Regen "Brakes" when battery is fully charged

Genawin

38 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Hi, alarm (beep or voice message) then a tiltback and as last measure they turn off.

So if you live on a hill it might be best to never fully charge before setting off , I would have thought a good design would have resisters to burn off the regen ?

1 hour ago, Genawin said:

I would have thought a good design would have resisters to burn off the regen ?

Only until you realize how much energy needs to be burned off. Emergency brakings are with all likelihood not regenerative, but I don't think any wheel could make sustained emergency braking for more than a dozen seconds without overheating.

Edited by Mono

there is a steep hill near the beginning of my typical ride, and i regularly get beeped and tilted back on it when my battery is full. i try to full send to this hill to burn some more battery but it’s only 0.5 miles to this point. if it bothers you that much, just charge it 1V below your max voltage. 

• Like 1

I also live at the top of a very large hill, but unless you have perfectly balanced your cells (by leaving the charger plugged in after it goes green), it's not much to worry about. I just try to ride fast for a little bit beforehand.

You could also lift the wheel and let it spin out a bit, and THEN ride downhill.

I got some beeps one time when I hit the bottom of the hill, other than that, it's never been an issue for me

On 10/29/2019 at 7:19 AM, Genawin said:

So if you live on a hill it might be best to never fully charge before setting off , I would have thought a good design would have resisters to burn off the regen ?

FYI, there are a lot of EUC riders that don't charge their wheels to 100% in order to make their batteries last longer. They might only charge to 80% or 90%, in which case, they wouldn't have to worry about regen.

There's a bunch of discussion in this thread (and in many other threads on the forum) about it if you're interested:

• Like 2