Philly maybe the worst city for EUC

iEatRice

OK this is my 2nd time whining about rude people here. 

So tonight I rode my V8 with my girlfriend on the road and there was a guy walking towards us. And when we were getting close that madafaka jumped out and tried to scare us. My wheel wobbled a bit but luckily me nor my girlfriend fell off. Fortunately we were not so fast, like 15mph, but imagine if we were at 25mph and a guy jumps out and scare you and you fell n get hurt. I mean what kind of people want to scare the EUC people? idk wtf is wrong with them. I have encountered this kind of people for so many times in Philly. maybe EUCs are really rare to see in this city and they are curious. But instead of asking nicely they decide to scare people like that. REALLY? 

I've seen that in San Fransisco and St Louis, more than a couple of times now. They jump out to either your side of the sidewalk or onto the street. I suspect they are bipolars in the manic phase. I've worked with bipolars for years, and after a while you can identify bipolars in the general public just because they give off a certain vibe.

Mentally ill or not, make no mistake; they want you to crash, badly, and will facilitate such a crash, and will find it hilarious when you do so. Generally, when I'm on my wheel I avoid people by getting as far away as possible.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I've seen that in San Fransisco and St Louis, more than a couple of times now. They jump out to either your side of the sidewalk or onto the street. I suspect they are bipolars in the manic phase. I've worked with bipolars for years, and after a while you can identify bipolars in the general public just because they give off a certain vibe.

Mentally ill or not, make no mistake; they want you to crash, badly, and will facilitate such a crash, and will find it hilarious when you do so. Generally, when I'm on my wheel I avoid people by getting as far away as possible.

My girlfriend likes to ride on sidewalks because she is afraid to riding on the roads with cars, which increases the chances that we encounter these mentally ill ppl. She doesn’t understand  it’s much safer to ride like a cyclist

13 minutes ago, Mono said:

How would you know that?

Because sidewalks in Philadelphia are crowded and are full of potholes. Especially when we have these rude and mentally ill people all around the place, so riding on roads with cars like what cyclist always do is way safer IMO.

4 hours ago, iEatRice said:

Maybe it really is the time we update our slow ass V8 to a better wheel

Yeah, we want 126V like yesterday... not for the top speed but passing power.  100V is pretty good, but acceleration is more important for city riding.  67V just won't cut it because it takes too long to get to speed.

That’s unfortunate to run into those idiots so often.  The stupid gene is quite dominant in some people, and it’s difficult for them to fight it.

I would say maybe try picking some better areas of town to ride around if possible.  Don’t let others negatively influence your perceptions of your reality.  They are like dead weights that try to cling onto you.  They are only random elements to be wary of.  Brush them aside and roll along your merry way.

I try to ride defensively and stay prepared for unexpected events.  Dogs, little veering kids, groups of teens all tend to be unpredictable at times.  Just do your best to let the good times roll and as Taylor Swift says “Shake it off.”  :lol:

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That’s unfortunate to run into those idiots so often.  The stupid gene is quite dominant in some people, and it’s difficult for them to fight it.

I would say maybe try picking some better areas of town to ride around if possible.  

San Fransisco has a lot of screaming mentally ill bums, on every street corner that they aggressively stake out. They are always on drugs or alcohol. Always. It's probably the worst city I've seen so far in the US.

St Louis has these big signs that say, "no aggressive panhandling", and they enforce it with cops with a ghetto attitude. I'm pretty right wing, and I intensely dislike drunk bums, but even I'm taken aback by how gleefully aggressive St Louis cops are. St Louis cops don't argue; they go straight to the body slam, and that somewhat offends my white middle-class sense of civility.

20 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Yeah, we want 126V like yesterday... not for the top speed but passing power.  100V is pretty good, but acceleration is more important for city riding.  67V just won't cut it because it takes too long to get to speed.

Voltage has little to do with maximum acceleration though.

• Like 1

I usually ride in the suburbs so there’s usually only a few joggers, cyclists, and families / couples milling about.  I wouldn’t ride downtown or around some of the sketchier areas of town as I’d rather be rolling around away from the stupidoes and mentally challenged.

I think every big city has its share of troublemakers and people you want to avoid.  I guess people just need to try to seek out the less populated spots for more carefree riding.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

...but it does?

my high voltage wheels all accelerate way faster than any 67V wheel I've ridden

well, all the red cars accelerated way faster than the black cars that I have ever driven. Correlation is not (necessarily) causation.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:11 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I guess people just need to try to seek out the less populated spots for more carefree riding.

That's what I wanna do. But the reality is where I live is so populated and its almost inevitable to meet those idiots. so sad.