KS18L - CST 1488 vs CST 1737 - a totally different wheel now...

pandel

Hi folks!

Today I had to change the tire because the one that came with my KS18L had a small production fault - some kind of sideway "bump" - which led to a wobbleish effect. At first I thought it was me, but it was definitely the tire after I caught the bump on camera. @1RadWerkstatt was very helpful and sent me a replacement tire, same brand, but different type. (Many thanks for that, Chris!)
And the new one is the anti-puncture type, so hey, not only a replacement but an upgrade! Even better!

Everything worked fine so far... at least as long as I went on my first test ride :blink::P - MAN! It is a totally different feeling, especially while turning! With my old tire (C-1488) turning felt smooth and very controllable. Now, with the new one (C-1737) it feels like that I only have to THINK about turning and the wheel falls to the side - nearly got caught by a fence I am used to fly around :D. Also, I was able to turn around in really small circles, but now it felt that I needed room like a car to fully turn around while already scraping the pedals on the ground - I simply wasn't able to control the angle the way I am used to... Maybe it is just necessary to practice it with the new tire again, but it is astounding, at least for me.

I read that the CST 1488 might be a bit softer, which might explain why turns had been so much more controllable and easy. I hope that I will get back the level of control I had.

BTW: the only shop I know of that sells the C-1488 is eWheels, didn't find it on aliexpress or elsewhere. Does anybody know if they ship overseas?  They don't ship overseas, sadly :(

Thought I'd share this... so guys, if you want a really new feeling while riding your "old" wheel, don't buy a new wheel, just buy a new and different tire :roflmao: I bet you gotta re-learn driving at least a bit!

Regards

Holger

Altes Profil.jpeg

Neues Profil.jpeg

Edited by pandel
  • Like 3

Maybe! The tire is rated from 40 to 50 psi. The C-1488 is 35 to 45 and I prefered about 35-37. But I don't know of lowering the pressure can result in another unwanted effect I don't know yet. Perhaps I just try. Additionally, I will try to get another C-1488 somehow, even if it is close to impossible in Europe atm.

EDIT: Additionally, @mrelwood seem to have experienced nearly the same: 

I have already tried to contact as much seller as I can find who might be shipping to Germany to get my old tire type back. I think I will not be able to get the same level of riding back with the 1737 the way I had with the 1488.

Edited by pandel

While I have never ridden the 1737, I’m very familiar with how the turning behavior of the wheel can change with the tire. The wide and solid center ridge and the relatively large gaps before the side “knobs” definitely do hint towards exactly the mentioned behavior.

My understanding is that puncture resistant tires are a bit more rigid than their regular counterparts, which in itself makes them work better with a slightly lower pressure. Add in tire profile and the tread pattern and the best pressure level can vary quite a bit. We can all safely forget the pressure guides stamped to the tire, our use case is special enough to warrant more practical and precise pressure adjustments.

I’d maybe start looking for your new favorite pressure at 10% below your regular pressure.

• Like 1

Yes, my tire is almost bald at around 2200 miles. But I have not ordered another tire yet. I suspect my ride has gradually degraded with the tire and a fresh tire will feel a lot more "sticky" to the ground. We will see soon...

Looking for options.

Thanks.

Edited by Circuitmage

I did thoroughly test the tire on all of the trails I really love today and can say - I HATE THAT TIRE!

At first, I lowered the pressure slightly (about 37 psi, as I am used to with the other tire) but that led to some kind of a wobbly sponge-like effect. I then tried different ways to stand on the pedals, wider, narrower, more knee, less knee, more locking of the wheel to my legs, less locking... blablabla and things like that but it is absolutely not as controllable as the 1488, at least for me.  I fell two times offroad only because I wasn't expecting that kind of behaviour - nothing happened, I only got more and more angry about it. The best thing was a BMX parcours I am used to have some fun with... pah, couldn't even stand the first few ground waves, because I got frightened...

Conclusion: Tomorrow I change back to my old tire, even if it has a small bump on the side which limits my top speed! No single km with this tire again :furious:

Edited by pandel
  • Upvote 1

FWIW, I changed back to my old 1488 tire and everything is fine again. I found a shop on aliexpress who is able to sell this tire. Just ask them for the specific tire type, they have been very helpful and fast. Did order yesterday and the tires are shipped already.

Link to the shop (I hope it is ok to post it here): SEE bike

Edited by pandel
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting you had such a bad experience with the C-1737. Coming from a H-5102 I found it grippy and even in turns, as well as reasonably cushy at 40psi. It feels quite right though I don’t have my precision back yet (250km).

Anyhow just to mention the C-1737 can be appreciated, at least as a street tyre. It probably depends where you come from.

edit: after 3000km: little wear, still confortable. I don't like the way it feels (or rather don't feel) the ground on tight turns though.

Edited by null

Yes, I understand what you mean! As street tire it felt quite good. I'd also say it was grippy and stable on ordinary streets. But if you are used to go offroad like me, need really tight turns and very slow riding, this tire can't keep up with the C1488 in terms of control. Go out, find a decent offroad trail, compare them both and you will find out :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record: I found another really good tire for my wheel: the Chao Yang H-5146
It's characteristics are absolutely on par with the CST C1488, if not even a bit better. Really great control and smooth behaviour, on normal streets and "in the woods".

Yes, I know, it is mentioned already in other threads as a really good one, but you never know if you don't try it yourself :clap3:

IMG_3367.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi Pandel, thank you for your advice. Just bought one today for my 18xl (almost four years after your last post)

I used this model previously on inmotion V5F, and it is amazingly easy to control and comfortable.

So hard to find for the 18xl and expensively sold for a bike tire

Be careful with C1737 tires today. They're not all the same with the old. This includes the C1813.

They come in tubeless ready versions WITH THE SAME model number as the tubed kinds. And tubeless is very different. Heavier but most importantly stiffer sidewalls. If you drop the pressure they will feel completely different from the tubed kind.

Cst would argue that you just put a tube in the tubeless kind and be happy. That's certainly possible for heavier riders or for their main market (electric scooters). The problem is with eucs or most specifically lighter riders on eucs with wider tires. They usually ride lower pressures and tubeless ready tires handle extremely unpredictably at low air pressures. Enough to swap the tire out IMO. (I ride non-suspension wheels so I depend on the lower air pressure.)

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

You can recognize the tubeless vs tubed versions by just looking at the bead (and the label, but sometimes it's hard to see in the pictures). If it's all smooth it's tubeless. If it's got this ribbed pattern it's the softer tubed kind.

Sellers aren't always that helpful either. They don't know what they have until they ship it out to you and then it's too late. If you ask them they'll say "It's a C1737". They really don't care to hear your concern, for a few dollars item. 

For low pressure goodness go with the C1488. To my knowledge they're all tubed version.

The only problem is it doesn't come in 14x2.5in, 14x3in and a few other sizes and then there are only these other models 1737 1813 available where you have to take care.

Edited by alcatraz