The good old days

Cranium

On 11/14/2015, 4:55:45, Sweet M said:

Back in the 1980's I used to be BIG in to the Commodore Amiga computer!  Anybody remember those?

You are dating yourself @Sweet M!  lol

I also remember the Amiga though.  It was so far ahead of my Vic 20, Commodore 64 & Commodore 128!  It was such a sweet computer in it's day.

On 11/14/2015, 3:55:45, Sweet M said:

To my knowledge that'd be a "true"......due to the new batch in the process of being prepared for shipment having a "governor" so to speak.  The wheel itself will have the same technical ability as the 14" to go full advertised spec speed but is set for safety reasons not to exceed ~32kph.  Designed for our protection against our own built in need to push the limits of the wheel. Back in the 1980's I used to be BIG in to the Commodore Amiga computer!  Anybody remember those?  Prolly the first actual multi tasking window machine.  Anyway, with that system, when a user typed something incorrect or tried to perform a task with incorrect syntax they'd recieve this message at the top of the screen in RED............"USER STUPIDITY ERROR!".  True story! This new King Song adjustment keeps us from receiving that same message in the form of a KABOOM to the pavement.

Soooooooo, to me, a great feature!

I owned an Amiga 2000.  It was such a cool computer.  I really like the way it was designed with the custom chips.  Before that I had a VIC-20.  My Amiga had "GURU MEDITATION ERROR" messages.  But then there was GOMF (Get outta my face).

Whoops.  Off topic.  :D

I had a Commodore 64 (but with a floppy disk drive, not just cassette deck ;)) that I got from some relatives in the early 90's. Mostly I just played games with it, but it was also the computer that taught me the very basics of programming... well, that, and an old programming book written for kids from (maybe) late 70's/early 80's I found from the school library around 2nd grade. 

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I had a Commodore 64 (but with a floppy disk drive, not just cassette deck ;)) that I got from some relatives in the early 90's. Mostly I just played games with it, but it was also the computer that taught me the very basics of programming... well, that, and an old programming book written for kids from (maybe) late 70's/early 80's I found from the school library around 2nd grade. 

I also have the same Commodore 64. I still remember River raid. Was it before the punch card was invented? 

And..............I remember how excited I was to get my first external hard drive in the mail for my Amiga 500 that'd allow me to have a whopping 1MB storage.  I thought.....I'll NEVER need any more than that!  Hahahahaha :-)

Man, are we oldies!  Lol

Ha, this thread is off topic beyond correction!

TRS-80, programmed my own version of Snakes (was trying to imitate the light cycles in TRON :) )

Apple IIc with a great ASCII Wolfenstein

MAC 512 in college dorm room with fun voice simulator

Yeah, I tried not to respond to John's & Sweet M's post so as to not further clutter this thread.  But....

I programmed on an Apple II in high school.  I used a TRS-80 Model II at my first career job (repairing arcade video games (Pacman, Tempest, Donkey Kong, Defender,etc.)).  I actually got (and still have (in a chest)) a used TRS-80 Model 100 'laptop' (Ha!  8 lines x 40 characters).

In response to @John Eucist I almost got an Atari 800.  But I was about 16 years old and I needed my Dad's help.  He backed out when they no longer included the tape drive for the same price.  Then I almost had him talked into buying an Apple II.  Since he was taking computer programming courses as part of his G.I. Bill he was planning on using it for his school work.  But to use the languages he was learning COBOL, FORTRAN, ADA & LISP he would have needed a Z80 card and it cost about as much as the Apple II.  So I had to wait until I had the money and I bought the VIC-20.

Now that we are on our own topic, I'll post more!  LOL

I remember the trash 80 and it's 8" floppy drive.  I used to help at my church to type in Names and Phone numbers from the phone book.  lol

I did most of my learning on a Commodore 64 in HS (I still remember sys 64738).  I started with a monochrome monitor and a tape deck.  Then upgraded to a color screen and a 5 1/4" floppy drive.  I used a hole punch to makes my floppy discs two sided so I wouldn't have to buy as many discs (double sided/double density would store a whopping 1.44 MB of data).  I remember my 300 Baud modem too!  The text from bulletin boards came across as fast as you could read it.  And then upgraded to a 1200 Baud modem.  It was fast!  I was calling bulletin boards all over the country downloading all kinds of stuff (some not legal)  

Anyone else spend hours typing in the machine code from the back of Compute magazine to get a free program?  I did!  lol

In my Sr. HS year, I wrote a dating service program for the Honor Society to do a fund raiser.  It was on Apple IIC's.  I had everyone in the school fill out questionnaires then the honor society students typing into the computers in the lab.  I then consolidated the results and printed them out for students to purchase who their matches were.  It was like an early version of Match.com.  

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

Now that we are on our own topic, I'll post more!  LOL

I remember the trash 80 and it's 8" floppy drive.  I used to help at my church to type in Names and Phone numbers from the phone book.  lol

I did most of my learning on a Commodore 64 in HS (I still remember sys 64738).  I started with a monochrome monitor and a tape deck.  Then upgraded to a color screen and a 5 1/4" floppy drive.  I used a hole punch to makes my floppy discs two sided so I wouldn't have to buy as many discs (double sided/double density would store a whopping 1.44 MB of data).  I remember my 300 Baud modem too!  The text from bulletin boards came across as fast as you could read it.  And then upgraded to a 1200 Baud modem.  It was fast!  I was calling bulletin boards all over the country downloading all kinds of stuff (some not legal)  

Anyone else spend hours typing in the machine code from the back of Compute magazine to get a free program?  I did!  lol

Never delved into the machine language of the C64 (well, I was around 8 at the time I started with it :D), but I used Basic. Local library had lots of C64-programming books (I think Commodores were a big thing in the 80's in Finland), so I used those, mostly just typing the program listings and playing the resulting games. My "completely own" programs were mostly just simple text-input/output -based stuff at that point. I wrote my first graphical games for PC (MS-DOS) in late 90's with Turbo Pascal.

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

In my Sr. HS year, I wrote a dating service program for the Honor Society to do a fund raiser.  It was on Apple IIC's.  I had everyone in the school fill out questionnaires then the honor society students typing into the computers in the lab.  I then consolidated the results and printed them out for students to purchase who their matches were.  It was like an early version of Match.com.  

Does your CV then say that you were a "cyber-pimp" in high school? ;)

5  REM *** Nostalgia at its BEST! ***

10 Home

20 Print "If you are enjoying this topic type y for yes and n for no"

30 Input Answer$

40 If Answer$ = "y" then goto 100

43 For w = 1 to 33

45 Print "You're no fun!  "

47 Next w

50 End

100 For x = 1 to 13

110 Print "Me Too!  "

120 Next x

130 End

OK, that's it from me on this off topic trip back in time..................  :-)

My family thought I was a big programmer  when I put a basic goto, if program that ask questions and gave response to their answers and ask another question based on their answers.  Simple stuff, a lot of typing.  But I was the "smart" son for a couple months.

• 2 weeks later...

My first personal computer back in 1983 was a Sharp MZ-731 with Z80 CPU and 64KB of RAM. I programmed for our living community the bills for everyone sharing the only telephone ... 

Archived