Inflatable Kayaks?

Will R

Has anyone here ever taken their EUC with them on a water-based adventure? I'm in the process of buying an inflatable kayak to do just that. Wanted to know if anyone had any tips, nice photos, gear suggestions etc? Now to find a dry bag to fit my 18L ;)

• Like 1

Yes they do seem to be, however cost a little more than comparatively. I started looking at kayaks with drop stitching as they inflate to higher pressures so are more rigid and can carry bear more weight without sagging but they get super pricy too. I'm glad I didn't commit to buying a particular model just yet however, as now we've bought a Veteran each it increases the maximum weight rating we'll need by 70kg 🤦‍♂️ I don't think a more first-world problem exists.

Those tents look very swish and super compact. I would love to get a double but I would feel bad for putting trees through such a task. Much lighter than a poled tent and sleeping bags though. I'm excited to try attaching panniers to the bull bars of the Shermans when they arrive and seeing if we can manage without our backpacks, enabling us take it in turns carrying the boat bag. Failing that, I will look into using the bars as mounting points for a two or one wheeled trailer 🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will R said:

I started looking at kayaks with drop stitching as they inflate to higher pressures so are more rigid and can carry bear more weight without sagging but they get super pricy

I was amazed with the abilities of the High pressure Kayaks.  I bought a used one that had been used commercially. It was nice to be able to invite most adventurous people to go with us while we were in the white water Kayaks. It smoothed out the rapids and made things easier for new people. I also enjoyed being able to take small kids with me down the rapids in the inflatable. 

I have taken my wheels out on the pontoon boat as a marina run about and I was rescued from a dead battery on my EUC by a canoe. 

• Like 1

A couple of climbers from my gym went on a Greenland trip with inflatable Kayaks. They had over 200kg of big wall climbing gear and food with them.
They chose the 'Sevylor Colorado'. They're still alive, so it must be worth something. :D Photos copyright Siebe Vanhee

IMG_0722.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

Edited by Tazarinho
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

A couple of climbers from my gym went on a Greenland trip with inflatable Kayaks. They had over 200kg of big wall climbing gear and food with them.
They chose the 'Sevylor Colorado'. They're still alive, so it must be worth something. :D Photos copyright Siebe Vanhee

IMG_0722.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

I've heard to stay away from Sevylor but that's a pretty trustworthy field test there if I ever saw one! 

8 hours ago, Cody said:

paddles are better ;3 and light :3 !
https://www.facebook.com/taibron.jmeyerphoto_2020-04-26_20-56-27.thumb.jpg.8aa3bcac3995c0899096fcf51fa2e7d0.jpgphoto_2020-04-26_20-50-29.thumb.jpg.85af2fa32581622f8efb2cb518c85d7c.jpg

As for paddle boards, if you can show me how to carry a 70lbs wheel on one without you or it getting wet then I'll consider it 😂

• Like 2

I have an AIRE Solo. I don’t know how the thing can go over so many sharp rocks and never get damaged. It has out lasted two of my Dagger kayaks and It was heavily used before I got it. I don’t know if it is a good brand or not. If they make better ones I am Doubleday impressed. 

• Like 1

I have heard good things about Itiwit. Their seats look nice and I like the felt on the bottom. Does it take a while to dry? Carrying one of these slightly wet is probably going to hit my range, so time-to-dry is something I'm looking out for too.

22 hours ago, Will R said:

I have heard good things about Itiwit. Their seats look nice and I like the felt on the bottom. Does it take a while to dry? Carrying one of these slightly wet is probably going to hit my range, so time-to-dry is something I'm looking out for too.

It surprisingly dries very fast (no fabric, only PVC). You only need a cloth to clean it.

I pulled the trigger on an Intex Explorer K2 today, £99 on Amazon prime. There are better kayaks, but I think this is the most boat for the least cash, and I can likely sell it on when I see a good deal on a nicer one second hand after this summer season. Looking forward to taking it out and updating you all with how it goes.

• Like 1