Interesting new tech - could it be useful for EUC's?

KiwiRoller

18 minutes ago, KiwiRoller said:

The thing I most fear on my EUC is unexpected bumps. Moving at 40+kph hitting a bump that causes the wheel to get air, and causes me to get air - it's entirely possible I land back on the pedals in a different spot to where I was. And that in the wrong circumstances could lead to a big bail.

To fix it, I either need to strap the EUC to my feet. Or find an option that absorbs bumps without getting air the bulk of the time.

This link below has some tech that I thought was cool. Not sure if it would / could work for EUC's but I thought it looked interesting - building the suspension into the wheel.

/discuss

https://i.imgur.com/744mJVW.gifv

There is no room on a EUC rim to have suspension like that. The motor hub takes up almost the entire space (which is why most valves are so hard to reach on EUC's). Also I don't think changing the center of the wheel while riding at any sort of speed would be a good idea :blink1:. I think the main reason no sort of suspension has been introduced on an EUC is the added bulk and weight that would come with it (for only a small increase in comfort). Also it would make the ride more unstable/unpredictable.

To combat your "air" you can try lowering the tire-pressure ;).

Edited by Skecys
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skecys said:

Yeah... But that will result in damaged rims.
Maybe give your EUC more padding and learn to hug your wheel? That way if you're airborne you're still hugging it...

IDK, I'm not a high speed expert, 25km/h is usually my max.

12 minutes ago, Skecys said:

There is no room on a EUC rim to have suspension like that. The motor hub takes up almost the entire space (which is why most valves are so hard to reach on EUC's). Also I don't think changing the center of the wheel while riding at any sort of speed would be a good idea :blink1:. I think the main reason no sort of suspension has been introduced on an EUC is the added bulk and weight that would come with it (for only a small increase in comfort). Also it would make the ride more unstable/unpredictable.

I don't think changing the center of the wheel is bad, they only thing it "sees" is whether there is resistance and how much power to stay straight. It will make some power curves as it bumps but just evening out when would have been for a sharp bump. The electronics also benefits (less shocks) compared to a suspension on the pedal. It won't eat more battery like low pressure tyres (more grip) do.

The 18+" wheels should have space for some miniaturised version of this, I'd be interested.

11 hours ago, null said:

I don't think changing the center of the wheel is bad, they only thing it "sees" is whether there is resistance and how much power to stay straight. It will make some power curves as it bumps but just evening out when would have been for a sharp bump. The electronics also benefits (less shocks) compared to a suspension on the pedal. It won't eat more battery like low pressure tyres (more grip) do.

The 18+" wheels should have space for some miniaturised version of this, I'd be interested.

Those shocks are inside the rim, meaning they are exposed to the centrifugal force the wheel generates. The amount of force the shocks should put out at 5km/h is vastly lower then at 40km/h. They would not return to their starting position fast enough after hitting a bump or pothole, resulting in an off-center wheel (and possible crash). You would also need to account for rider weight.

This is a far more likely replacement for EUC tires and it's tech that is old and proven now. I'm not sure why it's not more prevalent, maybe cost or maintenance? Maybe "Big Tire" doesn't want people to have a tire that lasts 10x as long and doesn't puncture.....$u$

Image result for airless tire design

tweel-airless-tire-2.jpg

46 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Maybe "Big Tire" doesn't want people to have a tire that lasts 10x as long and doesn't puncture...

With sealants we're already pretty close to perfection when it comes to punctures. :)
And I don't think that this kind of tire would last any longer - the first thing that usually wears off on a tire is the tread, and it has to be made with very similar materials for a wheel to have a good traction.

But it definitely has an advantage of not having rims. B) Thus it can be a softer ride with the same diameter.

Edited by atdlzpae

The EUC trend seems to be going towards fat tire territory, but the main problems with pneumatic tires as shock absorbers is bumps are limited to about half the tube height and there's no rebound control. 

Eventually EUCs need some oil-filled suspension, because hitting a bump at speed turns the wheel into a super all, and depending on your legs to absorb that rebound requires more skill than what most EUC riders have.

• Like 1