Dash cams

Am considering getting a dash cam and didn't find any threads on the subject, so figured I'd create one and kick off with this excellent review by @Hansolo 

Any other models worth considering (preferably with OIS)?

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

Actually, I have a cheap little off-brand dashcam built into the front of each of my wheels. They run off the wheels' USB ports, so they turn on and off automatically and I never need to worry about charging them!

• Like 2

Why not mount a 360 camera to the top of the helmet? I turn mine on before my commute to work. I find the camera being visible is a great deterrent when riding near militant drivers and bicyclists. The perspective makes the camera bigger than it really is. It's quite reasonable. I have the remote attached to my left glove so I can operate the camera without taking off my helmet. 

tsg_pass3.thumb.jpg.52d59bbc57c8edc249cf906a24c36a8f.jpg

tsg_pass2.thumb.jpg.6b8d847092212c358ef1ca8b31b97b07.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, greentung said:

Why not mount a 360 camera to the top of the helmet? I turn mine on before my commute to work. I find the camera being visible is a great deterrent when riding near militant drivers and bicyclists. The perspective makes the camera bigger than it really is. It's quite reasonable.

I'd love to do that but for now battery life is too short for full day trips, and they are a bit expensive.

In the future surely, maybe If they could get more compact by relying on external power.

The battery life of the 360 is a valid concern. My commute is short. I can go three days between battery recharge. 

I just plugged in the usb charge cable to the 360 and it will record with external USB power. I have a 128GB memory card which the camera says will record 316 minutes of 360 footage. I could run a USB cable from the helmet down to the wheel's USB plug or a backpack mounted battery pack to solve the power issue. Doing that I would use one of these magnetic break-away quick connect for the USB connection to the camera.  

image.thumb.png.9e4cb31c36a7f835f55fbc13c3508cdb.png

Edited by greentung
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2020 at 4:28 AM, Arbolest said:

Actually, I have a cheap little off-brand dashcam built into the front of each of my wheels. They run off the wheels' USB ports, so they turn on and off automatically and I never need to worry about charging them!

@Arbolest would you mind posting a picture and details of your setup 

I'm looking for a EUC Dashcam as well. Something that last at least 2h battery. An "instant record last X minutes feature" would be nice so I don't have to fill up SD card with boring footage.

I've had a Insta360 One R, but it's kinda overkill. Was interested in the Insta Go 2 but only has 30 minutes battery.

I've got an Akaso v50x  which was pretty nice for the price, but OIS is glitchy and my cam was buggy and stopped recording after 30 minutes, no matter what.

I just want something on my head to record the weird 5 seconds shit I seem to always encounter.