Strange failure Inmotion V8F

Rollbot

Has anyone ever seen this sort of a weird issue? This is my first EUC. I've owned it for a couple of months and it has less than 70 miles on it. I've never crashed it other than it falling over a couple times while I was learning to mount and dismount. I've never ridden it in rain or rode through puddles. Since I've only had it for a couple months, I have never ridden it over 13 mph.

Whatever happened, I'm glad it didn't happen while I was in motion. Diagnostics point to " motor hall signal error" E-wheels offered to send me a motor to replace myself, but I am not mechanically inclined at all and there is a new noise when picking up the wheel, as if something is flopping around loose inside the shell. Are they really that fragile that falling over from a standstill could break something loose inside of them?

Anyway it's going to cost me over $100 to ship the wheel out to be repaired, and I'm guessing I will be without it for over a month, I already miss it ☹️☹️ I'm so tempted to be financially irresponsible and buy a 16x now and try to sell the V8F when it comes back, but I live in an extremely rural area and it would be difficult to sell, and property taxes are due next month, so I guess I'll do the responsible thing and just watch videos and read forums while I pine for my wheel. 

• Like 2

It sounds like a loose control board. It think you just need to tighten any loose screws around the internal circuit board. Also check the bolts on the pedal hangers etc. Wait for a few people to comment before opening it up though. Here's a video on disassembly:

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 1

@Rollbot Hi welcome to the forum & sorry bout your wheel. Unfortunately, crap happens & we must deal with it. Unless one lives in a city where one actually buys the wheel from a store with a service center, shipping is part & parcel of wheeling. 

That said, if it were me, I woulda taken the opportunity & accepted ewheel's offer to ship me parts for a diy repair. While I understand you're not mechanically inclined, there's no better time than to start now. As my pappy says, if I can't be handsome, then I gotta be handy. I gather you must be the former so think of how perfect you'd be once you're both. LOLs just a bit of jest 😁. However necessity (or isit laziness) is the mother of invention so we do what we must.

Yes you could buy another wheel but who's to say the same won't reoccur. Also while EUCs aren't high maintenance overall per se, there'll come a time for a tire/tube change at the very least. Good news is the wheel will have to be taken apart same's for a mobo change & bad news is the wheel will still have to be taken apart even for the smallest issue/s. Luckily there's a bunch of diy YT vids to use as reference.

Being that there's very few physical EUC stores, I & likely >90% of wheelers are in the same boat as you interms of service (or lack there of). Luckily you bought off ewheels where at least you have good options. Imagine if you bought direct from China & the shipping times & costs involved even if full warranty/service was offered!

• Like 1

v8 very serviceable wheel (swapping out the motor is really ez - lots of vids available to walk you through the process. If you have $$ to burn and an alternate ride, then shipping may be ok. Otherwise learn to tear down and re-assemble your wheels - it will save you time and $$$ in the long run and make you less dependant on dealers. EUC is really not very complicated machine - controller,batt,motor. Replacing any of these is really not difficult... Get your courage up and tackle it next time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rollbot said:

I already sent it off to the E-wheels repair center in Tucson. 

That's a shame. It would probably of taken 30 mins to take the cover off and just tighten the loose screw. The reason why it vibrates back and forth like that is because the control board is loose and therefore it thinks the wheel position needs adjusting but every time it moves the wheel the board shakes into a new position and so the wheel has to adjust again. It ends up vibrating backwards and forwards making that sound.

• Like 1

The good news is that it was delivered to Ewheels today, that was quick for ground from New York State to Tucson. Maybe I'll have it back sooner than I thought. When I get it back, what's your thoughts about putting slime in the tire? 

16 minutes ago, Rollbot said:

They sent me pictures of the broken part, a video showing that it's working perfectly now, and it was the motor axle. Jason told me that he will give me a discount on my next wheel for my troubles.

That's a perfect, concrete example of why people trust/rave about ewheels. Even most businesses with decent support/service aren't going to provide explicit documentation of the process like that (with video!) so you can feel more confident with the repairs and resulting state of the wheel. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, Rollbot said:

The good news is that it was delivered to Ewheels today, that was quick for ground from New York State to Tucson. Maybe I'll have it back sooner than I thought. When I get it back, what's your thoughts about putting slime in the tire? 

I hate slime and love e-wheels...

16x is a great next wheel ( i went from v8 to 16x )! Took me 1 hr to get used to the greater mass/gyro effect  but I almost never ride my v8/s1 now cuz they feel like toys in comparison... 16x is a beast that can tackle so much more! And even just for casual riding 16x much more comfortable and solid... I highly recommend.

• 3 years later...
On 12/12/2020 at 1:53 AM, Rollbot said:

Ewheels customer service was exemplary. I wasn't happy that I had to pay shipping, but they have that spelled out right on their website, so I can't complain about that. Even though it had to go ground because of the large battery, it still got across the country from New York State to Tucson in less than a week, and they only had a few days, and it's on the way back to me. It may actually be here tomorrow. They sent me pictures of the broken part, a video showing that it's working perfectly now, and it was the motor axle. Jason told me that he will give me a discount on my next wheel for my troubles. Around tax refund time I'm considering picking up a 16x. I'm not interested in more speed but more range and a greater margin of safety. I think paying shipping to send it out was worth my peace of mind knowing that it was done correctly. 

Can you send me the pictures of the broken part ?

I have the exact same problem with my V8f

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin99 said:

Can you send me the pictures of the broken part ?

I have the exact same problem with my V8f

Hope you're lucky, Rollbot was last online 2 years ago ;)