How often do you fill your tyre?

Fidgety Spinner

5 hours ago, Mono said:

Just to understand, isn't this in the responsibility of the tube manufacturers?

You're assuming that the tube manufacterers also make (or install) the valves...

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

You're assuming that the tube manufacterers also make (or install) the valves...

Not really assumptions, just observations. When I bought a tube, so far the valve was always installed (and I assume, yes, that when I were to buy a valve it came without a tube). I don't care about splitting hairs, I just wanted to make sure to understand what you meant by tightening the valve in the stem, that is, you fix what comes out of the box when a tube is delivered. I can imagine many people don't even know that they can remove the valve from the tube or how to remove or tighten it.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mono said:

Not really assumptions, just observations. When I bought a tube, so far the valve was always installed (and I assume, yes, that when I were to buy a valve it came without a tube). I don't care about splitting hairs, I just wanted to make sure to understand what you meant by tightening the valve in the stem, that is, you fix what comes out of the box when a tube is delivered. I can imagine many people don't even know that they can remove the valve from the tube or how to remove or tighten it.

You make a fair point about people not knowing about valves and tubes - though as the EUC world is still mainly early-adoptors I would expect some level of initiative.

For everyone else though, we offer EUC servicing - empty tubes is our specialy!   ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

You make a fair point about people not knowing about valves and tubes - though as the EUC world is still mainly early-adoptors I would expect some level of initiative.

We are not using ”EUC tubes” though. They are generic inner tubes for electric bicycles, scooters, mopeds etc. Early adoption guidelines don’t apply.

I do have a habit of going through the crucial nuts and bolts on any new device I get, but I really don’t think it is something that should be required for every user. The devices we buy are generally supposed to be usable right out of the box.

I just realized, I never, not even once tightened the valve cores on my mountain bikes when I was riding actively for years. Nor on any of my cars’ tires.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, mrelwood said:

I just realized, I never, not even once tightened the valve cores on my mountain bikes when I was riding actively for years. Nor on any of my cars’ tires.

That's a fair call.. I wonder the source of those tubes is different?

When I started thinking about this, I realised that (in my experience) the valves included with the tubes I buy (from China) are different to the valves I can buy here in New Zealand...

The valve cores in the tubes I source from China are red, compared to the cores I can buy locally, which are black. Wondering if there was a difference took me down a rabbit hole of valve cores - which only added to the questions.

It turns out that there "may be" a standard that is indicated by the colour of the valve core, but that can't be confirmed. But if these cores do adhere to the standard then red indicates that the valve core is for high pressure / heat purposes (compared to the standard). In addition the compound responsible for "sealing" is different - silicone vs. nitrile (apparently).

I wonder if any / all of that plays a factor in the stability for our purpose?

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1

Good point.  After reading your previous post, i checked my core tightness, it was pretty tight, i turned it pretty hard to only get a tiny extra budge.  I also made sure to tighten the cap tightly too..I also changed it to one of the metal variety that has a rubber gasket inside the cap and the valve core removal tool tip on it, hopefully it seals better than the cheap black plastic one it comes with, and more useful later for changes or re-sliming if necessary.

I'll see if it seems to be any better at retaining air pressure...

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

For everyone else though, we offer EUC servicing - empty tubes is our specialy!   ;)

A lot of people do not know (or have not fully considered) that valve stems twist counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, Biped Phil said:

A lot of people do not know (or have not fully considered) that valve stems twist counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

:roflmao:

Unless of course you buy EUC that are manufactured in the northern hemisphere!

Just an update ... I tightened the valve core and put a new metal cap on with a rubber gasket that I also tightened fairly tight and guess what it's still low after a week. I guess that's just the way it is, kind of like a balloon.

7 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Just an update ... I tightened the valve core and put a new metal cap on with a rubber gasket that I also tightened fairly tight and guess what it's still low after a week. I guess that's just the way it is, kind of like a balloon.

If you are happy to remove it (or have already and remember)... What colour is the gasket strip on your valve core?