electric unicycle suitable to take on a plane

AtlasP

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

Take it anyway you like....you are not getting the point here. 

I'll research it more, since I'm very interested in flying with a wheel. So far, I have only two examples of products, specifically designed for air travel (Grin LiGo and Speedboard), and it doesn't make sense to me that two very bright people (Justin Lemire-Elmore and David Jackson) went into great investment of effort and money to develop 100Wh modularity without researching and testing it. And of course, it's better to contact the airline even before purchasing tickets and find out their specific policies on batteries, not just appear at the airport just before flight with a bunch of battery packs. I'll share what I find.

11 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I'll research it more, since I'm very interested in flying with a wheel. So far, I have only two examples of products, specifically designed for air travel (Grin LiGo and Speedboard), and it doesn't make sense to me that two very bright people (Justin Lemire-Elmore and David Jackson) went into great investment of effort and money to develop 100Wh modularity without researching and testing it. And of course, it's better to contact the airline even before purchasing tickets and find out their specific policies on batteries, not just appear at the airport just before flight with a bunch of battery packs. I'll share what I find.

One thing is what you get checked in or try to carry on board. But it matters less until you can collect all items at the destination. Keep in mind security checks and scans of your item could land you a hefty fine to "smuggle" a security risk item on a plane. 

Not only do you need to check with airline but also might need to check with air safely authorities in the countries you travel, as they have the last say anyway. 

I can only agree with @Marty Backe. It matters not what you say. If you are turned down you have little appeal at that time with staff. 

In a way it is a good thing to have safety. But would be better to have safety box to rent so none take a hazard risk item even if it is small thing can get out of hand fast once in the air. You don't want any kind of fire on the plane you are on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

subject is already discussed in this topic

In 2014 somebody from Amsterdam told me that his EUC had been accepted in the plane and that the stewardesses were even excited to see such a - at that time - futuristic machine.

If there are battery exchange stations in many cities, like Gogoro in Taiwan, this is the future. Problem is: people use their own plug at home to charge, you would need such stations a few times a year when you are on holiday. How can the owner of the station make money with such a low demand?

Edited by marc

On 12/31/2019 at 8:22 AM, marc said:

If there are battery exchange stations in many cities, like Gogoro in Taiwan, this is the future. Problem is: people use their own plug at home to charge, you would need such stations a few times a year when you are on holiday. How can the owner of the station make money with such a low demand?

Ignorant premise. Imagine your comment instead applied to the hotel industry: “the problem is people use their own bed at home and only use a hotel a few times a year on holiday. How would a hotel make money with such low demand?” Lots of people travel for work 10/20/30+ times a year, and lots of people have hobbies that they travel for or just enjoy traveling and do so much more than just once or twice a year. (Also there are people that live outside the US and have 4-6 weeks of vacation each year which enables way more travel.)

While EUCs are too small/niche, a standardized battery size that supported a wider range of PEVs (escooters, ebikes, esk8, OW, EUC, etc) should have enough of a market in the near-ish future.

Edited by AtlasP

In this video about a true electric unicycle (what we don't have and use a wrong name, we have hoverwheels), Justin of Grin Tech briefly demonstrates modular battery packs each having capacity 99Wh, suitable for taking aboard a plane in any quantity (@3:52):

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aneta said:

In this video about a true electric unicycle (what we don't have and use a wrong name, we have hoverwheels), Justin of Grin Tech briefly demonstrates modular battery packs each having capacity 99Wh, suitable for taking aboard a plane in any quantity (@3:52):

Wait, so it's a powered but non-self-balancing electric unicycle? LOL.

Anyway, interesting--I wonder the specs (voltage/cell count, etc). I'm guessing it's probably much lower voltage than EUCs and closer to many low-voltage ebikes in the 30s v (since the guy referenced ebikes).

Edited by AtlasP

No, it's not self-balancing, that's why it's electric unicycle - he does the balancing, but the motor helps him by figuratively speaking making his legs stronger. The motor just mimics his movements and adds power. It's motor-assisted unicycle. "Pedelec" is another term for such assistance.

Packs are 36V, 10s1p - just 10 cells with about 2650mAh capacity. These packs are designed to be connected in parallel and in series as needed. So, 84V 20s4p, for example, will require 8 such packs (4 parallel, 2 series). Note that for some reason, for bikes and scooters batteries are rated by their mid-point voltage, so 10s is called "36V battery", while in hoverwheels we use the max voltage, so 20s is 84V, not 72V.

• Like 1