Deleted

PLEASE_DELETE

No problem then. In short, a very cold battery might make the wheel give up when you start riding and accelerate, or accelerate strongly on the way. That's all. As long as the battery isn't cold...

Someone once posted about storing a wheel outside for hours on a winter evening and then overleaning it on the way home when it could not do the usual acceleration. Quite an extrreme situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, /Dev/Null said:

Have you look into battery/heated socks/boots/shoes?

For me I have this 1km to go either walking or riding, and I figure riding is more fun & puts me in the cold less.

If my commute was any longer I would; as it is I'm super comfortable down to about -25 while on colder days my trip is over before it gets to be a problem.

• Like 1

It takes at least nine hours to thaw out a wheel at room temperature that's been stored overnight outside (in a car) in below freezing weather, and that's with the best estimate.

Some wheels such as the Segway will warn you that they are too cold, and then refuse to balance, while others such as the Gotways give no such warning but then act dangerously drunk while riding them. In my opinion if you accidentally left a wheel outside then bring it inside and don't even try to ride it for a day.

I've often plugged in my wheel right after I coming inside from a cold weather ride, the batteries aren't cold because they've been working so hard to carry 250lbs of person and snow gear through the snow. I've had no noticeable issues with that as far as I can tell.  The ACM2 is into its second winter doing this (closing in on 5000kms of mostly winter riding for that wheel) and is holding up like a champ. 

The main problem to avoid is getting water on the charger / charge port since snow gets all over everything and starts melting the instant you bring the wheel inside.

If I ever leave it outside and turned off in subzero temperatures for any length of time (I would never do this, but you never know) I would let the wheel warm up before trying to charge it.

Edited by winterwheel

On 12/18/2019 at 4:36 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Someone once posted about storing a wheel outside for hours on a winter evening and then overleaning it on the way home when it could not do the usual acceleration.

I actually put myself in the same situation yesterday without realizing. After a 20 minute ride I stored the wheel in a car that had already cooled down a good bit. After two hours I rode the wheel back home for another 20mins, but I was tired enough not to ride aggressively. The battery was at 80%, and it was perhaps -3•C outside when I came home. Not an extreme case by any means, and the MSX felt like it always does. But a good reminder that these things can happen without realizing.

• Like 2