DarknessBot, help?

kingkong18XL

I downloaded DarknessBot to use with my KS 18XL but it doesn’t seem to find my wheel.  I had the same problem with my V8 but it didn’t bother me much since the INMOTION app was a lot more stable than the kingsong app.  Can someone help me out, why isn’t DarknessBot able to connect?

• 2 months later...

I have the same wheel. I connect to the app but I’m not seeing many of the things you are supposed to be able to do with the app, for instance: I see no speed unlock settings. I’m guessing this may be a paid for premium feature, but there are many separate paid upgrades and they don’t all specify exactly what you’re unlocking within the app when you pay for them.

Can anyone elaborate how this app works and what is included in each paid upgrade package?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Well I went ahead a bought the premium features for Darknessbot and I notice exactly NOTHING different with the app. I have no idea what I even bought. I still cannot find anywhere to unlock speed settings, and other things are still very cryptic with no explanation, just as they were before I bought premium, such as:

1. I see nowhere to update firmware. It lists the firmware as version 1.0.0 but clicking on that does nothing.
  2. Riding Mode: the choices are 0, 1, or 2...what is that supposed to mean?!
  3. Battery cycles: I simply choose the number? It doesn't track that for you?

For an app that everybody raves about that is so great I don't get it. The KingSong app allows much more options...even if i have to guess at what a random untranslated Chinese word may mean. I must be missing something about this Darknessbot app.

• Like 2

I have no idea what I even bought.

I agree, it could be clearer. As far as I’ve understood:

Automatic Torch: Powers on the headlight if sun has set in your area. Requires a DB-wheel connection to function.

Video Recorder: Allows you to record video where video from the phone camera is overlayed by the app screen.

The rest should be clear enough.

I still cannot find anywhere to unlock speed settings

1. I see nowhere to update firmware.

Those first two are a mystery to me as well. My guess is that it will announce whenever a new firmware is available.

1. Riding Mode: the choices are 0, 1, or 2...what is that supposed to mean?!

DB knows the amount of choices for the riding hardness modes, but doesn’t know their names. Neither do I for that matter... 0=Soft, 1=Medium, 2=Hard.

1. Battery cycles: I simply choose the number? It doesn't track that for you?

DB has no way of knowing how much, where or when you have charged your wheel, so it can’t track it. This setting only makes the estimation for remaining range more precise, IIRC.

For an app that everybody raves about that is so great I don't get it.

It’s all relative. For a free app made by a single individual it is pretty great compared to the alternatives, which everybody seems to have problems connecting, registering, keeping connected, having to restart, understanding Chinese, etc. But as far as mobile apps in general, of course it is severely lacking.

The KingSong app allows much more options...

The alarms and speed settings it seems. Was there anything else? What the KS app can’t do is graph your riding data, track your and other DB user’s location on map, let you choose which detailed parameters to show and update in the main view, etc. The list is fairly long.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I agree, it could be clearer. As far as I’ve understood:

Automatic Torch: Powers on the headlight if sun has set in your area. Requires a DB-wheel connection to function.

Video Recorder: Allows you to record video where video from the phone camera is overlayed by the app screen.

The rest should be clear enough.

Those first two are a mystery to me as well. My guess is that it will announce whenever a new firmware is available.

DB knows the amount of choices for the riding hardness modes, but doesn’t know their names. Neither do I for that matter... 0=Soft, 1=Medium, 2=Hard.

DB has no way of knowing how much, where or when you have charged your wheel, so it can’t track it. This setting only makes the estimation for remaining range more precise, IIRC.

It’s all relative. For a free app made by a single individual it is pretty great compared to the alternatives, which everybody seems to have problems connecting, registering, keeping connected, having to restart, understanding Chinese, etc. But as far as mobile apps in general, of course it is severely lacking.

The alarms and speed settings it seems. Was there anything else? What the KS app can’t do is graph your riding data, track your and other DB user’s location on map, let you choose which detailed parameters to show and update in the main view, etc. The list is fairly long.

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I see your point about being relative. I'm coming into this EUC thing just recently and much of the problems I've read about with the Kingsong app I believe must be outdated. I'm sure i will grow to appreciate the features that DB does have. The main two it is missing, at least for me with my new KS18XL, are the two you mentioned: speed settings and alarms. if it weren't for the fact that I read that DB was great for exactly those two things and that was why I wanted to try it I probably wouldn't have been so frustrated.

As far as the Riding Mode levels, I think I since learned that 0= experienced, 1 = Moderate, and 2= beginner. Go figure. Pretty anti-intuitive. I guess their logic was 0 = 0 software help for riding; 1 = a little bit of software help for riding, and 2 = a lot of software help for riding?

On another note: Since you're a moderator do you know why I can't PM anyone on this forum? When I try it tells me I'm allowed zero (0) messages per day?!

• Like 1

speed settings and alarms.

These features are very recent for the DB, so it might be that all models are not working properly just yet. I wasn’t able to adjust them on my old 16S either, but I’d imagine that the 16S is not a top priority for the developer to get working. We’ll see when others that have succesfully modified the speed settings chime in.

I guess their logic was 0 = 0 software help for riding; 1 = a little bit of software help for riding, and 2 = a lot of software help for riding?

I could remember the order wrongly.

To be precise, the firmware doesn’t really ”help” the riding, it’s just how fast the wheel responds when you accelerate and brake. Fast response makes the pedals feel harder since they stay level, while softer modes rock a bit. Hard is almost like standing on solid ground, soft is like standing on a bed.

On another note: Since you're a moderator do you know why I can't PM anyone on this forum?

New users are required to collect a few positive reputation points before the full features of the forum are available. This is to help with the constant fight against spammers.

People are generous hitting the like button, so it really shouldn’t take long!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

I have the same wheel. I connect to the app but I’m not seeing many of the things you are supposed to be able to do with the app, for instance: I see no speed unlock settings.

Sorry for late reply, we are on vacation and have some troubles with internet. 

Speed unlock is free option and working not for all EUC models. 
You can check what max speed is available for your EUC (Settings/Device/Max speed) - it can be more than in official apps. 

But I don’t sure that you can get more speed for KS18 than KS app lets. 
And we have the same mileage restrictions as KS app. Full speed will be available when you riding 200km. 

21 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

Well I went ahead a bought the premium features for Darknessbot and I notice exactly NOTHING different with the app. I have no idea what I even bought. 

I guess we should add more information about all in-app features. 
Thank you guys @Bridgeboy, @mrelwood you reaching it out. 

21 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

other things are still very cryptic with no explanation, just as they were before I bought premium, such as:

1. I see nowhere to update firmware. It lists the firmware as version 1.0.0 but clicking on that does nothing.
  2. Riding Mode: the choices are 0, 1, or 2...what is that supposed to mean?!
  3. Battery cycles: I simply choose the number? It doesn't track that for you?

1. What is your current firmware version? 
1.0.0 version is looking like a bug, please can you provide a screenshot? 

@Fuerte, FYI:

2. 0 - hard, 1 - medium, 2 - soft. 

Thank you for this too, we add a titles to make it user friendly. 

3. Just like @mrelwood said before, DB can’t logging your battery cycles and use this for better Remaining mileage calculation, but I think we should take it off the settings. It’s looks not very useful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

These features are very recent for the DB, so it might be that all models are not working properly just yet. I wasn’t able to adjust them on my old 16S either, but I’d imagine that the 16S is not a top priority for the developer to get working. We’ll see when others that have succesfully modified the speed settings chime in.

For KS16S speed settings and alarms should works. 

Can you check it now and if it’s not working sent us logs? 

3 hours ago, december11 said:

@Bridgeboy, have you any other questions? 

I have taken screenshots of the app and hosted them online in Google Photos and created links to share them and pasted those links in the "Insert image from URL" feature and nothing happens. So I don't know why I can't post pictures here.

However, the Device page lists firmware Version 1.0.0. I'm told by Jason of eWheels that is the latest version for the new KS 2,200 watt motor. The KS app also reports that is the latest version.

And there is NO Option for Max Speed, or for any speed settings, or for any alarms. They do not exist as you say they should.

This --> (Settings/Device/Max speed) = Does not exist.

I will upload screenshots if i can figure out how.

5 minutes ago, null said:

You should find the speed settings in settings > device.

That is what I keep being told but I'm saying it is not there for me. So it must be a bug they need to work out or something.

See this screenshot of my device screen:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7azpiCFt9kY1qMBb8

Edited by Bridgeboy
Fixed typo

When I'm on the screen you just shared, I scroll down and there is speed settings.

But indeed, the two menus aren't there on yours.

The model you have is very recent, new motherboard and firmware. DB might not be compatible yet, try the official app..

IMG_3047.PNG

Edited by null

2 minutes ago, null said:

When I'm on the screen you just shared, I scroll down and there is speed settings:

IMG_3047.PNG

Right; so it is working as intended for you. It is not for me. As you can see in my screenshot I do not have "Max Speed" or "Alarms" line items. How many total line items do you have on Device screen? Ten (10)? I have Eight (8).

I don't know why my screenshots will not display in my posts. Were you able to follow the link and see it?

8 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

Right; so it is working as intended for you. It is not for me. As you can see in my screenshot I do not have "Max Speed" or "Alarms" line items. How many total line items do you have on Device screen? Ten (10)? I have Eight (8).

I don't know why my screenshots will not display in my posts. Were you able to follow the link and see it?

Thank you for screenshot. I’ve got it👌

14 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

However, the Device page lists firmware Version 1.0.0. I'm told by Jason of eWheels that is the latest version for the new KS 2,200 watt motor. The KS app also reports that is the latest version.

Ok, I read you posts in this thread before then others, so I thank you have other motor version KS18XL . 

I sent you DM. 

• 3 months later...

I just downloaded darknessbot to use with my brand new Kingsong 18XL. I am totally new to EUC’s. Everything went well. After reading all the issues on this site about darknessbot I thought I was in for a difficult time. It was easy and all works well. I have access to everything, alarms, riding mode, firmware update, torch, lights and everything else. Beginner’s luck? I don’t think so. Maybe new wheel and the app is version 2.0. I do have a question about calibration. How do I recalibrate?

Edited by chile1
Forgot some information.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:27 AM, chile1 said:

I just downloaded darknessbot to use with my brand new Kingsong 18XL. I am totally new to EUC’s. Everything went well. After reading all the issues on this site about darknessbot I thought I was in for a difficult time. It was easy and all works well. I have access to everything, alarms, riding mode, firmware update, torch, lights and everything else. Beginner’s luck? I don’t think so. Maybe new wheel and the app is version 2.0. I do have a question about calibration. How do I recalibrate?

Hi!
It's better if you will wrote in main DarknessBot topic. It's increase a possibility you get some help directly from app developer ;)
Well, to calibrate wheel:
1. Get your wheel in right vertical position. You can use levels to find a good position (it's optional). It's important to keep wheel in right position due all calibration process.
2. Tap to "Apply" button. Your wheel will turning off. Keep vertical wheel position
3. Turn on the wheel. Don't forget to keep a position. It's starting beeping and after long beep signal calibration will be finished. 

• 2 years later...
20 hours ago, RayBanMonster said:

Since last update IOS app is auto leveling volume of sound/music to zero.

Thank you for the app though. 

Really appreciate what this does for my riding. Can you fix?

Big love guys. 

Please stand down /ignore prior messaging.

Your "Kung Fu" is STRONG. Found the issue.. my error in settings  Awesome job guys thank you. 

Edited by RayBanMonster
  • Like 1