Got my First Warning Today on the Beaches

MetricUSA

Bummer! Maybe the guy was bored or having a bad day.

The park ranger I encountered last year was just the opposite. Very polite. I had lost my truck ( no comments please) in a huge park so I loaded up my wheel into his truck and we drove around looking for it. My new motto....give your local park ranger a hug. :)

49766917766_dc12ba2b8d_b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

....I will have to download the PA regulations for now on since I am riding there almost every weekend and some weekdays...

When you find the relevant reg, please post it.

Thanks,

Bruce 

On 4/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, RockyTop said:

I keep a screen shot of the codes on my phone ready to show the authorities. I don't argue or give them any trouble.  I just politely show them my understanding of the rules. 

Got any leads for relevant codes for California? :D would be interested in having something to point to or talk about, having been questioned/warned for riding in parks with bike paths. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Got any leads for relevant codes for California? :D would be interested in having something to point to or talk about, having been questioned/warned for riding in parks with bike paths. 

We had a tread that had a link to the codes for each state. I studied it for a few days, looking at each state. That was two years ago. I have tried to find that thread several times and have failed. Lucky I screen shot my states code off the state website. I wish I could be more help. I do remember that California was one of the better states. maybe @Marty Backe could help. 

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

See the 2nd sheet in the doc below:

Thanks, I checked every link in those pages and the pages linked to them and did not see it. The link that Isaw was pre July 2018 and listed each state and a link to the JUSTIA  website reference. Here are the two that I copied. 

Georgia 

40-6-320

Tennessee 

55-53-102,   

55-53-103 

55-53-104 

55-53-105

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Thanks, I checked every link in those pages and the pages linked to them and did not see it. The link that Isaw was pre July 2018 and listed each state and a link to the JUSTIA  website reference. Here are the two that I copied. 

Georgia 

40-6-320

Tennessee 

55-53-102,   

55-53-103 

55-53-104 

55-53-105

Good stuff as Im close to TN. However, is the EUC  an EPAMD? I'm not sure the euc doesnt fall into the same category as scooter or off-road vehicle? Then theres the pesky bonus that the access to areas can be denied if it endangers natural areas or public safety. As usual, multiple codes written in a way that undermines the very codes referenced. I dont know what to make of this stuff, but MAYBE a park ranger wouldnt either. MAYBE by memorizing this stuff and flaunting it, the ranger would look it up and assume you knew something he doesnt, and lets it go. OR, he wont care as its HIS park and he knows EVERYTHING has been written in a way to grant him authority to decide.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Good stuff as Im close to TN. However, is the EUC  an EPAMD? I'm not sure the euc doesnt fall into the same category as scooter or off-road vehicle? Then theres the pesky bonus that the access to areas can be denied if it endangers natural areas or public safety. As usual, multiple codes written in a way that undermines the very codes referenced. I dont know what to make of this stuff, but MAYBE a park ranger wouldnt either. MAYBE by memorizing this stuff and flaunting it, the ranger would look it up and assume you knew something he doesnt, and lets it go. OR, he wont care as its HIS park and he knows EVERYTHING has been written in a way to grant him authority to decide.

The short of it is that the laws were made for the segway self balancing non tandem wheeled creation. I emphasize the self balancing part. While it does say that they can be regulated for safety, It says that it can not be discriminated in a way that does not also include bicycles. So it is a non motorized bicycle and it is illegal to say otherwise. ( as long as you convince them that it is a segway, ) One official said that the code mentions two non tandem wheels. this has one. I explained that it is saying that you can have two wheels as long as they are not tandem like a bicycle. I then showed him a picture of the InMotion V3 , It is an older EUC that had two wheels side by side that almost touched each other. It was kind of a dually  EUC. The Ranger look at the picture and said, oh OK. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming itll go down like one can normally expect. If you act and look like the ranger expects and come off in JUST the right manner, he may just shrug and let it go. If you seem to annoy him in ANY way, by your look, your voice, your attitude or your actions, he may not care what you say. Hopefully the majority of encounters are with rangers that arent having a bad day and dont have any preconceptions. If you go into it with knowledge but a willingness to readily accept them as authority, we may fare okay. Of course, if someone else has already soured them to the euc... youll also pay the wrath.  Still, I imagine when and where we can ride, will be discretionary most times, and one single complaint from foot traffic and we will lose the battle. Im excited to see how it plays out, when its warm and the parks open up. Fwiw, i surely will do my best to not endanger anyone and not be on the headline news. Most of the parks out here are so rough, I'd just rather go offroading or walk it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I was basically the first in my area.  I was very respectful with rangers. Also as I passed the police department one day about 10 police officers were out on the sidewalk as I passed by on the road. They yelled what is that thing or something like that. I stopped and showed it to them. They thought it was pretty cool. They asked their chief when they would get one. No problems at all. I was pulled over for going 30 mph in a bike lane. He just said, I don't know what that thing is but the speed limit is 25 on the road and 20 in the bike lane not 30.  He was just frustrated with me because I passing cars in the bike lane. He let me go without even a real warning. 

The only problems that I have had is with the rent a cops and they have no idea what the law is. I just ignore them and keep going. I know that one of them got in trouble for harassing me.  

• Like 2

Referring to PA state parks.... No mention of 'motorized' vehicles on trail but did say no drones 👎 only at 6 PA state parks, sadly Presque Isle is not one of them!!! 👎👎

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/RulesAndRegulations/Pages/default.aspx

Biking at presque Isle... The Multi-Purpose Trail and extension makes a 13.5-mile circuit in the park. This paved trail is designated as a National Recreation Trail.

The Seaway Trail, which follows the Lake Erie Shoreline through Erie County from New York to Ohio and includes the Karl Boyes Multi-purpose Trail, is designated as a Pennsylvania Scenic Byway.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/PresqueIsleStatePark/Pages/Biking.aspx

National Trail System... mentions No Motorized Vehicles

https//www.nps.gov/ncrc/programs/nts/info.html 

Edited by MetricUSA

As acting as an ass... I'm the only electric unicyclist in the area (do onewheel count???🤣), if I acted like an ass they would have made it illegal long time ago....😙. I just act like a normal recreational bike rider, just to put the record straight...🌝 But kind of hard to just blend in the crowd...😎

Edited by MetricUSA

On 4/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, RockyTop said:

I was basically the first in my area.  I was very respectful with rangers. Also as I passed the police department one day about 10 police officers were out on the sidewalk as I passed by on the road. They yelled what is that thing or something like that. I stopped and showed it to them. They thought it was pretty cool. They asked their chief when they would get one. No problems at all. I was pulled over for going 30 mph in a bike lane. He just said, I don't know what that thing is but the speed limit is 25 on the road and 20 in the bike lane not 30.  He was just frustrated with me because I passing cars in the bike lane. He let me go without even a real warning. 

The only problems that I have had is with the rent a cops and they have no idea what the law is. I just ignore them and keep going. I know that one of them got in trouble for harassing me.  

You MUST be in my area. This sounds EXACTLY like what I would expect, so long as I'm not appearing to be a hoodlum. This got me laughing so damn hard, I can almost visualize the actual rednecks that poked fun at the chief. I'd imagine that once they saw your werent a kid and pay taxes, they just got curious. I get the same basic reaction IF the authorities even bother to stop. Usually they look really hard and then decide Im not like the skate punks and move along. I'd imagine the amazement at how damn fast you were going on one wheel, while the cop not even sure wtf to cite it as or make of it, saved your butt on the speeding. I mean shit, how often is it that a guy goes flying by on a futuristic one wheeled device, speeding? Of course, now he knows and his astonishment may not save you next time. Rent a cops can be the worst. Typically they can only enforce private property, so that's nice. Same old story, the head chief has all the authority, but has better things to do than waste his time on BS. The rental cop(ive been one ) has little authority and LOVES to waste his time on BS :). My wheel has a 30-31mph stated speed limit that is inflated. I still wouldnt say a word tho, if a cop claimed i was speeding at 30mph. Hell, what is a 5mph over the limit gna cost anyhow? Imagine the old judge and his reaction if you brought a picture to court. "what the hell is THAT? You were riding that thing how fast?" lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2