18XL stopped balancing while standing still

JerryR

I've noticed that with the "Lift to stop running switch" on, when pulling up the trolley handle, occasionally my 18XL stops balancing and the only way to get it to balance again is to turn it off and turn it back on.

A couple times in the past few days, after coming to a stop and just standing with one foot on the wheel, the wheel stopped balancing. The handle was in the down position and I didn't touch the handle. I had to turn the wheel off and on to balance again.

I have since turned off the "Lift to stop running switch" for fear it might cut-off while riding. I have a 1,000 miles on the wheel. Not sure why I was using the switch in any case. I seldom have use for it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I had the problem last week where my lift sensor didn't re-engage. My instance was lifting the wheel, setting it down, then the wheel didn't re-engage balance. I had to cycle the power to get it normal again. Haven't had the problem again so far.

I do lift my wheel alot into my car. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am a but worried the sideway pressure on the handle could mess something up.

I'm still very new to EUC's and the XL is my first wheel that I'm early in learning to ride.

I still haven't actually figured out how to get the lift sensor to even work, is there something in an app I need to do?

I've dropped this wheel many times already, a few times when I picked it up the self balancing seemed to be off kilter and I needed to turn it off and on to get it balancing properly again.

None of the quirks are a deal breaker as the wheel is easy and quick to shut off but a functioning lift sensor would be helpful in some situations. For example, the first couple times I picked it up and didn't know the wheel would run away were a bit amusing. I have a couple little burn out spots on my floor :)

Edited by UniMe

LOL, I never practiced indoors :) I'm rolling 10k or more on my outings now. I did turn it on to connect to the app and try out the trolley mode, but didn't realize the wheel would spin when I picked it up.

The APP thing is the question I've been fishing around to answer. Is there somewhere on the appl (EUC World) where I can check if the sensor is on? Or, do I need the KS APP? Or , is this even possible? A universe of possible options for this newbie haha

by the way, that motorcycle sound on the EUC World app is faf! It even has an ignition sound for when it first turns on -- too much!! haha

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

BTW, the KS18(X)L is really easy to disassemble. Just open the two side panels and have a look at the lift sensors. Maybe the screws holding them in place did come loose a bit. It should be really easy to fix this issue.

1 hour ago, pandel said:

BTW, the KS18(X)L is really easy to disassemble. Just open the two side panels and have a look at the lift sensors. Maybe the screws holding them in place did come loose a bit. It should be really easy to fix this issue.

good point, I'd like to exhaust the APP option first though.

4 minutes ago, UniMe said:

good point, I'd like to exhaust the APP option first though.

Using the EUC world app there is a way to check for the lift sensor.  Its under "Wheel Settings"   Look for "Lift Sensor"

LiftSensor.jpg

Edited by Paradoxedgewater
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, JerryR said:

I've noticed that with the "Lift to stop running switch" on, when pulling up the trolley handle, occasionally my 18XL stops balancing and the only way to get it to balance again is to turn it off and turn it back on.

A couple times in the past few days, after coming to a stop and just standing with one foot on the wheel, the wheel stopped balancing. The handle was in the down position and I didn't touch the handle. I had to turn the wheel off and on to balance again.

I have since turned off the "Lift to stop running switch" for fear it might cut-off while riding. I have a 1,000 miles on the wheel. Not sure why I was using the switch in any case. I seldom have use for it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I had a very similar issue when my wheel was new. Fortunately it can only cut off when its not moving. The fix was to replace the little micro switches at the bottom of the handle poles.  The lift switch function is still a bit flakey in that it will still occasionally not engage or re-engage and requires a power cycle to re-engage the motor. BUT it has never cut out while standing still without touching the handle since I replaced the switches 1000 miles ago.  

• Like 2

@CGPro856 very helpful for me to learn the cut off switch only works when it is not moving! Very helpful indeed!

From above, I finally figured out how to turn it on but after a day noticed that the switch is twitchy and sometimes shuts off the wheel when I extend the trolly handle or otherwise interact with the handle even if I don't put any where near enough pressure to actually lift it up. This spooked me -- big time! and gave me visions of the handle turning off the wheel going over a bump or something... but, I'm guessing some poor schmuck was the lab rat for that experiment long ago and the risk was mitigated by a software solution. 

Regardless, I don't miss having the lift sensor enough to tolerate it's inconsistent behavior when I'm moving the wheel around so I'll probably just leave it shut off...

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:00 PM, UniMe said:

@CGPro856 very helpful for me to learn the cut off switch only works when it is not moving! Very helpful indeed!

From above, I finally figured out how to turn it on but after a day noticed that the switch is twitchy and sometimes shuts off the wheel when I extend the trolly handle or otherwise interact with the handle even if I don't put any where near enough pressure to actually lift it up. This spooked me -- big time! and gave me visions of the handle turning off the wheel going over a bump or something... but, I'm guessing some poor schmuck was the lab rat for that experiment long ago and the risk was mitigated by a software solution. 

Regardless, I don't miss having the lift sensor enough to tolerate it's inconsistent behavior when I'm moving the wheel around so I'll probably just leave it shut off...

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably fix it. I'd suspect its a bad solder joint where the microswitch attaches to its little circuit board. Of four switches I have, two looked like this. Once I fixed them my handle has been 100%

Screenshot_20200810-173426_Gallery.jpg

@CGPro856 I've had my 18L open a few times, but never looked at my lift switches. The times I had it open and thought about it, it looked like they were buried somewhere and not an easy fix.

Is that pic at the bottom of the rail? Not sure what it's showing.

I'm coming up on a tire / tube change...sometime (I've been saying that for 750 miles now), so I may want to look at that. 

Edited by Circuitmage

I ended up in the rain a couple of days again w my 18L.  Went through a puddle that turned out to be so deep my feet go thoroughly soaked! I didn't fall off or anything- just disappointed to have went through so much water w the wheel.

That night the wheel started acting weird - with it not balancing when powered on. It would balance dor a second then just quit balancing Intermittently.

The next day I noticed that when the lift sensor was activated in EUC world, the 18L would stop balancing. The 18L would balance when the lift sensor was deactivated.

I'm thinking the lift sensor switch was affected by the water..

Is the switch from the 18XL any better?

Will it work on the 18L?

I could just leave the lift sensor off- I have tried thay over the last couple days and the wheel functions great- yet I find it really convenient to use the lift sensor at work, visiting the coffee shop, getting the 18L into my place etc.

Edited by Sentient
Add comment

I wonder if when the lift sensor dries out that it will function normally?  How long ago did this happen? 

13 hours ago, Paradox said:

I wonder if when the lift sensor dries out that it will function normally?  How long ago did this happen? 

Well. This morning I started the wheel and itook it to work w the lift sensor engaged. I took it easy expecting the wheel to stop balancing at the stoplight  yet it performed perfectly - all day.

Guess it needed to completely dry out.

Now I just new to order the headlight from the 18XL.  My headlight is like performing at 30% of its normal brightness. I read this is a normal thing on the 18l  if one keeps the headlight on all day (which I did). Apparently the 18XL has an improved light.. 

Great wheel in all other respects:)

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1