Will around the world on an electric unicycle be next?

greentung

In 2015 Ed Pratt unicycled around the world covering over 21,000 miles. He carried camping gear with him on his custom 36" unicycle. I am wondering if EUC reliability has advanced enough that a similar feat can be achieved on an electric unicycle. If one was to consider such an endeavor what would be the chosen wheel? I am guessing the biggest wheel like the Monster modded with a seat and carrier beneath like Ed's unicycle. Route will have to be planned so you can charge overnight. Camping outside is probably not feasible unless there is power available (like KOA). Has anyone actually ridden 21,000 total miles on a EUC? If someone were to try it I'd gladly chip in some charity money their way. 

skynews-ed-pratt-unicycle-world_4373051.thumb.jpg.3ce942827ff3553c3ed7d0e5cccd5d6e.jpg

You're not the first to think about such a long range EUC tour;)

Reliability is no problem. People have 15000+ km wheels with zero issues. Even if something happens, you'll only need a new board (carrying a spare is easy) or a new motor in the worst case (prepare it and ship it to your location if necessary - that even works for a completely new wheel if everything goes down in flames).

But charging might be a problem. Even if you mod your wheel for like 250km daily range (probably the upper end you'll want to do weight-wise), question is can you reliably charge every 250km? Maybe it works with good planning, maybe there are some dry spots (Central Asia? Alaska? Patagonia?) that you need more range for.

• Like 1

I'm going for "every continent" instead...

Being in New Zealand, I should be able to nail Antarctica fairly easily (though battery capacity won't be much) and from there the rest should be easy!

Well @greentung
 It's currently being attempted by a Frenchman (search YouTube: Monsieur Flex). He announced it 3 months ago, and started the trip 3-4 weeks ago. I believe he may be currently in Germany (I follow his journey).  Don't know where to donate to, but I'm sure one of his sponsors can tell you.  :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...