16X: so how awesome is having a seat?

Blueblade

One of the selling points that might lead someone to pick a 16X over a Nikola is the availability of an optional seat.  I haven't noticed a ton of people talking about that seat and it got me wondering how nice it really is to have one of those.

Having never tried riding seated, it *seems* like it would be awesome especially for a long-range model like the 16x, but it does look like it might be a little on the low side side so not sure how comfortable it really is.  I don't have a ton of miles under my belt, but I I have noticed my feet get pretty tired and achy after even an hour-long long ride.

Curious to see people's thoughts and experiences with it...

• Like 1

I use the seat as well. Its just amazingly comfortable to cruise around on and I always regret when I leave for a ride without it. 

It is bulky though, and can leave bruises on your inner shins when standing. Having padding like i do will completely eliminate that.

20191020-213850.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

The main reason I bought the 16X was the option of having a seat available. I used it for the first time today and love it. I'm only riding about 12 MPH while seated until I get used to it.

However, I have to stop to transition from standing to sitting. I have been able to bend down to the point on thighs land on the seat but I need to be much more forward when I sit. I tried repositioning once I was seated but that ended in disaster.

So how does one do it? I've seen people sitting with ease but no one explains how to! When I am sitting, my toes are further back on the pedals than I normally ride. Any suggestions.

• Like 1

Not that I even got seated riding on the MSX to work, I did notice that having only my other heel down and letting the other heel rise, and taking support from the front of the wheel with my hand helped a lot in getting my bum more forward when sitting down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AngryJackPCB said:

The main reason I bought the 16X was the option of having a seat available. I used it for the first time today and love it. I'm only riding about 12 MPH while seated until I get used to it.

However, I have to stop to transition from standing to sitting. I have been able to bend down to the point on thighs land on the seat but I need to be much more forward when I sit. I tried repositioning once I was seated but that ended in disaster.

So how does one do it? I've seen people sitting with ease but no one explains how to! When I am sitting, my toes are further back on the pedals than I normally ride. Any suggestions.

i have never used an actual seat.. but i have sat on nearly all my eucs at some point.. you just need practice, initially getting down was hard.. getting back up was never an issue and havent had any problems doing it while moving, but ive never tried adjusting my feet.. havent seen a need to? you need to lean forwards and back quite a bit more when seated or crouched since your centre of gravity is much lower the wheel wont have as much of a reaction when you have no leverage, but being that your entire body weight is now on top of it, your foot position should matter very little, however if youre sitting down way far back on the seat i suggest you just get used to riding with your feet forwards more on the pedals than you would normally if youre going to be transitioning back and forth, it would be dangerous to do adjustments while seated