Try to break your bones with this.

marc

Equestrians crash regularly.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/eventing-vests/c/1202/

They've had these for decades. I've seen them up close; they are like giant catcher's mitts, and differ dramatically from the hard/soft motorcycle gear. That riding gear is around an inch thick, coincidentally (or not) about the same as a helmet.

I didn't see much shoulder protection.

• Like 3

I recently fell off at high speed and injured my shoulder. If the ccm vest has shoulder protection I'd consider it. By protection I mean something to help absorb and spread out some of the impact of for example falling on your shoulder. It would require not only padding but something solid underneath the padding.

I find the bike seat in front hillarious though.

Edited by alcatraz

The pads above protect you from hits. Unfortunately most of the shoulder damage and broken arms in the sport/hobby come from trying to support/stop too much force with your arms. If you wear this armor and stop trying to catch yourself with your arms it will work. However if reach out and jam all your force in your arms like most seem to do without thinking it will not help at all. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The pads above protect you from hits. Unfortunately most of the shoulder damage and broken arms in the sport/hobby come from trying to support/stop too much force with your arms. If you wear this armor and stop trying to catch yourself with your arms it will work. However if reach out and jam all your force in your arms like most seem to do without thinking it will not help at all. 

If you put your hands in your pocket, during a shutoff, you do not have the time to bring your hands out of your pocket and thus you cannot catch yourself and as consequence you will fall fully on your chest and this jacket will do then its job. even without hands in pocket one time at speed 3km/h, I had bent too much forward and I had a shutoff, I had not the time to put my hands on the ground.

• Like 1

When I injured my shoulder (slight dislocation) it was because I fell on it. The hand on that side didn't have as much as a scratch.

Of course it's different from time to time but still.

I must have rolled somehow so that the shoulder took a force from back to front. 

Probably I did the mistake of turning my torso right to avoid smashing my head then curled up a bit but unfortunately the left shoulder was left exposed.

This is a very nice, expensive goalie outfit. Here is an upgraded version. 

49025147932_e05df68feb_b.jpg

This equipment may offer some degree of shoulder protection but if you‘ve ever watched a goalie protectIng the net he can hardly move his arms because of the bulking gear. I myself like to move my upper extremities when riding. :clap3:

A good set of football shoulder pads may offer the best protection from a direct impact. Unfortunately these pads would not protect your shoulder if you happen to land on your elbows. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Something like this maybe. A bit bulky, expensive, and hard to find though.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/project-grizzly-aims-make-bear-proof-safety-suit

Excellent article. Troy Hurtubise was the inventor of this indestructible $150k bear suit.

49027129952_f49f82792d_b.jpg

Unfortunately Troy died last year. Not from being mauled by a grizzly bear but from a car accident. 

• Like 3