How many KM/Miles before you arent a rookie?

When experienced...? hmm..

When you can adapt yourself in most situations without jeopardize yourself so much.
For me I couldnt stop properly at 50km of total km's. Not turn properly before 150km. Go gravel roads before 250km.
That went on all the time... progress. A win for each step I got.
I thought every time I am getting better and more experienced. Woohoo!

Now at 1400km on my 16X I still feel 'not so experienced', but I have learned ADAPTATION
towards my environment and situation. Still I can not make a clean and nice proper start. (I used support a lot, and I dont care)

Cant go backwards, cant turn properly on a dime.

I went havoc on a MTB trail and now in woods. Deadly fun! Hurt a me a lot. Still I dont care. I want more. (not hospital stuff tho)

Then it struck me..... experienced? To what? comparing myself to others? Is there a proper line to pass?

F... that. I have my style and I go by that. I will always be rookie in something, and better in something else.

Thats me and I feel proud of that. Experienced in my own comfort.

Handling an EUC properly and 'experienced' comes from adaptation to your surroundings. (Respect other fellow people on road, paths, etc.)

Maybe everything is about attitude? 

I do not think I ever will be as experienced as I want, but also I will never stop working on it. haha! 🐱🚀

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, Justin Boivin said:

Personally, I would say when you have the skills to ride well with whatever the road/situation brings. Can you:
-Do a hard break if you have to?
-Turn sharply?
-Drop off curbs unexpected bumps and keep rolling?
-Quickly react and avoid things in your path?
-Mount/dismount quickly, with ease?
-Adjust to different conditions (rain etc)?
-Ride on different kinds of terrain?
-Stop wobbles?
-Never lose control of the wheel, or if you do, recover quickly?

And if you want to consider yourself "among the best", I think you'd have to learn all the tricks and gimicks (riding backwards, on one leg etc etc).

all of this and i would also add riding walking speed for an indefinite amount of time, being able to comfortably and easily shift your position/adjust your feet on the wheel while moving.. this proves that you are loose and comfortable while riding which is much safer than being stiff, be able to ride in a very straight line over a long period of time (as if riding beside someone on a bicycle on a narrow path), being able to ride at any speed in any position (crouched, sitting, bending down say to turn on lights or just touch your toes to stretch, standing tall), and lastly being able to ride for as long as the euc will stay on without muscle fatigue that leads to dangerous riding (wobbling)... i would say only once you have mastered all of these as well as the quoted could you be considered an advanced rider.... "not a rookie" just means being able to ride in most situations without losing control of the wheel, but thats far from what i would consider even a good rider. i do not feel things like being able to go backwards as contributing to being an advanced rider, as they serve no real practical use and are merely a fun way to screw around while bored, ive learned to do it but it does give me a sort of vertigo and i just get dizzy, not sure why.. its fun, but ultimately pretty useless.. unlike one legged riding which is a very useful skill that you will need to confidently shift your feet while moving. one more thing to add, is if you have fallen from the wheel for any reason within say six months it would revert your status to very good rider and not advanced as unless the wheel truly malfunctioned, its always your fault.. be it a pothole or whatever that merely means you werent paying as much attention as you should have been which is foolish, overconfidence is an enemy no matter your skill level.. having good foresight, spatial awareness and knowing the limits of ones self and by extension the wheel, and proving that are what make a truly advanced rider imo

• Like 1

yes, skillful recklessness.. aka being a jackass, is not a status anyone should try to achieve... wherever you ride, you follow the rules of all other vehicles there.. and if you are riding around people you should not exceed a brisk walking pace.. this falls under the overconfidence category, whether or not YOU have the skill to do so, you clearly lack the foresight that people and cars can behave unpredictably, and putting yourself in danger is bad enough, but putting others in danger is never acceptable

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mookie said:

Just surpassed 200 miles and I still feel like a rookie.  I would say 500 miles perhaps?

500 miles,, thats like a weeks riding :P i still see as people with 5000 as relative beginners

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

When you have not fallen because of something stupid for 30 days in a row...

That's how I'll know when I'm dead :)

• Like 1

An interesting read as someone who is waiting to get back to learning on my brand new first wheel after my heart attack :)

However the talk about over confidence struck a cord, when I used to fly paragliders the accident rate went up among people who had passed their club pilot level and again  among those who passed their pilot level, and the assumption was over confidence among these people leading to poor decision making :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always attempting to learn new skills and honing them once I learn them.  I started feeling a little comfortable at approximately 150 miles.  Very comfortable at 350 miles.

• Like 2

6500+ miles in about a year of EUC riding, I don't think I'll ever be a "pro" as I'm always tinkering to improve every day; I can't go backwards, but I can have some fun at a skate park on my Mten3! :)

• Like 3

Around 1000kms I started to feel comfortable in city riding. Around 3000kms can go backwards a little and slow riding is easier. Also surprise potholes don't end up in faceplant anymore. But still I feel there is so much more to master. More Offroad, pumptracks skateparks, jumping etc..

8 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

I just hit 600 miles after 15 months or so....

you need to pump up those numbers