget would allow.  as for the folding chair, that is a luxury for sure.  but if you have a favorite eatery that you visit occasionally,  and you enjoy eating outside,  having the ability to immediately bring out your chair, and enjoy your snack comfortably makes alot of sense IMO.  plus,  if you have ridden a fair distance and need to sit down,  again, whipping out the chair and comfortably resting for several minutes cannot be beaten in my books.  i find that the folding chair adds a certain amount of civility when im exploring different outdoor eateries during spring, summer, and fall.

to conclude,  here is a simpler listing of what im carrying and wearing:

bauer hockey helmet,  knee & elbow pads,  wrist guards, leather gardening gloves
light and motion helmet mount (2), zip tied onto helmet
fenix TK35UE flashlight
imalent DM21C flashlight
knog Lil' Cobber lite set
catseye rear lite mounted on backpack
blackburn 2'Fer Front or Rear 2-Pack light set:  i use these as spare lights to attach to anything including clothing and baseball caps
pelican box model 1060 - fits nicely in the bottom pocket of the backpack
pelican box model G10 personal utility case fits nicely in the belt pouch
helix model ground chair (folding) - black and blue
deuter backpack futura 24
Smith & Wesson baton 21 inch collapsible SWBAT21H (displayed just right of the carabiner in picture entitled a_beltandhelmet.jpg)
opinel #8 folding knife carbon steel blade; great for eating sausages, cheese, fruit on the go... carbon steel blade
crank brothers m17 multitool for those moments when things needs refastening or tightening...
digital air pressure gauge - cheap one from amazon, i have given up on manual gauges which i find never last.

one thing you should know is that alot of the above gear is carry over from my cycling and camping gear.

cheers !!!!

bpong

a_beltandhelmet.jpg

a2_fronthelmetlite.jpg

a3_rearhelmetlite.jpg

a4_gloveringer.jpg

b_backpackcontents.jpg

b2_foldoutchairbag.jpg

b3_foldoutchairassembled.jpg

b4_pelicanbox.jpg

b5_peakdesignmount.jpg

b6_peakdesignmount.jpg

• Like 1

not trying to impress anyone.  again, its always "you get what you pay for", especially in the lighting and safety gear.  if you want the best night time lighting, outfit yourself with the best lights you can afford.  if you want comfort (im now 63 years old),  add a chair.  at my age, i deserve to sit down once in a while.  it all packs nicely, and not too weird looking at that.  mind you,  the flashing knog lights do make one look abit like a jet plane at night,  but better to be seen than not seen.  thanx for the feed back and have a great and safe riding season for 2021 too !!!

• Like 1

Wow, @bpong, are you going camping?

my standard safety gear...

Boxers

Socks

t-shirt

blue jeans

sunglasses

cigarettes

lighter

Sometimes I toss in a mesh riding jacket w/pants and a helmet with flexmeters and a lemfo watch. Typically just getting my standard gear on w/o the extras, is almost too much. I have a MC suit otw for when i decide to mingle with high speed traffic on highways. If it aint a step in and go thing, it wont be used often either. Not a fan of cell phones or extra devices.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

i like your adaptive approach.  nice to be young,  im jealous already !!!! have a great and safe riding season 2021 as well !!!

oh yes, i do go camping, and with the same gear too !!! (plus the added tent and wife)

bp

Edited by bpong
  • Like 2

I usually wear just clothing and my keys. Often earplugs. No helmet, no cell phone, goggles, pump, nor backpack. If my wheel breaks down then it's a long long walk.

My philosophy is to ride slow, yet faster than what I could jog. If I need to go faster I take a bicycle. I look at wheels as enhanced legs and not as high speed eScooters. It's just too easy to have bad crashes on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

😄😄😄😄 that’s exactly what I first thought when I saw all the gear. Man is going on an expedition every time he leaves the house 

A wheel should allow you to do more, not less, things. That's similar to when I had a motorcycle; the gear was so specialized and difficult to stroll with that thr motorcycle became so impractical it ended up being a toy.

In contrast, a wheel and its close cousin the bicycle lets you do more, not less, things.

I think the chair is genius, especially these days when not-from-home consumables are all obtained from a take away window. Or during the summer when the beach/lake/view/stream/shade is *right over there*. One never knows when the roses need a good smelling. I'll admit to having a light fetish (which is totally screwball because I mostly ride during daylight hours) so I have got to figure out how to justify those lights. Programmable patterns, yeah baby.

Why is the hockey helmet not a reasonable choice though... it's for a sport where it's pretty expected that you're going to slam your head into the ice or boards over and over, right?

Edited by Tawpie

The Earth is my chair and I neednt carry it around B)  Hell, I dont even care to tote the weight of heavy shoes or a watch and wallet. Keys in pockets bother me as well.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

A wheel should allow you to do more, not less, things. That's similar to when I had a motorcycle; the gear was so specialized and difficult to stroll with that thr motorcycle became so impractical it ended up being a toy.

In contrast, a wheel and its close cousin the bicycle lets you do more, not less, things.

I get his logic though. I have two different bookbags, one with way too much stuff just in case and the other bare minimum. It shouldn’t hurt to always be prepared, but man does my back feel a lot better after a 3 hr ride with no bookbag then it does with...

• Like 1

That's quite a kit! Expansive, yet purposeful. I like the glove mounted bell, I was thinking of getting one I could wear as a ring. Or maybe just finally learn how to finger whistle.

I've been wearing helmet, wrist and knee pads if I'm planning on leaving my neighborhood. Haven't wrecked yet but would hate to do so at 30 mph without at least that much protection. I got a Fox Proframe helmet for this purpose that seems about as unobtrusive as I could expect a helmet with chin guard to be and Icon Street Knee pads which I'm super happy with so far. Still rocking the free eWheels wrist guards.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? I've been rolling in my Vans. Have heard beefier high tops recommended by some but I think I have enough shoes already without a special pair for riding EUC.

Shoes,.... i mainly use the cheapest vans off the wall runners.  IMO,  nothing i have tried matches their rubber sole.  Nikes are much more comfortable and more cushioned,  but nike doesnt have the classic vans rubber sole.  For winter riding i use columbia boots.  Keeps me feet warm.

• Like 1