Battery capacity to value ratio on EUCs (Wh/$)

tenofnine

Nice idea! I got curious about the Nikola:

2100Wh 84V $2450 0.86

1800Wh 100V $2300 0.78

1845Wh 100V $2450 0.75

2664Wh 100V (1rad mod, not official, but I love this thing) 2749€ = $3050 0.87

(Prices from ewheels, and using advertised battery capacity instead of real capacity)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
number fixed
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice idea! I got curious about the Nikola:

2100Wh 84V $2450 0.86

1800Wh 100V $2300 0.78

1845Wh 100V $2450 0.75

2664Wh 100V (1rad mod, not official, but I love this thing) 2749€ = $3050 0.87

(Prices from ewheels, and using advertised battery capacity instead of real capacity)

Nice!

After noodling around with these figures I started to regret not buying the MSuperX it's so worth every cent. But I'm happy that my Tesla is actually a pretty great deal as well, plus it's lighter and has a better trolley handle for me.

I was thinking of getting a Kingsong 16s next just to experience a Kingsong wheel. But I feel like it's smarter to do something like get an 18" wheel or the Mten3 to experience something actually different than the 14" and 2 16" wheels I already have.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

@nullI added an "EUC ratios" report to my web database site that shows the info you're after.

Some of these numbers are a bit contradictory....are these wrongly reported manufacture specs or something?

The Tesla v2 you have listed has 1080 Wh (couldn't find any but 1020Wh which is what I have) and the range you have listed is 70km

While the Inmotion v10F you have 960Wh which is correct but the range you have says 90km. Huh?

So your range weight ratio has the v10F a lot higher than the Tesla which I know for a fact is really backwards. The v10F for sure has a much heavier chassis and wheel than the Tesla,  while the battery packs are of linear weight difference. Actual weight puts the v10F over 3 lbs heavier with less range.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vasuvius said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would look at dividing the $ cost by capacity. 
That tells you the cost per unit capacity. The lower that number the better that cost ratio.

Name $ Cost Capacity (Wh) $ / Wh
GW MSX $1,797 1600 $1.12
GW Nikola $1,897 1600 $1.19
kingsong 16x $1,990 1554 $1.28
GW Tesla $1,450 1020 $1.42
GW mten3 $599 420 $1.43
kingsong 16s $1,199 840 $1.43
inmotion v10F $1,599 960 $1.67
inmotion v10 $1,099 650 $1.69
inmotion v8F $899 480 $1.87
kingsong 14D $850 450 $1.89
GW mten3 $999 512 $1.95
GW mten3 $650 325 $2.00
inmotion v8F $1,089 518 $2.10
Onewheel+ XR $1,799 324 $5.55

If the table embedding comes through cleanly, anyone can copy and paste into a spreadsheet to add more data

I initially started like this but I like higher numbers meaning positive results, plus it would make it special if a wheel could be such a value that it breaks 1.0 ratio (which I don't think can be profitable since the batteries cost is such a huge chunk of making these wheels). I also like ratios where everything can be put in terms of < 1 where 1 is 1:1 or 100% like with batting averages even though you usually see ratios in a X:Y format.

1 minute ago, tenofnine said:

I initially started like this but I like higher numbers meaning positive results, plus it would make it special if a wheel could be such a value that it breaks 1.0 ratio (which I don't think can be profitable since the batteries cost is such a huge chunk of making these wheels). I also like ratios where everything can be put in terms of < 1 where 1 is 1:1 or 100% like with batting averages even though you usually see ratios in a X:Y format.

A ratio with values in the 0 - 1 range normalizes the curve and is a better statistical way of looking at it. $ per unit is more consumer/economics friendly as it tells you impact on the pocket book. Depends on the goal of the analysis. If one were to add other factors like max weight, max range, etc, then a weighted avg ratio of cost to Wh, weight, range etc could be derived. Everyone could assign different weights to the factors based on what is important to them.

I'll add more data and post a link to my google sheets 

I think this is like the "miles per gallon" vs. "liter per 100km/gallons per 100 miles" discussion. Depending on what you are looking at, the one or the other makes more sense comparing different wheels. https://www.google.com/search?q=miles+per+gallon+vs+gallons+per+mile

You cannot expect to "normalize" the values though where something never crosses 1.0. That would mean some nonlinear measurement, which is not a good idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tenofnine said:

Some of these numbers are a bit contradictory....are these wrongly reported manufacture specs or something?

The Tesla v2 you have listed has 1080 Wh (couldn't find any but 1020Wh which is what I have) and the range you have listed is 70km

While the Inmotion v10F you have 960Wh which is correct but the range you have says 90km. Huh?

So your range weight ratio has the v10F a lot higher than the Tesla which I know for a fact is really backwards. The v10F for sure has a much heavier chassis and wheel than the Tesla,  while the battery packs are of linear weight difference. Actual weight puts the v10F over 3 lbs heavier with less range.

The 1080Wh for the Tesla was an imput error by me and I've fixed this. Most of the range numbers have been taken from manufactures sites and their figures seem to be based on a small child riding on a glass surface in a vacuum. Some wheels aren't showing in the report because I just couldn't find a price or a range figure. Feel free to update any of the numbers by clicking update, make your changes and then click confirm update. You can also add new wheels by clicking insert - if you click insert on a similar wheel then it will keep the current data on screen so you can just alter the data that needs to change.