KS16X water resistance

Ashrel

Hello, i think i saw a post saying KS was working on the issues with water / dust. Do we have any information or progress on that matter?
There was many posts some months ago about that but not many now... Because there was improvement and no new crashes or because everybody know about it and so don't use it under rain?
I live in britanny(?) in france, and it rains quite a lot so... :D

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't know are to come but...

My 1st batch wheel got warterdamage around the on off button.  As I understand it, it affect a few wheels, not all. It had to do of a tight fit on the front panel and it can during assembly get a gab where water can pass to the inside of the power button. 

I had my wheel shipped off to get it examined and fixed. They have coated the cords and button assembly in huge amount of silicone. But also added some foam piece at the rear near the mudbuard. 

I don't think they did anything where dust enters at the edge of the shell (led area) yet...but I have not opened the wheel since I got it back.

It seems we lost the few contacts at KS or freelance working with KS here on the forum, so I doubt we get any further details on this unless @Jason McNeil are kind enough to share some info. 

I rode like 10 km for like 1 hour in rain of about 2mm/hour. It is what I consider mild rain. I avoided pools and at no time the rain was so heavy it would run down on the sides. 

I were trolleying in and out of outdoor shopping centre area half of the time. 

If you are to go out in the rain, I would suggest having a look out for upcoming items at roll.nz @The Fat Unicyclist should be able to give more details. 

Aouch, that's not a lot at all. What surprises me is that there are videos under much more rain without issue :( 
Again, i don't want to ride under rain, but well, you may still be stuck in a situation you have no choice... But it would be for much less than 10km in my case (maybe 2 to 3 actually)

I'm interested if there is some equipment, yes :) 

I can only put it this way that my dealer helped my out and fixed my wheel. The response of KS was you should not ride in the wet as it is unsafe. Which is a response I am anything but impressed with for a wheel at that price tag. 

Going forward, I purchased a V10F to use in wet and winter season. When ever I  decide to buy a new wheel, weatherproofing will be high if not top on my need to have list. 

It is all good to have a otherwise great wheel, but I mainly use it for commuting and where I am, we don't have the Californian weather good on our side.

Have you got any new problem after the repair? I mean, if you went back using it under rain :D 

Because if i can solve the problem by adding some silicone at the right place i should be able to do that (i think i saw a thread mod for that)

I'm not surprised about KS's response, they can't answer it's weatherproo if they had issues, even if it's solved now (which i'm unsure about); and you can't say that about any ither wheel either

Here is new fresh diassasemby KS16X 1.4 board KS16X and KS16XS. Waterproof and dust proof fixed little bit watch yourself. I am personaly disapointed :(

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/12/17/razbiraemsya-v-moshhnosti-dvigatelej-na-primere-kingsong-ks-16x-16xs/

2 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Here is new fresh diassasemby KS16X 1.4 board KS16X and KS16XS. Waterproof and dust proof fixed little bit watch yourself. I am personaly disapointed :(

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/12/17/razbiraemsya-v-moshhnosti-dvigatelej-na-primere-kingsong-ks-16x-16xs/

Hmm... KS found a way to dispose a surplus of older 1.2 controllers by introducing 16XS?

26 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Hmm... KS found a way to dispose a surplus of older 1.2 controllers by introducing 16XS?

Well translated they give you an explanation ( if like me don't understand Russian). 

This board never made it to KS16X units.