KS 16X Camera Mounting

Rehab1

The KS 16X is a fantastic wheel but poses a challenge when it comes to mounting a sport’s  camera such as a GoPro. 

The rubbery surface along with slippery side panels do not allow for a tenacious attachment of the standard doubled faced tape mounts or velcro. But utilizing a GoPro clamp mount on the handle does work.

There is a plethora of similar attachments available on the internet. I purchased this particular clamp a few years back and locating the exact model proved difficult.  Here is one similar model sold on Amazon. 

48648683303_2eeb9c3f3d_b.jpg

The important aspect for a solid attachment is to use an actual clamp mount that tightens with a thumb screw snugly around the handle.  The attachment for the camera is a universal ball and joint mount that fastens directly to the clamp mount via a standard 1/4 x 20 thread. Below are a few photos of my setup. 

Additionally the mount does not interfere with the extension the trolley handle or affect the motor disengagement switch. 

48648895556_38ae37fbe2_b.jpg

48649032897_177c82a283_b.jpg

48649032747_fbb6db0fe8_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

If you want high quality mount, there is a very good American brand, Raw Mounts. 

https://www.rammount.com/

You can combine different parts to customize to you own needs. 

I need the wheel first before I get my mount. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

I checked out the site. Unfortunately there is never an exact application for the multitude of irregular shaped surfaces for a secure attachment.

I’m happy with my design as it is mechanically sound.  

1 hour ago, prasket said:

Nice!

I printed and was using this on my V8, I wonder if I can get it to work with the wider handle of the 16x.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3454222

3D printing is one of those hobbies I have yet to invest in. Being that you have the resources and talent I’m sure you could tweak the program and enlarge the width of the clamping mechanism. Please post some photos if you decide to print the GoPro clamp. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 1:51 AM, Rehab1 said:

3D printing is one of those hobbies I have yet to invest in. Being that you have the resources and talent I’m sure you could tweak the program and enlarge the width of the clamping mechanism. Please post some photos if you decide to print the GoPro clamp. 

Simply use a RAM mount.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-247U-2

32 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Simply use a RAM mount.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-247U-2

That mount looks sturdy but having a secure attachment that still offered unlimited positioning for the GoPro is what I was after. 

48676548438_a61499b558_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

It was too rainy today for me to check out a local deals Raw Mounts. But I get back once I have more on my solution. 

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

You use the mount I posted, add a RAM arm, and add a gopro-to-ram-ball mount to that. I can asssure you it's heaps easier to position than all those small gopro parts you have to puzzle with.

After some research I took your suggestion and ordered a Ram mount where the clamp is adaptable to both round and square channel. These are beefy mounts. Thanks!

48678526242_335150b46a_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slashebeest said:

Are these images not to shaky when mounted on your wheel ?

especially when going offroad ?

Nope

This is with GoPro 7 stabilisation or post process stabilisation turned OFF

20 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

After some research I took your suggestion and ordered a Ram mount where the clamp is adaptable to both round and square channel. These are beefy mounts. Thanks!

48678526242_335150b46a_b.jpg

And you'll only spend 30 seconds setting it up, instead of fiddling for 5 minutes with all those tiny attachments that bend in every direction except the one you want :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Nope

And you'll only spend 30 seconds setting it up, instead of fiddling for 5 minutes with all those tiny attachments that bend in every direction except the one you want :D 

Great footage! The Gopro 7 is exceptional at stabilization. Unfortunately I purchase more equipment than I have time to use. Hopefully that will soon change but I must admit I’m looking forward to receiving the Ram mount tomorrow.

I just  bought these 3 parts to build a Ram Mounts mounting piece for my Sony FDR-X3000r camera. 

1080_67ef0636-a4b7-4734-b4b6-9560d34c8be

1080_936a4d36-1890-4250-ac0f-26efb4574d9

1080_5d631356-ba21-4a0c-811f-dcf23769c1d

I will test this out tomorrow. It can be adjusted in any angle more or less. Right now I am just testing how sticky the suction cup really is on that top part of KS16X. 

In worst case if it doesn't work out, I can always move to it my TS Pass helmet I guess. 

But the lower mount on the wheel give a better sensation of speed, and vibration that goes on (despite optical image stabilization in the camera). 

By using a suction cub, I expect the camera and wheel being less prone to damage in case of an tumble since it can detach if enough force is applied. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, Unventor said:

I just  bought these 3 parts to build a Ram Mounts mounting piece for my Sony FDR-X3000r camera. 

1080_67ef0636-a4b7-4734-b4b6-9560d34c8be

1080_936a4d36-1890-4250-ac0f-26efb4574d9

1080_5d631356-ba21-4a0c-811f-dcf23769c1d

I will test this out tomorrow. It can be adjusted in any angle more or less. Right now I am just testing how sticky the suctioncup really is on that top part of KS16X. 

In worst case if it doesn't work out, I can always move to it my TS Pass helmet I guess. 

But the lower mount on the wheel gi a better sensation of speed, and vibration that goes on (despite optical image stabilisation in the camera). 

By using a suction cub, I expect the camera and wheel being less prone to damage in case of an tumble since it can detach if enough force is applied. 

Well I did a brief test on my way back from home. Somehow I didn't get the camera started correctly. After a while the Suction cup came  loose and I had to stop, "restarted" the recording and that is what you see from the link below. Despite Ram Mount have a really good suction cup, it cannot maintain the mount. It is partly due to the surface and partly the shape. There is so little room to fit it that it blocks the handle entering the case. 

But the world keeps turning and so ideas to get around this are incoming too. The recording is a little distorted due to rain on the waterproof case/lens area.

I am not really going that fast maybe around 20-25ish kmh, slow turning, I am still trying to get my muscle memory to understand and handle the U shaped tire  instead of a car shaped tire [_] 

I am starring to get the hang of hit, but sometimes I revert back to my old style and have to reset/focus my mind again.

• Like 1

@Unventor Yes I was worried about your RAM suction cup attachment. Glad your camera is ok. 

Here is my new GoPro RAM attachment that clamps onto the handle.

48693558108_f4aa50aaf6_b.jpg

My mount held up fine during some rough trail riding but the shaky footage is disturbing. I used the GoPro 7 with the stabilization on. I think the KS 16X's wiggly handle contributed to the poor footage. A selfie stick does a great job with the GP7.  It's just fun experimenting with different mounting options.

I may use the RAM mount for a new LED light I'm trying out.

Edited by Rehab1

Well in half-as-great-as-rehab-contraption-style I cooked up an idea that you probably like before you go on... 

I am getting my hand on this thing 😁 yep it is so simple that it hurts. 

16778_3.jpg

And I will attach it by 3M duallock tape. Like this

This should enable it to stay in place but still be able to break free.

You can get this pretty cheap and put 2 of those on the top part hidden away in a U part where the handle is. And it is even flexable as you can get gopro mount to many things, that can attach to the Ram Mounts too. I think a tinkler like you can get some great stuff out of this @Rehab1

How it works:

duallock_mushroomhead_graphic_small.jpg

dual_lock_labled_peeled_back_nosum.jpg

Since it is plastic it can be easy cleaned with a brush instead of velcro. It is stronger too and size and density of the hock and locks can be different depending of what you need it for. 

Now there is a different option but that is more expensive... But that can follow contour of the surface. 

s-l400.jpg

Edited by Unventor
I use the 3M duallock to attach my rear view mirror to my mc helmet.
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 6:52 AM, ir_fuel said:

Nope

Am I missing something? This video looks shaky as hell. Maybe because it's all shown in high-speed???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Am I missing something? This video looks shaky as hell. Maybe because it's all shown in high-speed???

It shows the road conditions pretty well. What's the fun in having an off road video that looks like it's shot on a gimbal? Might as well ride on a normal road then.

And it's not sped up. This is normal playback speed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Unventor said:

Well in half-as-great-as-rehab-contraption-style I cooked up an idea that you probably like before you go on... 

I am getting my hand on this thing 😁 yep it is so simple that it hurts. 

16778_3.jpg

And I will attach it by 3M duallock tape. Like this

This should enable it to stay in place but still be able to break free.

You can get this pretty cheap and put 2 of those on the top part hidden away in a U part where the handle is. And it is even flexable as you can get gopro mount to many things, that can attach to the Ram Mounts too. I think a tinkler like you can get some great stuff out of this @Rehab1

How it works:

duallock_mushroomhead_graphic_small.jpg

dual_lock_labled_peeled_back_nosum.jpg

Since it is plastic it can be easy cleaned with a brush instead of velcro. It is stronger too and size and density of the hock and locks can be different depending of what you need it for. 

Now there is a different option but that is more expensive... But that can follow contour of the surface. 

s-l400.jpg

3M dual lock is ridiculously strong. We mount stuff with it in our race cars, and it doesn't move for 24 hours, even with lots of abuse (and sometimes crashes).

I used it to attach the neoprene protection to my KS16X.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

It shows the road conditions pretty well. What's the fun in having an off road video that looks like it's shot on a gimbal? Might as well ride on a normal road then.

And it's not sped up. This is normal playback speed.

Wow. That's fascinating. It really has the look of a video that is playing at high speed. Very interesting. I guess the bouncy affect that you're looking for does not appeal to me. But there's something for everyone, right?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow. That's fascinating. It really has the look of a video that is playing at high speed. Very interesting. I guess the bouncy affect that you're looking for does not appeal to me. But there's something for everyone, right?

I got nauseous watching my own video.:barf:

• Like 1