New 16x tilting back, newbie question

RetroThruster

So I get my 16x today and ride around the yard a bit then I charged it (to 80%), now when I try to ride it, it goes about 25 feet then starts tilting back, way back, I'm a new rider and this is the last thing I need.  I'm trying the horizontal calibration keeping the unit bolt upright but it wants to lean backwards, I'm not getting the 4 beeps and no long beep afterwards confirming calibration, what am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance!

I just went back out and rode it again, the pedals are always tilting forwards or backwards, all on flat ground, one minute I feel like my heels are gonna dig in then the next, my toes, please tell me I just didn't spend $2,000 on nothing but a big paper weight!!

Edited by RetroThruster
added exp

You need to give more info for us to help you. Like what firmware are you using on the wheel, and what speed ypu are riding at. Out of box it is locked for 20kmh or 25kmh, I can't recall.

Calibration is very important to get done right. I suggest you ask your dealer for tips too. 

You didn't buy a paperweight, don't worry.

Either this is a board issue and your dealer will send you a new one or do the repair, or (more likely) it's just some configuration thing in the mess of the KS app - is the wheel unlocked (shows in app)? Is the wheel registered (or however it is called)? Does it show "illegal equipment" in the app? Any warning messages, beeps, whatever?

It will be sorted out in the end. EUCs can just have teething problems but once that's over, you'll be happy:) It's just sometimes a bitch to get there.

Of course ask your seller, too. A video can't hurt, too, if the solution isn't obvious soon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You didn't buy a paperweight, don't worry.

Either this is a board issue and your dealer will send you a new one or do the repair, or (more likely) it's just some configuration thing in the mess of the KS app - is the wheel unlocked (shows in app)? Is the wheel registered (or however it is called)? Does it show "illegal equipment" in the app? Any warning messages, beeps, whatever?

It will be sorted out in the end. EUCs can just have teething problems but once that's over, you'll be happy:) It's just sometimes a bitch to get there.

Of course ask your seller, too. A video can't hurt, too, if the solution isn't obvious soon.

Okay, remember I'm completely new and big time NON tech savvy, I can barely send text messages:/  Anyways, I had to unlock the unit via the app I downloaded to my Android phone or I couldn't ride it, is this what you are talking about?  I seem to be able to read my distance gone, remaining battery and such so I guess I'm linked to the wheel.  As far as beeps goes, this thing beeps all the time about something it seems so I honestly couldn't distinguish the good beeps from the bad beeps.  I haven't seen any "illegal equipment" noted anywhere, I'll look again.  It's strange though that it worked fine albeit slow fresh out of the box then I charge it to 80% and now it's acting weird, on, I am 215lbs and it is running the older 1.05 firmware, not sure if that makes any difference.  I notice too that when I turn it on, it tilts backwards, the pedals are tilting back a fair amount, maybe 15-20 degrees or so.  I just received it today from ewheels, took lessons this morning locally now it's broke, pretty disappointed to be honest.  Thanks for your help!!

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Kingsong processes.

If it balances at all (tiltback included), I think that means it is unlocked. You can always try the lock button on the app main screen and see what happens.

Does the app show a serial number? Sometimes it doesn't ("illegal equipment") and sometimes the serial number can "get lost" after the fact, not sure what the wheel does then.

Jason is great and quick with customer support, so just contact him via email. You'll get this sorted out, even is this is a hardware issue. Don't give up, the good times are coming fast:)

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Kingsong processes.

If it balances at all (tiltback included), I think that means it is unlocked. You can always try the lock button on the app main screen and see what happens.

Does the app show a serial number? Sometimes it doesn't ("illegal equipment") and sometimes the serial number can "get lost" after the fact, not sure what the wheel does then.

Jason is great and quick with customer support, so just contact him via email. You'll get this sorted out, even is this is a hardware issue. Don't give up, the good times are coming fast:)

Okay, I've messaged Jason, I'm sure he'll get me squared away, I really appreciate your help and I'll keep y'all posted...

12 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Okay, I've messaged Jason, I'm sure he'll get me squared away, I really appreciate your help and I'll keep y'all posted...

Ewheels provides very good support. To speed things up, try to send him a video of your wheel acting weird and screen shots of your app. Easier to diagnose on his end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harvey Pooka said:

Ewheels provides very good support. To speed things up, try to send him a video of your wheel acting weird and screen shots of your app. Easier to diagnose on his end.

I received an email from someone at Ewheels, they didn't leave their name, they pretty much just said that doing a calibration is not easy and is uncommon for a new wheel, no instructions whatsoever.  I emailed them back with some details and have heard nothing yet.  I just rode it when I got home from work and I can ride it but when going slightly uphill the whole thing tilts back and when going downhill it tilts forward and you feel like you can't slow it down, I'm just gonna have to find someone local to help me try to diagnose this thing, I don't have enough experience to tell what's normal and what isn't, all I know is the one that I took lessons on, the pedals stayed pretty much flat all the time and you just leaned forward to go forward and back to slow down, mine was the same way until I charged it and now it's way different.  I did notice also that it has very little power now, it struggles to climb even small grades and sometimes stops. 

23 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

I just rode it when I got home from work and I can ride it but when going slightly uphill the whole thing tilts back and when going downhill it tilts forward and you feel like you can't slow it down

That's all very strange and I can't really explain it. I guess it's just a hardware (board) failure like a broken capacitor. The essence of a self-balancing vehicle is that the pedals are always supposed to be level.

I wouldn't ride it (too much). Mysterious behavior change without explanation = be careful.

Are you sure you didn't just change the ride mode in the app to soft ("beginner")? Try all ride modes. That's not it, is it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's all very strange and I can't really explain it. I guess it's just a hardware (board) failure like a broken capacitor. The essence of a self-balancing vehicle is that the pedals are always supposed to be level.

I wouldn't ride it (too much). Mysterious behavior change without explanation = be careful.

Are you sure you didn't just change the ride mode in the app to soft ("beginner")? Try all ride modes. That's not it, is it?

Yes, it's all strange, I did change the ride mode by accident to "beginner", that was part of the problem but I think I did the self calibration correctly finally, like I said earlier, I'm not very adept at this sort of stuff so any little task like this takes me a minute to figure out, I got the 4 short beeps after calibrating but not a really long beep after calibration like you're supposed to get but it seems to be calibrated better now and the pedals are now flat at a standstill, I rode it around briefly and it's definitely better, gonna take it down to the park on flat ground and try it out but I believe it's now sorted.  Sorry for all the brain damage guys, I'm learning and thanks so much for your help!!

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So you think it was a bad calibration? But honestly, the pedals should always be level, not just "better". Let's see what ewheels says.

Your plan to meet with someone with EUC experience definitely is a good one, that can only help.

I really do, it only happened after I charged the unit for the first time, I'm a beginner and could ride it after taking a short course yesterday but after I charged it, I could barely ride it because it was tilting forwards and backwards almost continuously, the guy from ewheels after my last post sent me a youtube clip where a guy showed how to calibrate it, I had stumbled onto how to do it before the video but it confirmed that it was in fact out of calibration, when you turned the wheel on it tilted back quite a bit, now I have the pedals dead level.  I took it to the park and rode it on a flat parking lot and all seems well now, I hope mine was an isolated case.  

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, RetroThruster said:

I really do, it only happened after I charged the unit for the first time, I'm a beginner and could ride it after taking a short course yesterday but after I charged it, I could barely ride it because it was tilting forwards and backwards almost continuously, the guy from ewheels after my last post sent me a youtube clip where a guy showed how to calibrate it, I had stumbled onto how to do it before the video but it confirmed that it was in fact out of calibration, when you turned the wheel on it tilted back quite a bit, now I have the pedals dead level.  I took it to the park and rode it on a flat parking lot and all seems well now, I hope mine was an isolated case.  

Sorry for the inconvenience. But if possible, you can record how the wheel react after you charge the wheel.

Hereby, you can download a BT update from dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uv3j0m9jh979bs4/AAC2MX_MZSIvtyCqd9bPEouua?dl=0

Step 1: Find a U flash, format it to FAT32, and just put those two files into root directory(ensure there is not any other file in this U flash, )
Step 2: Open the wheel, and insert the U flah on the left USB port (Left USB port is Music input port, Right USB port is Mobile phone charging port)
Step 3: Watch the wheel, and hear the sounds. 6 beeps + 1 pa.

Pa: means the BT firmware is updated successfully. and u can find it in the video

After update, better to check whether tilt back or tilt forward happen when it's in still status. U can download a horizontal APP to see whether this changes angel is beyond 3 degree.

• Like 1