Fatigue after 1 mile - losing balance

onecho

I've been at this for about a week now. Can get on, can control fairly well the EUC (tighter and wider turns; staying in lane). Always having a little bit of a panic moment when needing to slow down abruptly or when I see cars/people coming at me.

I've been practicing riding around my quiet suburban neighbourhood and having a ton of fun. However, as I attempt to increase the distance, I'm hitting a wall.

At one point, my feet/legs start to feel tired and I start losing balance / assurance. I've already ridden 1, 1.5 miles without getting off the EUC; now all of a sudden, I'm struggling to do 50 yards without getting off and getting back on again. It seems I'm losing balance easily, can't quite control the EUC anymore.

I noticed I have a tendency to grip the wheel between my calves. I also have a tendency to try to grip the pedals with the toes in my dominant/right foot.

Any pointers?

• Like 2

It's probably fatigue, one get wobbly from that, it will pass as you get used to riding.
You don't need to squeeze the wheel (at all) , try to avoid that and relax :) 

Edited by null
  • Like 1

onecho: ride and ride and ride....
make sure you hydrate yourself well

do no tight the wheel between you legs instead try to be more relaxed....
fatigue will go away by her self when you are relaxed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onecho said:

I've been at this for about a week now. Can get on, can control fairly well the EUC (tighter and wider turns; staying in lane). Always having a little bit of a panic moment when needing to slow down abruptly or when I see cars/people coming at me.

I've been practicing riding around my quiet suburban neighbourhood and having a ton of fun. However, as I attempt to increase the distance, I'm hitting a wall.

At one point, my feet/legs start to feel tired and I start losing balance / assurance. I've already ridden 1, 1.5 miles without getting off the EUC; now all of a sudden, I'm struggling to do 50 yards without getting off and getting back on again. It seems I'm losing balance easily, can't quite control the EUC anymore.

I noticed I have a tendency to grip the wheel between my calves. I also have a tendency to try to grip the pedals with the toes in my dominant/right foot.

Any pointers?

Yup, take a day or two off. Sound counterproductive but it isnt. Weather here is so wet tht my first month was sprinkled with a day of now and then. Magically, I didnt lose any gains. Perhaps you just need a short mental/physical break?

• Like 1

For onecho: If you ever become addicted to wheeling and it's time to upgrade, you might want to consider a wheel with seat option. I've been wheeling for 4 years. Every time it's about after half an hour of wheeling my feet would feel numb and either I have to stop and walk awhile or bear the uncomfortable numbness which I don't think is healthy for my leg/feet circulations. Of course, wheeling seated is another lesson in itself. Only a thought for you.... Enjoy and wheel on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onecho said:

@scubadragosan Curious about the seat thing; do you have to "re-learn" riding seated or does that come easy with experience as a bi-pedal rider?

I'd get a few more miles under your feet before you start thinking seat. To each his own, but it does seem an added layer of skill that also hinges on basic control. I'm a few months in and 300+ miles and have NO intention of sitting yet. I'd think that if you arent conditioned to ride very far, a seat won't help much. 

5 hours ago, onecho said:

I also have a tendency to try to grip the pedals with the toes in my dominant/right foot.

You are wearing shoes? 

Once you're up and riding you should be relaxed. 

Bruce

For onecho: If you already got the basic skills, seating is more of an adaptation. Rather than using both feet to manipulate/balance, now your buttocks is involved in manipulation and balancing.  Please heed ShanesPlanet point of having more experience/stability under your belt for consideration. That's why I said "after you are addicted...and later "upgrade." I really enjoy having that option to be seated when my feet feel numbed. I often can ride non-stop while my partner has to take a break every now and then to shake out her legs. Keep on riding...!

• Like 1

@PennBruce yes, wearing shoes! My feet still have a tendency to « tense up » and try to grip the pedal. 

All: no worries, I have no intention on attempting anything seated before I improve my skills. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Onecho
Do you get cramps in your feet as well?  My feet start to cramp up & I have to stop & walk until I can flex my feet again.  They hurt.

I learnt to ride via these two youtube videos:

&

They both have excellent tips to start.

From them I've learnt to never lock my knees either.  Which brings me to the same issue, my legs start to shake in about two miles because I'm bent at the knee.  Perhaps I am bent too much ... I dunno but I have been hitting the gym a bit more & working on strengthening my legs so I can stand longer on the pedals.  I've also found when your indoors to try the wall seat as often as you can.  Putting your back to the wall, slide down until your thighs are parallel with the floor & hold that stance for as long as you can.  This has really helped in standing a bit longer with knees bent. 

Now I jus have'ta figure out how ta keep my feet from cramp'n up or gett'n stiff.

• Like 2