Wobbles under hard braking?

That sounds just like the standard speed wobbles. Your legs tense up when braking, which diminishes your ability to automatically balance out all the rapid movements of the wheel at speed. As all other speed wobbles, it should go away with experience.

You can always increase your PSI to see if anything changes. Maybe low PSI aggravates wobbles?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That sounds just like the standard speed wobbles. Your legs tense up when braking, which diminishes your ability to automatically balance out all the rapid movements of the wheel at speed. As all other speed wobbles, it should go away with experience.

You can always increase your PSI to see if anything changes. Maybe low PSI aggravates wobbles?

I've actually found the opposite personally. Higher PSI makes it worse for me and I suspect it's because there's less surface area on the road to resist the twisting motion of the wobbles. For the same reason, I get better speed and acceleration at higher PSI's.

• 3 weeks later...

When switching back to the summer tire (ChaoYang H-666) on my MSX a week ago, I was not able to align it as well as I had last year. This didn't bother me much at first, but two days ago while slowly braking in a shallow downhill, I got the worst wobble I've experienced so far. It was really starting to get out of hand. Luckily I was able to slow down fast enough to kill it, but I definitely needed to address the dangerous issue.

I deflated the tire, and pushed, pulled, bent, squeezed and massaged the tire to get it running as straight as possible. Inflated, saw that the issue remains, and repeated the process several times. Finally I got rid of the sideways movement, and took it for a test ride: Zero wobbles!

While wobbles are usually caused by just beginner legs getting tired, there are situations when it is not.

• Like 2