How often do you fill your tyre?

Fidgety Spinner

Sounds like a small leak. They are the hardest to find too. You need to pump up the tube a lot to see it and it gets quite inflated and scary.

Depending on the quality of your inner tube I'd say 4-12 weeks before a pumping is needed.

Depends on your skills as a rider too. I'm used to inflating my tire a bit harder and not crashing riding over bumps (good knee action - suspension) and thus I can ride for a few more weeks before pumping again. I just gotta remember that if I go over traintracks or similar, and I happen to have lower than average air pressure, that I need to go really careful. I've busted an inner tube several times because of bottoming out a tire on the train tracks. I'm not going fast but when there is a sharp edge and you have 70kg on one underinflated tire, there is no way for the tire to hold you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Sounds like a small leak. They are the hardest to find too. You need to pump up the tube a lot to see it and it gets quite inflated and scary.

Depending on the quality of your inner tube I'd say 4-12 weeks before a pumping is needed.

10 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

In my experience with several EUCs I've owned, I inflate the tire once in 30-60 days.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, I suspected as much. Losing 10-12psi in a week seemed a bit excessive to me. Looks like it's time for Slime!

37psi is nothing. I pump mine to at least 55psi.

Don't change air pressure drastically without having lots of experience. Like 30psi to 55psi. High pressure causes twitchyness and severe vibrations.

Low pressure causes slow reaction when turning and risk of pinch flatting the inner tube.

When you get better at riding you can feel at the start of the ride by doing a tiny poga stick jump if the pressure is "normal" or high/low. Then adjust your brain or pump the tire instead of soiling your underwear at the first turn.

I'm lazy so I ride even when the pressure is a bit high or low. Just gotta be careful to not ride with too low pressure, or take it easy the first few minutes of riding after inflating it. That's when your brain is inequipped to anticipate the behavior of the wheel.

I always feared what it'd be like to lose pressure going at high speed. After 8000km it happened to me. It's scary as hell the first time because you don't know what to "feel" for. I advise anyone to at least feel what low pressure feels like so you don't crash when you get a high speed puncture and don't realize it until the tire is completely flat and you fall. With really low pressure you can crash at 5-10km/h, so going 30km/h is inadviseable to say the least. :)

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

thats a slow leak for sure, no way you should have to pump it up every week.. put some slime in there.. normally i will go months of riding every day without having to put any more air in

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Advanced issues found

50 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

37psi is nothing. I pump mine to at least 55psi.

Don't change air pressure drastically without having lots of experience. Like 30psi to 55psi. High pressure causes twitchyness and severe vibrations.

I tried 40psi but it felt like riding a go-kart. Zero suspension and twitchy as hell. I can't even imagine 55!

37psi is about where I feel like I might still have use of my knees in 10 years :roflmao:. Maybe when I am better at this, I will raise the pressure.

40 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

thats a slow leak for sure, no way you should have to pump it up every week.. put some slime in there.. normally i will go months of riding every day without having to put any more air in

Most def. I was expecting a few weeks between fills, not a few days!

• Like 1

I use my V8 every two weeks and have to inflate it each time I ride. I keep it at 39psi at the moment. I once tried 35psi and couldn't go straight at all. Luckily I have a great Dewalt inflator along with a quick release so it's easy and quick.

• Upvote 1

My brother’s first wheel IPS Zero always goes down from 3 bars (45psi) to 2 bars (30psi) in a week despite being Gooped. We even replaced the valve core. Some of the inner tubes being used seem to be of the cheapest variant.

37 psi is on the lower side of average for a V8 sized tire, but I wouldn’t consider it being a risk for snake bites. If that’s what you prefer and don’t want to optimize for a maximum range, go for it!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems to lose maybe 5-10 psi a week too, before and after putting slime in the tube.  It's hard to know exactly because its hard to get the air nozzle/guage on the valve stem without letting a bunch of air out in the process, but it will feel sluggish and soft if it's been several days or more, then i will check/add air and then it will feel normal again.

Edited by Blueblade
  • Upvote 1

When I got my V10F last week I did not pay attention to the tire or pressure. But on the 3rd day of practice passerby’s told me I had a flat wheel. It was totally deflated for some reason. I put 40ish PSI but still worry if I might have a small leak or it was def;aged out of the box and I never noticed. 

18 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

When I got my V10F last week I did not pay attention to the tire or pressure. But on the 3rd day of practice passerby’s told me I had a flat wheel. It was totally deflated for some reason. I put 40ish PSI but still worry if I might have a small leak or it was def;aged out of the box and I never noticed. 

i doubt it i think the lowest ive seen was probably 25-30 ish from factory.. my previous two wheels were over 50 though.. how could you ride it and not notice a flat lmao, i cant see how thats possible it would be extremely difficult to even ride at all on a flat

For a new rider an EUC is extremely hard to ride with correct pressure as well. Completely new feeling, nothing to compare to. A new guy at a group ride had been riding a 14” wheel for two years below 30psi. While it would’ve worked on a large tire, I was barely able to turn with the wheel.

28 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

For a new rider an EUC is extremely hard to ride with correct pressure as well. Completely new feeling, nothing to compare to. A new guy at a group ride had been riding a 14” wheel for two years below 30psi. While it would’ve worked on a large tire, I was barely able to turn with the wheel.

jesus, the poor thing lol.. low pressure on a small wheel feels horrible but i guess if thats all you know lmao..

Edited by Rywokast

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I bought my Z10 a year ago and set its pressure to (if I recall correctly) 1.7bar.

Haven't looked since :D 

wow that's gotta be a record.. I havent even gone a year without a flat let alone re inflating.. maybe the fact it's tubeless can be thanked

4 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

wow that's gotta be a record.. I havent even gone a year without a flat let alone re inflating.. maybe the fact it's tubeless can be thanked

I don't ride as much as a lot of people here. My Z10 has a total mileage of 315km.

22 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I don't ride as much as a lot of people here. My Z10 has a total mileage of 315km.

315km in a year?! That’s gotta be a record then! For me that is worth one active week of riding.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

ahh well then that explains it lol I'll put roughly 4-10x that much on one vehicle :p

Edited by Rywokast

I have had the "priviledge" of seeing a number of wheels (across a few brands) direct from the factory, and I have to say that the state of the tyre / tube / inflation varies significantly...

1. The worst I have seen, the tyre wasn't seated correctly and had a ½" bulge  where the bead wasn't correctly located.

2. There have been a few as well that had no air in thm at all... I expect that they did when they left the factory, but it all fell out somewhere between them and me.

3. Similar to #2 a number of wheels also just have a really low pressure (10-20 psi).

What I have found though is that simply tightening the valve in the stem solves 90% of the issues!   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What I have found though is that simply tightening the valve in the stem solves 90% of the issues!   :thumbup:

Just to understand, isn't this in the responsibility of the tube manufacturers?

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, ir_fuel said:

I bought my Z10 a year ago and set its pressure to (if I recall correctly) 1.7bar.

Haven't looked since :D 

I spent some time checking all the wheels.

Z10 wasn't so bad. It was at 1.5bar and I set it at 1.7, so I added 0.2.

All the others ... no comment ::ph34r: