mten3 arrived now i want to master backwards

Wonderwebb

Hi eveyone my mten3  arrived a couple of days ago  

I bought it to learn to ride backwards as my msx is just too big and slow to respond and the pedal height makes it to easy to drop when i need to step off.

So far i am managing to pendulum and ride backwards about 10 feet before i need to transition to forwards .  Im gradually getting more distance each day and hope to have it mastered by the time lockdown is over . Whats the best stance for backwards upright or knees bent ? Any good tips or video guides im getting to the point where i can   pendulum non stop so dont think im too far off getting this nailed. 

Best youtube video ?

Best backwards guide?

• Like 2

I would try to mimic whatever you are most comfortable with going forwards. I just got an mten as well. I suck at backwards, but when i do manage it, it seems that i am pretty much focusing on doing the EXACT opposite (no more no less), only on my heels. I have to resist the temptation to over correct, but it seems to me... approach it the same, dont look down, and use your heels as if they were the balls of the feet. Scariest part is knowing that you can't 'run it out' if you overlean in reverse.  I would suggest maybe error on the side of MORE bent if anything, as I'd much rather NOT do a dead mans fall from overlean backwards. THIS had me wondering if i should invest in an asspad as I learn :) Enjoy the new wheel, it is so much fun in ways a bigger wheel can't be. Sounds to me like you are already to the point that practice how you have been, and your goal will be met.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Inspiring Buell, thank you for that! I was beginning to think that it was a waste of my time to try to ride the 18L backwards, as its so sluggish in compare to the mten. Its always good to hear from people who can prove me mistaken about possible abilities. I really enjoy reading about everyone's trials and successes! I really enjoy WATCHING everyone's failures.:clap3: Apologies for the hijack Wonderwebb.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

It sounds like your making great strides. :thumbup:. When riding backwards are you able to turn your head over your shoulder to navigate where your going? This takes some practice but it’s an important step to travel further and build confidence. . 

This video featuring Ian is 4 years old but the basics remain strong. Good luck! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

When riding backwards are you able to turn your head over your shoulder to navigate where your going? This takes some practice but it’s an important step to travel further and build confidence. . 

Yes, I can also look over my shoulder when riding backwards. But as limited as when riding forward, because I also have a slipped disc in my cervical spine and I am limited when turning.

As a wearer of glasses, it is also a problem that I do not look through the glasses anymore, but past them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Yes, I can also look over my shoulder when riding backwards. But as limited as when riding forward, because I also have a slipped disc in my cervical spine and I am limited when turning.

A slipped cervical disc will definitely limit your range of motion. Have you ever tried a helmet mirror while going backwards? I’ve never attempted that but I suppose it would work. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

It sounds like your making great strides. :thumbup:. When riding backwards are you able to turn your head over your shoulder to navigate where your going? This takes some practice but it’s an important step to travel further and build confidence. . 

This video featuring Ian is 4 years old but the basics remain strong. Good luck! 

Good Guide . What i seem to find is that once im backing up my body naturally wants to naturally pendulum to the forward position  which cuts down the length of my backward run.

Once in reverse trying to find a speed which is fast enough not to be to unstable and also not so nerve racking is tricky .

• Like 1

I also bought mten for learning stuff. It took 3 hours of practise and now I can ride backwards straight and maybe turn a little.

Also mcm3 14" was easy to ride backwards after mten, but not that good on v10, that needs more practise.

Mten is perfect with kids, I have 4 and 5 year old boys, and while they are playing outdoors daddy carves the mten. Neighbors probably think i'm crazy :D 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wonderwebb said:Good Guide . What i seem to find is that once im backing up my body naturally wants to naturally pendulum to the forward position  which cuts down the length of my backward run.

Practice.....practice.....practice. Your brain will eventually click.:)

Many riders that practice reverse on brand new wheels sometimes have a fear factor of dropping their shiny, unblemished investment. That fear may divert your concentration away from learning this new skill.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with utilizing a tether loosely slipped into your pant’s pocket allowing you to grab the wheel quickly if necessary. This helps to redirect your full attention back to the skill at hand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Okay....sorry, but I have no video editing skills.  :facepalm: Here the summary from my first real 5 hours intensive backwards riding. 

You got it!! :cheers: Night time dedication learning new skills is a plus.  

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

I just LOVE to see the smaller wheels put to good use rather than on Ebay. Congrats guys!

I guess the Mten3 craze has something to do with it...

If only Inmotion would design and sell an Mtwelve3 !!!! :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pico said:

I just LOVE to see the smaller wheels put to good use rather than on Ebay. Congrats guys!

I really enjoy riding the Mten3! I got it after @Marty Backe posted a video on the 67v. I'm still pretty new to the EUC's (2 months) and the Mten3 has improved my riding so much. Its made me better on  the 18XL as well!

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Wonderwebb said:

Hi eveyone my mten3  arrived a couple of days ago  

I bought it to learn to ride backwards as my msx is just too big and slow to respond and the pedal height makes it to easy to drop when i need to step off.

So far i am managing to pendulum and ride backwards about 10 feet before i need to transition to forwards .  Im gradually getting more distance each day and hope to have it mastered by the time lockdown is over . Whats the best stance for backwards upright or knees bent ? Any good tips or video guides im getting to the point where i can   pendulum non stop so dont think im too far off getting this nailed. 

Best youtube video ?

Best backwards guide?

Ultimately, it's about developing your muscle memory. You just have to put in the time. I did a video series documenting my learning process. I spent 15 to 30 minutes every day practicing. After 10-days I had it nailed. Here's the playlist:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pico said:

If only Inmotion would design and sell an Mtwelve3 !!!! :laughbounce2:

We need to start another contest. :thumbup:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bigwave said:

I really enjoy riding the Mten3! I got it after @Marty Backe posted a video on the 67v. I'm still pretty new to the EUC's (2 months) and the Mten3 has improved my riding so much. Its made me better on  the 18XL as well!

Great to hear :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigwave said:

Below is a very short clip of me riding the Mten3 backwards. Nothing fancy, just some basics ! I've had the Mten3 for a month now and its been super fun to ride! 

Perfecto :cheers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

A slipped cervical disc will definitely limit your range of motion. Have you ever tried a helmet mirror while going backwards? I’ve never attempted that but I suppose it would work. 

Absolutely, not only limited in movement, but also repeatedly headaches and dizziness and the sense of balance does not like that either.

I had also thought about a mirror yesterday, but the position and distance of the mirror with my varifocals is unfortunately only a blurred something. :efef50e3ba:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buell47 said:

Absolutely, not only limited in movement, but also repeatedly headaches and dizziness and the sense of balance does not like that either.

That sucks! So sorry to hear that!  

5 hours ago, buell47 said:

I had also thought about a mirror yesterday, but the position and distance of the mirror with my varifocals is unfortunately only a blurred something. :efef50e3ba:

This is a situation where a rear facing proximity sensor or camera would be useful. Stay safe!

6 hours ago, buell47 said:

When I'm riding backwards (for anything more than a handful of seconds) I absolutely depend on my helmet mirror. I don't really have to be able to see much, but it relaxes the mind knowing that you're not about to ride into a wall or anything else. Zero details. Just broad strokes of what's behind you. Lets you relax while doing the backward thing. I'd suggest giving it a try.

• Like 2