Alerting pedestrians- what do you do

Paulandjacquelyn

1 minute ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

I was just looking on Amazon.  I think bell good...maybe on wrist guard.  Some people would not hear a truck coming. Lol 

Or better yet, you can carry a can of air horn. That will surely get their attention. :D

Like it Paddy, might see if I can get that attachment from Ebay....lol

I havent come close to riding with other people close by, but I think its a common sense approach, obviously in very crowded areas one may have to just hop off and walk it out of there, but other times I guess it'd be a matter of being aware of who is ahead of you, and riding "defensively" until its safe to move along at a quicker pace.

those walking toward us would tend to "get out of the way" , but for those walking in the same direction we are riding, prob best to slow up, give them space and work around them

just my approach anyway

1 minute ago, Phil Wright said:

Like it Paddy, might see if I can get that attachment from Ebay....lol

I havent come close to riding with other people close by, but I think its a common sense approach, obviously in very crowded areas one may have to just hop off and walk it out of there, but other times I guess it'd be a matter of being aware of who is ahead of you, and riding "defensively" until its safe to move along at a quicker pace.

those walking toward us would tend to "get out of the way" , but for those walking in the same direction we are riding, prob best to slow up, give them space and work around them

just my approach anyway

Don't forget, an euc is one of the few vehicles where control at slow speeds is infinitely harder than at high speeds. 

It will come. 

Totally.

it's weird how we don't make the immediate parallel, but if you think about bicycles. It's exactly the same. 

You just don't actively notice it because our bicycle skills are usually honed at young ages so the learning is forgotten and thus consciously, it's like walking to us.

I'm able to basically stop for a second or two and crawl around them if needed but my concern is they step in front...even slow could hurt their ankle with pedal.   I just added bike lights to front n back of my helmet for street and sidewalk increased visibility.      I tell you one thing...I've got alot of people wanting one in my town in just a few days lol

Bearing in mind the quasi legal status of wheels in many countries I think it best to show the greatest deference to our pedestrian colleagues even to the point of getting off and carrying if an excuse me doesn't do the trick.

For me normally that is all it takes and with a good attitude the responses of everyone I've met so far have been great, all smiles and questions. :)

Let us all be ambassadors for our pass time and help ensure any forthcoming legislation is well thought out and in our favour.

It depends of the legislation for the bike lanes. Here in Montreal, I think, the EUC can't use the road and the bike lanes. I use it principally on the side walk. I try to go on the largest and when there are some pedestrians who block me, I wait for double them when I can or sometimes I say "excuse me" if there is no possibility.

Pedestrians have priority on the side walk. Remember that. Just good sens and respect.

11 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Bearing in mind the quasi legal status of wheels in many countries I think it best to show the greatest deference to our pedestrian colleagues even to the point of getting off and carrying if an excuse me doesn't do the trick.

For me normally that is all it takes and with a good attitude the responses of everyone I've met so far have been great, all smiles and questions. :)

Let us all be ambassadors for our pass time and help ensure any forthcoming legislation is well thought out and in our favour.

I to do this, but even when you are miles from someone and say excuse me loud enough for them to hear thay dont as thay have headphones in, i am going to buy an old fashioned rubber end honking horn for when an excuse me does not suffice. The biggest issue is people nowadays do not watch where they are walking and are oblivious to other pedestrians and everything around them.

I just feel that a bell or a horn is a little impersonal and agressive, almost like saying "get out of my way I'm coming through".

This may be fine if you are on the road in a car or on a bike and a pedestrian gets in your way as they are not supposed to be there. However on the pavement they are in the right place and have a lot more rights to be there than we do presently.

So basically I will continue to stop and wait or carry my wheel past pedestrians if a simple friendly "excuse me" doesn't have the required effect.

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I just feel that a bell or a horn is a little impersonal and agressive, almost like saying "get out of my way I'm coming through".

This may be fine if you are on the road in a car or on a bike and a pedestrian gets in your way as they are not supposed to be there. However on the pavement they are in the right place and have a lot more rights to be there than we do presently.

So basically I will continue to stop and wait or carry my wheel past pedestrians if a simple friendly "excuse me" doesn't have the required effect.

This changed my opinion on having some kind of bell, because it's true. I always say riding an EUC is more in the category of "pedestrian" than cycling or skateboarding, so it would seem rude to sprint up behind someone on a pavement and beep a horn at them instead of just slowing down and waiting until you can pass them.

Agree with Tom & Gimlet - practice your SLOW riding, creep up behind them and just 'stalk' silently until they realise you're there and if they want to allow you past then they'll get out the way, if not then wait till overtaking will be an option or find a tree / gate post etc. to lean on until there is room ;)

It really bugs me when cars park all over the pavements and pushchairs can't use them so I'm not going to expect any pedestrian to make allowances for my activities while riding.  If I'm not on the road then I'm in their house, playing by their rules :D

I agree with all of the above posts. Pedestrians own the sidewalks and we are but guests there.

However, I take the bike lanes on my commute and its incredible how many people who shouldn't be walking there are strolling along. I would hope at the very least they would be cautious as they are then "guests" in the bike lanes but many have headphones on and are glued to their phones. These instances have made me consider getting a bell but haven't pushed me over the fence yet.

Finally my last rant about the bike lanes in NYC - the damn horse carriages! It's nasty to see their feces lying in the bike lane where I have to avoid (or sometimes am unable to avoid and ride over it - but by that time, its already been flattened by other bicycle tires). Who ever thought it was a good idea to have horses in the already smelly city!? uy

guys, almost doesnt matter who owns the sidewalk in relation to the question asked. If you dont ride the sidewalk there is no issue. If you do you need to alert them.

Get the bicycle bell on your finger - even if someone perceives this as rude, its better to be a bit rude and intrusive than to run them over. Even in the noise area - they will hear the bell - human brain is trained to make out that sound as this is a sound of danger - bicycle approaching about to crash into you. Start ringing in advance, dont wait until you are too close

simple excuse me wont work in my opinion, first of all you will get tired of saying that, you also need to be very close for them to hear, which will hard to maintain balance behind them moving slow, also they will assume you are a pedestian and will move away just enough for a pedstrian to squeeze in, not a unicycle rider. I usually say thank you after they step aside, as i am passing them,  especially if i am going slow enough for them to hear my thank you.

another way is to play music thru the wheel - alerts them from a distance - very affective. 

most importantly - dont fully rely on them moving away - have a back up plan(route)  allow sufficient space to avoid them if they cannot hear you. Anticipate where they may go/ turn. Be careful of storefront doors - people tend to suddently come out of them. Be careful approaching the corners, slow down- they will come out of the corner towards you. Just plactice it, it will become second nature soon. Good luck

Good advise Cloud.  Just back from a sidewalk ride and found "coming to your left" or right very effective I would first slow to crawl then speak this and every person moved and looked .  I was speaking from that side of them and they moved quickly and i thanked as i passed. 

40 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Good advise Cloud.  Just back from a sidewalk ride and found "coming to your left" or right very effective I would first slow to crawl then speak this and every person moved and looked .  I was speaking from that side of them and they moved quickly and i thanked as i passed. 

Yes this is a good way too. I usually have music coming out of the wheel so they know i am coming and if i am on one side of them they know which side the music is on and usually decide ti step aside to avoid whoever this might be coming in with the music on. 

I usually thank them for doing so, but on many ocasions they thanked me for ringing my bike bell in advance or apologized to me for not moving aside fast enough) go figure...

Archived