Xmas Eve Batch from eWheels

r_713

Hello, Fellow Riders.

eWheels has sent out my Sherman via FedEx today. From what I understand, roughly 120 wheels are going out today. I'm starting this thread for us 120 (that are members here) to document our experience.

I'm on the east coast, so I'm not getting my Sherman until NYE (fingers crossed).

Anyway, I look forward to this thread providing great feedback and thoughts.

Cheers.

EDIT: I meant 120, not 200.

Edited by r_713
Updating wrong info.

17 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

Says Monday for delivery when I just checked , I'm on the west coast

I already have one but my buddy wasnt gonna be home so its coming here first so I can swap out and add some bits to it for him. 

You're modding it for him? What are your mods, if you don't mind me asking?

28 minutes ago, r_713 said:

You're modding it for him? What are your mods, if you don't mind me asking?

Dual headlights, front bumper stand with pixel control, running lights with strobe controller, wider flexible side pads,  rear turn and brake light extenders, TPU rear fender, rear bumper maybe too, and probably a seat 

This is my Sherman, 

IMG_20201025_163212730_HDR.jpg

rear.jpg

Edited by Willy510
  • Like 3

@Willy510 Very cool. My night vision isn't good, so I don't ride at night and these mods won't be that beneficial to me. However, I do crash from time to time so I'm planning on immediately zip tying some baby bumper padding to the Sherman. I have a roll.nz neoprene bodysleeve for my KS 18XL which has kept the wheel in near pristine shape but unfortunately they haven't created one yet for the Sherman.

Looks like they are moving through the Fedex system pretty good since it just updated to be delivered on Sunday now but with the huge amount of shipping this week it may update a few more times before it shows up 

15 hours ago, Willy510 said:

Looks like they are moving through the Fedex system pretty good since it just updated to be delivered on Sunday now but with the huge amount of shipping this week it may update a few more times before it shows up 

Mine has now been updated to Dec 30.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, Willy510 said:

Dual headlights, front bumper stand with pixel control, running lights with strobe controller, wider flexible side pads,  rear turn and brake light extenders, TPU rear fender, rear bumper maybe too, and probably a seat 

This is my Sherman, 

IMG_20201025_163212730_HDR.jpg

rear.jpg

This is awesome!! Do you sell this?? Or do you mind telling me where to buy the parts? I have a 3D printer

First off, I apologise for the bad mobile phone camera photo.

Anyway... I'm not happy with the grip on the pedals on my 18XL. In anticipation of the Sherman, I decided to order some custom grip plates from Abec11/Chris Chaput and see how they fare. They arrived today. I can't wait to try them out.

PXL_20201227_024438707.jpg

Sherman just arrived and the pedal mounts don't seem to be any higher than my other Sherman but they are a tiny bit wider or the plastic tops of them are a few MM wider at least . 

Update : after some more looking around it looks like the motor has been moved down a little which makes the pedals a bit higher , not sure by how much since I have a different tire on my sherman  and this one has the knobby tire 

Edited by Willy510

2 hours ago, Willy510 said:

Update : after some more looking around it looks like the motor has been moved down a little which makes the pedals a bit higher , not sure by how much since I have a different tire on my sherman  and this one has the knobby tire 

From what I have heard more recently (from a French Forum member IIRC), the change in pedal height is likely to Only be by 1cm!  This would have been achieved by moving the axle mounting hole in the pedal hanger as far as it is able to be moved, without impacting on the slots for the shims/mounting holes.

The original pedal hangers shown below give an idea of how Little the hangers themselves can be modified, hence Only being able to achieve the 1cm change in height!

I personally think this is most probably a very good/calculated change by Veteran IMHO, as such a small change will still give some extra pedal clearance, without impacting too much on the Sherman's unmatched stability, poise, balance, COG, and precision handling!!!

129722226_2789828494573445_2436598882239

Edited by fbhb

screenshot_2020-12-28ybkgq.png

Those are also available as 30mm lifts. Unfortunatly new hole for the axle has to be drilled in the shell, maybe also motorwires extended. Giving the extend of modifications needed for a substantial lift i see why veteran is avoiding to change the design of the wheel.

Edited by DangerDan
  • Like 2

I get mine tomorrow. Was originally slated for Friday, but got bumped up 3 days! Hella excited. The low pedal clearance is my only concern with the wheel, mainly over turn radius/pedal scraping. I'm gonna try and get some Nylonove XL Sherman pedals w/ the adjustable angles to help counteract it. That plus the supposed extra 1cm should be a big help.

image1.jpg?width=490&height=632

the Big Boy is here. Got the velcro in place for the Clark Pads and went for a 12 mile ride today. Didn't manage to push the wheel past 34mph, but man, this thing is a beast. Barely put a dent in the battery with those 12 miles, came back home and was still above 85%. Another thing I was kind of taken aback by: this wheel is LOUD. The kenda tire SCREAMS when you get going. It's kinda sick, honestly. Very excited to ride more, wanna take it on a multi-town trip. My other wheels can't handle that distance roundtrip, this one definitely can!

• Like 2

This if my first wheel and I was in this batch as well! Just got it four day’s ago on Monday. I only have about 20 miles under my belt but for my first wheel I think I picked it up pretty quick! It is so smooth and the large tire definitely contributes to an easy learn. The weight took a while to get used to holding up with one foot before mounting but I am all over that now on day four. EWheels sent me an email when the Sherman arrived and under the waterproofing section they warned that this wheel isn’t the best (because of the known issues with the LCD and following cutout) but they also said they were sending out a clear vinyl cover for the screen. Pretty cool! I look forward to getting that as I was planning on buying a whole roll of like 3 inch flex tape. 

My wheel came today too! Just went out on my first ever ride on any EUC. So far this thing is awesome.

Everyone's right it's really hard to get started but once I got the hang of it it felt really smooth. I've only been riding around on it for about an hour and a half but I'm able to start and go without using a pull or anything.

Low speed handling is going to be the hardest to learn I feel like. I'm super glad I have the Sherman with the roll cage cuz I've definitely dropped it a few times. I was able to hop off a few curbs without any trouble. The weight of the Sherman really helps with bumps, It just feels solid when you hit them. I have not even come close to unleashing the power of this thing The max I've been able to go is about 25 mph. 

my only complaint so far is that I wish they would have used a more modern updated screen. And I am definitely going to want to put some pads on this thing

• Like 1

Alright! (or is it "all right"? I know that "alot" is supposed to be "a lot".)

Anyway, my VS arrived today (west coast to east coast) and I went out for a quick 10km jaunt. Roads should be dry tomorrow and I'll probably take a long-route ride over to Manhattan tomorrow for a good 80km or so. In the meantime, here are my initial impressions. Mind you, my only EUC experience is a King Song 18XL of which I've logged around 1500km over the past three months.

Impressions upon unboxing and setting up:

1. Maybe I'm used to slugging the 18XL up a flight of stairs several times a week but I was a bit shocked about the weight of the VS. In that, I mean it wasn't heavy. For me. I've watched several youtube videos of riders struggling with lifting it, or struggling to push the box into their apartment. Sorry guys. You're either being overly-dramatic or you need to go to the gym. It's not THAT heavy. I was concerned but after real world experience, I have no worries about carrying it one-handed up a flight of stairs (albeit I'll be a bit winded, no lies).

2. From an industrial art/form factor viewpoint, I love it.

3. I hate that there isn't a lift sensor. I'm used to the 18XL, so I naturally lifted up the VS (with both hands) which then spun up at a ridiculous rate and not being able to stop it, I had to set it down. This happened twice. I now have two nice, big, black skid marks on a yoga mat. Hopefully, they'll wash out. Hopefully, I'll learn not to do this again.

4. I'm unable to connect with EUC World on my Android. I CAN connect to darknessbot (is it just me or is this a weird name?) but it's my work iPhone and, for obvious reasons, I don't want to use this.

5. I've never used power pads. I installed the factory ones and they are custom-tailored to fit.

6. The LeaperKim charger "wheezes" a lot. I need to test it but it seems a bit suspect.

7. The on-wheel control panel is a whole other set of criticisms which I won't go into here. Suffice it to say, it's a good start but needs feedback and refinement.

8. Oh, and eWheels (Jason and Drew) have been great!

Impressions after riding a short 10km:

1. I was immediately impressed at the balance, much better than my 18XL. The VS is VERY well balanced. Shockingly so. Great engineering.

2. I've never ridden a suspension wheel, but compared to the 18XL, this was what I imagined that suspension would feel like. Obviously, the VS is not a suspension wheel. I suppose the feeling is mostly due to the knobs of the tire. Regardless, I was riding over rough patches with ease (I'm excited to ride this down the entire length of Broadway in Manhattan) and I felt so much less vibration traveling through my knees. As such, I found myself taking it for granted and not being diligent in looking ahead at the pavement (which is NOT smart).

3. I've decided that I don't like power pads. On my 18XL, I've learned to flick the wheel around back and forth between my legs, a bit like alpine skiing. On the VS, the power pads kept me too locked in, or the pad would prevent the wheel from returning to position. I did a series of 180s and the pads greatly hindered me. I will remove them for tomorrow's ride and I'll be able to get a better feel for the VS's nimbleness. They also hindered my ability to brake hard as I had to shift my calves out of the pads to continue moving backwards (I like to straighten my legs as I lean back to brake which prevents wobbles for me). It was annoying. If someone could enlighten me as to what problems power pads solve, I would be much appreciative. (maybe I'm not riding aggressively enough to warrant their use). Otherwise, I'll opt for the simplicity of legs and wheel.

4. I wish that roll.nz would make a cover. I don't want to scratch this up. Redundancy alert: I find it a beautiful piece of industrial design.

5. DAMN, the front light is bright. This will be super helpful in being noticed.

6. Can I exchange the rear Superman light for a Marvel character light? Maybe SpiderMan.

7. Oh, and I almost forgot... while doing my 180s, I felt some serious pedal dipping. I almost fell forward the first time because, not used to it, I thought that the VS was cutting out. I don't like this and this definitely needs to be addressed.

Anyway, if you're serious about EUC, I definitely think that the Veteran Sherman is an option that requires serious consideration. I'm glad that I made the splurge. Anyone want to buy an 18XL? :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

PXL_20201231_193220173.jpg

Edited by r_713
  • Like 2

So I had a little issue today.. I noticed the same thing everyone else did the tire seemed to wobble a little bit when I lifted the wheel and spun it. I deflated to about 10 psi and rode a few feet as suggested by other people here and then refilled the tire with air. It didn't seem much better then so I just kept riding. 

As I was riding down one of my trails here I heard the sound like when a stick gets caught in between the frame in the wheel like a rubbing. I thought the noise was just something stuck in there so I kept going and it got louder and louder and then eventually the wheel just halted mid-ride and I fell off. 

When I went to inspect the wheel I noticed that the tire had popped off of the rim and the tube was bulging out. My valve stem was barely accessible, but I was able to reach it and deflate the tire so that it would spin again. 

I was running at about 35 PSI when this happened. I'm not sure if something actually did get stuck in there and that's what ripped the tire off the wheel or what happened. Luckily my tube did not pop or puncture. 

Not sure what could have caused this.... I will try to seat the tire at home and hopefully it goes better next time. I was wearing wrist guards and that saved me big time.   

has anyone else had this happen or does anyone have some tips so it doesn't happen again? 

I'm a journeyman auto mechanic by trade and mount tubeless tires all the time. I inspected it right before the ride and didn't see anything that was crazy out of the ordinary. It wobbled slightly but that was it...  

Edited by Fiori

God damn, what an amazing wheel. Blazing through some windy secluded backroads at 38mph was the first experience where I couldn't stop myself from shouting out loud like I was on a rollercoaster. Never have I felt so in control at a speed like that, the Sherman eats up road imperfections so easily. One of my biggest stresses on my Nikola is the wheel slipping out from under me when I lean to the side, I NEVER feel that on the Sherman. Love, love, love this wheel.

@Fiori that's pretty crazy. Haven't heard of anything like that happening on any wheel for that matter. Maybe something was wrong with your rim..? Glad you're safe at the least.

I took the wheel home that day and reseated the tire and tube and checked it for puncture overnight and it didn't lose air. I put another 45 miles on it today and didn't have any issues. I sent an email to ewheels to see if they have any input. 

At this point I think either 1.) A large rock or stick got stuck inbetween the frame and knocked the tire off the bead. Or 2.) When I rode it 20 feet at low pressure to try to even out the seating it caused the tube to get situated weird or get pinched. 

Its really is a great wheel. I had a blast on my second day with it today. I have way more control now and it feels great. It's so smooth and quiet with the street tire. The range is just insane and it's everything I wanted in a pev. 

13 hours ago, Fiori said:

A large rock or stick got stuck in between the frame

On my first day, I heard a clunking and immediately stopped. Upon inspecting the wheel, I found a rock lodged in between two of the knobs. Maybe this happened to you, but I suspect that the clunking noise you heard was related to your theory #2 and was the tire unseating and hitting the sides. Pure speculation, obviously.

It was more of a rubbing sound, which im sure was the unseated tire rubbing the frame. I definitely should have stopped right away and i wouldn't have fallen. I'm lucky it didn't damage the tube honestly. 

At this point im convinced it was seated weird and came off from that. It was perfectly fine for 45 miles on day two after reseating. I messaged kujirolls on insta and he said that he replaced his tube, cleaned the tire soaped it up and pumped to 60 psi overnight. When i get some tire lube from work on Tuesday i'll try to do the same thing and carefully seat it to get it as straight as possible. 

Edit: here is a video of the wobble if anyone else has the same concern. It's in slow motion: 

Edit2: This issue now has it's own thread(https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/21301-does-veteran-have-a-tire-problem-tire-off-the-rim/). (TLDR: It's a rim size issue not a tire issue).

Edited by Fiori

Oh yeah, Kuji did have that happen to him, huh. I totally forgot. Wonder if it's specifically an issue with the street tire then?

Incredibly off-topic but thank you @Fiori for posting that video in slow-mo, the sound of a Sherman no-loading in slow motion is something I genuinely want to incorporate into an ambient horror track now, hahaha