Veteran Sherman through NYC

Ben Kim

Nice riding! You make the veteran look very nimble navigating NYC traffic - something I didn't expect from a 77lb wheel tuned for speed.

How do you find the acceleration from a standstill and low-speed torque?

How much effort was it to weave through cars, compared to other wheels?

Do you find the soft mode to be lagging or in any way detrimental when responding to quickly changing traffic?

15 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Nice riding! You make the veteran look very nimble navigating NYC traffic - something I didn't expect from a 77lb wheel tuned for speed.

How do you find the acceleration from a standstill and low-speed torque?

How much effort was it to weave through cars, compared to other wheels?

Do you find the soft mode to be lagging or in any way detrimental when responding to quickly changing traffic?

A bit sluggish from a standstill, you really need to dig your heels and toes into the pedals to make it move from a stop (or lean really hard), where this wheel shines is at speed north of 25 mph where it will go screaming past cars no problem. 

I’ve whipped a Gotway Monster just the same around the city, no problems, weight maneuverability may come into play at lower speeds, but honestly once you’re moving at speed weight hardly matters. 

I absolutely love soft mode for everything EXCEPT braking. The reverse dip is very strong on Veteran soft mode, to the point where I would wanna add some tugs to the rear of the wheel to help with that. Since I hate these powerpad things so much (they restrict lateral movement which you see i like) I will just stick with medium 

EDIT- note I have a first batch Sherman. eWheels batches will have modified firmware (lower top speed, current limiting based on board temp, higher low end torque, firmer pedal modes per @Marty Backe) so my opinion may not matter for those buyers. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 2

Nice video. 

Do you think the low end sluggishness has to do with not using power pads or something more inherent to the wheel? Certainly kuji had excellent acceleration times on his so I’m surprised to hear that.

Riding in nyc can be a bit unpredictable in terms of bikes or cars jumping out in front of you unexpectedly. How’s the braking on your wheel? Do you feel you can brake hard from speed and come to a sudden stop without wobbling and possibly losing control?

1 hour ago, shellac said:

Nice video. 

Do you think the low end sluggishness has to do with not using power pads or something more inherent to the wheel? Certainly kuji had excellent acceleration times on his so I’m surprised to hear that.

Riding in nyc can be a bit unpredictable in terms of bikes or cars jumping out in front of you unexpectedly. How’s the braking on your wheel? Do you feel you can brake hard from speed and come to a sudden stop without wobbling and possibly losing control?

I suppose you missed the part of Kuji's video where he has custom tailored foam pads contoured to his legs.  If that's how he likes to ride, more power to him.  I like having free lateral movement as it keeps you more agile to take quick hard turns when needed (especially in NYC).  Honestly emergency braking is less of an issue than hard acceleration; pull the front guard rail as you brake for even more power.  I've had to do it more than once.  That guard rail is not just for shell protection folks!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...