First time electric anything - impression of mten3 from an uninitiated

Shyam Krishnan Moni

Very nice summary of your experience, and entertaining to read.

At ~180 pounds, I can get ~20-miles, barely. Realistically I would assume ~15 usable miles.

It overheats at 79-degrees Celcius. This will never happen (unless you're riding it up mountains in the desert). I wouldn't worry about it. And if it did overheat, it'll gently tilt-back to force you off the wheel. No harm done. I've overheated my wheels many many times.

You only need to calibrate the pedals if they are not level with the ground.

In WheelLog, swipe from the left to enter the configuration screen. Go to Application Settings and you can switch to Imperial.

You can't configure the 1st & 2nd alarms other then turning them off & on.

3rd alarm activates when you are at 80-percent of available power. That speed varies per wheel and your battery level under load.

Are you using an iPhone? I seem to remember that with the iPhone, when you connect some settings are erased.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

3rd alarm activates when you are at 80-percent of available power.

So the speed drops after the 3rd alarm ? and does it ever back off a little ? it was constantly beeping attracting the attention of all the onlookers who were watching me like I am an alien

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

At ~180 pounds, I can get ~20-miles, barely. Realistically I would assume ~15 usable miles.

I am around 147. So I can expect around easily 15 miles ?

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Are you using an iPhone? I seem to remember that with the iPhone, when you connect some settings are erased.

I am using Android - wheel log. I will try again next time. May be it was a blip or some corner case bug in the app.

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In WheelLog, swipe from the left to enter the configuration screen. Go to Application Settings and you can switch to Imperial.

Oh my ! I feel so stupid.

Another question : 

I have shinguards from soccer.

One wrist guard/motion restricter which I bought when I had wrist injury.

Gloves - more like motorbike gloves - soft in the palms and hard sides on the knuckles.

Helmet from my bike riding. Not the metal one but the super light ones that the triathlon bikers wear

Can you enlighten me on the bare minimum I should get ?(I know that I wont be cruising or racing for sometime)

Welcome to the good life! I too started on the mten3 3 months ago. Sounds like you’re making great progress! 

Wheelog logs to your phone (lightning symbol), so your logs aren’t lost. It just resets and starts a new log file per app reset.

The metn3 death spiral is part of its charm <3

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Wheelog logs to your phone (lightning symbol), so your logs aren’t lost. It just resets and starts a new log file per app reset.

Gotcha ! I have turned it on now. 

21 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

The metn3 death spiral is part of its charm <3

lol !

I just hope I don't let it spiral on a pedestrian nearby 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shyam Krishnan Moni said:

After an hour of playing with it in the park and gaining some confidence, I came back home and changed the tilt back setting at 20 miles/hour.

Looks like a recipe for injury, IMHO.

• Like 1

I came to the park for practicing. Except for the initial rustiness that built up over a week of inactivity, I felt good. 

I exhausted the battery up to 15% and then I noticed that the wheel is tilting back continuously untill it becomes unrideable !

Anyone who has driven mten3 enough plz tell me if it's normal 

@Marty Backe @chrisjunlee ?

42 minutes ago, Shyam Krishnan Moni said:

I came to the park for practicing. Except for the initial rustiness that built up over a week of inactivity, I felt good. 

I exhausted the battery up to 15% and then I noticed that the wheel is tilting back continuously untill it becomes unrideable !

Anyone who has driven mten3 enough plz tell me if it's normal 

@Marty Backe @chrisjunlee ?

The Mten3 will only tilt-back when the battery is a few percent. Certainly not 15%. Perhaps whatever you are using to get the battery level is wrong?

• 9 months later...

After really enjoying my mten3 for sometime, i had issues in the wheel to switch on. It hums but does not balance. Anybody witnessed similar problem ?

@Marty Backe from your experience have you had experience like this in any of your wheels ?

Jason was again very quick to help out (shout out for customer service). I have sent the wheel to Jason.

I hope it is a minor issue and can be fixed quickly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shyam Krishnan Moni said:

After really enjoying my mten3 for sometime, i had issues in the wheel to switch on. It hums but does not balance. Anybody witnessed similar problem ?

@Marty Backe from your experience have you had experience like this in any of your wheels ?

Jason was again very quick to help out (shout out for customer service). I have sent the wheel to Jason.

I hope it is a minor issue and can be fixed quickly. 

I wonder if there was any associated beeping sounds. Another owner experienced a problem with the lift motor cut-off button. It had gotten stuck in the depressed position so it wouldn't balance. He pressed the button a bunch of times to loosen it and when it disengaged the wheel started operating again.

Too bad I didn't see this message before you sent it in. Maybe let EWheels know to check the switch.

• 2 months later...