Jump to content

I'm thinking of buying a Mten3 - quick question first.


Gasmantle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm looking at buying a Mten3 as a second wheel in the next couple of weeks (I already have a KS16s)

The primary reason is I want something small enough to fit in my rucksack on a train and allow me maybe 10miles of riding in a city environment, I'm not bothered about earth shattering performance - just something small and practical.

However, there is a snag - in the village I live there is a steep hill on a road I regularly use and ideally I'd like a wheel able to handle it. The hill is 18% gradient (I think) so it's not a mountain climb but it is relatively steep and about 1/2 mile long.

So - will a Mten3 reliably cope with my needs? 

Any help gratefully appreciated :)

Edited by Gasmantle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Thats a tough one. what do you weigh? Mine makes it up 13-14% just fine with 125lb on it, but it doesnt seem much more.  Its the smaller 67v version. SOrry I can't tell you for sure.

Thanks Shane :)

I'm about 190lbs (85kg).

I use my wheel largely as a means of transport in a relatively remote village, there are essentially 3 routes I use from home depending on where I'm going and only one has the steep hill so I could just choose not to use the Mten3 when heading in that direction but I guess it would be a bonus if I could use either wheel on any route from home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buy one and you won't regret it. If it doesnt make it up the hill, go the other way like you said? You can also sell them fairly easily as the mten is so damn infectious. I don't think the larger versions have more torque than the smaller version, but this is something I can't say for sure. I get mine to cutout in soft grass when trying to climb steep hills and hit a hole. It beeps twice (or someshit) Really fast and just goes to sleep. I've only had it happen in the yard tho. She like to groan when you're really giving it to her. :shock2:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys :)

I'll buy one and see how it goes, it's not essential it can climb the hill as it's a wheel I want largely for city use after a train journey. The hill climbing would be nice but more of a bonus than anything.

@stephenIt looks like this UK lockdown is going to be eased in a week or so, if the pubs etc open I'd be happy to meet up for a beer and have a test ride if thats ok :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Stop thinking, just buy it, the mten 3 is a great little fella. :)

Yeah, it kinda does look to be a fun little thing.

To be honest I'm not a hard core enthusiast like a lot of members here are but I can kinda see the benefit of a 2nd wheel with different characteristics depending on the use I want on the day. I've kind of been thinking of a Mten3 for a while - I quite often go to a railway station about 1 mile away then take a train ride into the city, once I'm there I'd like to be able to do a few miles of riding in largely pedestrianised areas to move between the places I want to visit. Then a quick 1 mile ride home after the train ride and the wheel has done it's job.

At the moment I do go into the city on my KS16s and it is great but does need to be wheeled through shops, carried up stairs etc - the Mten3 does seem to be a far better wheel for the job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing with math here... cause I'm bored.

1 mile is 1609m
1609m * 0.18 = 289.62   An 18% grade is about 290m in elevation change over a mile.

Rider (190lb) + MTen3 (22lb) + protective gear and other carried weight... I'll go with 250lbs.  Let's call it 113kg.

Gravity here on earth remains it's (average) constant 9.8m*s-2.

Multiply those together to get the energy required to lift a 113kg mass by 290m in earth gravity...
290m * 113kg * 9.8m*s-2 = 321146 kg*m2*s-2 = 321146 J.

The continuous power rating of the MTen3 wheel is 800W, which is 800J*s-1.

So to find how long you have to ride at the continuous power rating, divide the required energy by it.
321148 J / 800 J*s-1 = 401.4s

That's 401.4 seconds to per mile at an 18% grade.  Which gives
3600s (in an hour) / 401.4s * mile-1 = 8.97mph.
401.4s  / 60s (in a minute) = 6.69 minutes.  Halve that as your only talking 1/2 mile.

That's a 3.5 minute ride at 9mph.

Of course, this completely ignores that power required to ride 9mph on level ground. And constant power ratings on the motor may be conservative. So you really shouldn't rely on that number. :P  But it should give a sense of what the MTen3 is capable of.  I've gone up much steeper grades, but only for shorter distances.  Overpasses were never an issue, but that's only a couple hundred feet at most.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jengajuice said:

Playing with math here... cause I'm bored.

1 mile is 1609m
1609m * 0.18 = 289.62   An 18% grade is about 290m in elevation change over a mile.

Rider (190lb) + MTen3 (22lb) + protective gear and other carried weight... I'll go with 250lbs.  Let's call it 113kg.

Gravity here on earth remains it's (average) constant 9.8m*s-2.

Multiply those together to get the energy required to lift a 113kg mass by 290m in earth gravity...
290m * 113kg * 9.8m*s-2 = 321146 kg*m2*s-2 = 321146 J.

The continuous power rating of the MTen3 wheel is 800W, which is 800J*s-1.

So to find how long you have to ride at the continuous power rating, divide the required energy by it.
321148 J / 800 J*s-1 = 401.4s

That's 401.4 seconds to per mile at an 18% grade.  Which gives
3600s (in an hour) / 401.4s * mile-1 = 8.97mph.
401.4s  / 60s (in a minute) = 6.69 minutes.  Halve that as your only talking 1/2 mile.

That's a 3.5 minute ride at 9mph.

Of course, this completely ignores that power required to ride 9mph on level ground. And constant power ratings on the motor may be conservative. So you really shouldn't rely on that number. :P  But it should give a sense of what the MTen3 is capable of.  I've gone up much steeper grades, but only for shorter distances.  Overpasses were never an issue, but that's only a couple hundred feet at most.

Jeeez you've lost me , but very well done 👍i think he means it will be ok 😁

44 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

stephenIt looks like this UK lockdown is going to be eased in a week or so, if the pubs etc open I'd be happy to meet up for a beer and have a test ride if thats ok

Yeah sure mate 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jengajuice said:

Playing with math here... cause I'm bored.

1 mile is 1609m
1609m * 0.18 = 289.62   An 18% grade is about 290m in elevation change over a mile.

Rider (190lb) + MTen3 (22lb) + protective gear and other carried weight... I'll go with 250lbs.  Let's call it 113kg.

Gravity here on earth remains it's (average) constant 9.8m*s-2.

Multiply those together to get the energy required to lift a 113kg mass by 290m in earth gravity...
290m * 113kg * 9.8m*s-2 = 321146 kg*m2*s-2 = 321146 J.

The continuous power rating of the MTen3 wheel is 800W, which is 800J*s-1.

So to find how long you have to ride at the continuous power rating, divide the required energy by it.
321148 J / 800 J*s-1 = 401.4s

That's 401.4 seconds to per mile at an 18% grade.  Which gives
3600s (in an hour) / 401.4s * mile-1 = 8.97mph.
401.4s  / 60s (in a minute) = 6.69 minutes.  Halve that as your only talking 1/2 mile.

That's a 3.5 minute ride at 9mph.

Of course, this completely ignores that power required to ride 9mph on level ground. And constant power ratings on the motor may be conservative. So you really shouldn't rely on that number. :P  But it should give a sense of what the MTen3 is capable of.  I've gone up much steeper grades, but only for shorter distances.  Overpasses were never an issue, but that's only a couple hundred feet at most.

Does the tire inflation of Mten3 be considered too? just wondering, what is the proper inflation, since it's now tubeless.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, newbie101 said:

Does the tire inflation of Mten3 be considered too? just wondering, what is the proper inflation, since it's now tubeless.

Well, as I said at the end, I was ignoring the power required to ride along level ground.  Tire inflation would be part of that. To account for it, you could subtract the strait and level riding power from the average (continuous) power rating of the motor.  I just waved my hands and pretended the power rating of the motor was conservative enough it didn't matter.  My mathematical musing were a lunchtime distraction, not a engineering endeavor. :-P

 

34 minutes ago, stephen said:

@Gasmantle have you seen my little review 👍

 

O! M! G!   I really need to fix my MTen3.  Watching you reminds me of just how nimble and fun it is.  I've got the replacement wheel, I just need to figure out how to get the pedal off the broken axle.  Hard to get a nut off a broken bold. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jengajuice said:

Well, as I said at the end, I was ignoring the power required to ride along level ground.  Tire inflation would be part of that. To account for it, you could subtract the strait and level riding power from the average (continuous) power rating of the motor.  I just waved my hands and pretended the power rating of the motor was conservative enough it didn't matter.  My mathematical musing were a lunchtime distraction, not a engineering endeavor. :-P

 

O! M! G!   I really need to fix my MTen3.  Watching you reminds me of just how nimble and fun it is.  I've got the replacement wheel, I just need to figure out how to get the pedal off the broken axle.  Hard to get a nut off a broken bold. :(

There's always a way to get it off , you need to fix that baby wheel 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jengajuicethanks for taking time to do the maths, I rode my 16s up the hill today just to assess how steep it is. Although the road signs state it is 18% gradient in reality it is only that steep for perhaps 100yds whilst the remainder is a more modest climb so I think a 800w machine on a small wheel diameter ought to be ok.

@stephenI hadn't see your video so thanks for pointing it out.

I'll buy the wheel in a couple of weeks and see how it goes :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Another quick question :-

I'm not a speed freak but I do like fast acceleration, what are these little wheels like when ridden hard?

Thanks.

Yes it's got torque you'll soon get up to 24mph😬😬 just don't lean forward to much just put pressure on with your toes

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stephen said:

Yes it's got torque you'll soon get up to 24mph😬😬 

Thanks, it looks like it's time to treat myself to a helmet.

Once the boozers are open we'll have to meet up a beer and chat - I'd kinda like a proper look at your 16x as I may be interested in one later in the year :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks, it looks like it's time to treat myself to a helmet.

Once the boozers are open we'll have to meet up a beer and chat - I'd kinda like a proper look at your 16x as I may be interested in one later in the year :)

Yeah sure mate 16x is still my favourite wheel,,i might have the v11 next time we meet 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

Yeah sure mate 16x is still my favourite wheel,,i might have the v11 next time we meet 😁

To be honest I'm not keen on wide tyres and that has put me off the 16x so I'd like to have a bit of a test drive before I buy one if that's ok with you.

Don't you fancy a S16? I kinda think that looks nicer but it hasn't got the same range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

To be honest I'm not keen on wide tyres and that has put me off the 16x so I'd like to have a bit of a test drive before I buy one if that's ok with you.

Don't you fancy a S16? I kinda think that looks nicer but it hasn't got the same range.

The 18s does look good but i don't go jumping around i just want something that saves me from that unexpected bump and for the trails, I'd probably only get 20 miles from the 18s , the v11 looks better made and i just love the way it looks, maybe a seat option and 1500wh, good lights and it seems very torquey with the new motor 👍

i don't think i could have a wheel less than 3inch , my 16 has the CX tyre which a new one won't have... it will probably have the CYT which feels like a slim tyre👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm wanting a Mten3 also.  I would also love to turn 2 of them into a super Segway :)  

I just having a hard time with the price-premium for the largest battery version.  watching ewheels and may get a lower model once they get them in stock if the timing is right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know many recommend the 67v here, but I’ll go against the grain and say get the 84v  if you can swing it, preferably the 512v but even the 325v lower capacity battery one which goes for $600. Sure you sacrifice some range compared to the 67v with the latter but it’s fun to be able to go a bit over 20 mph without worrying that it might cut out on you.

I see chicway has the higher battery capacity 84v mten3 for $800.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...