MSX Seat Mod

On 7/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, Marty Backe said:

IMG_0520

@Marty Backe Thanks for passing on this seat mod idea and making a video of the installation. Whilst I notice that you have answered the question, elsewhere (Facebook), that the angle the saddle mounts at works OK for you I have thought of a way to mount the saddle flatter and also higher!

When I looked at the bracket more closely, I could see that if 2 of these were bolted together mirrored (forming a "Z" shape) and then the saddle would mount on top without any angle and also gaining more height (and more spring/suspension) at the same time.

I have ordered 2 for myself from Ali today to try this out on my Tesla, only now I'm having to wait for China shipping so it will be a while before I can report back on how it works out. (Hopefully it works as expected).

I've been wanting to give seated riding a go, but as you are well aware, both the Tesla and the Z10 are not really tall enough (I really need to add a Monster to my small collection), but I'm thinking 2 of these suspension brackets would mount well on the Tesla's handle and offer a more comfortable seated height!

So thanks again for passing on a little inspiration to help me try out something New.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Marty Backe Thanks for passing on this seat mod idea and making a video of the installation. Whilst I notice that you have answered the question, elsewhere (Facebook), that the angle the saddle mounts at works OK for you I have thought of a way to mount the saddle flatter and also higher!

When I looked at the bracket more closely, I could see that if 2 of these were bolted together mirrored (forming a "Z" shape) and then the saddle would mount on top without any angle and also gaining more height (and more spring/suspension) at the same time.

I have ordered 2 for myself from Ali today to try this out on my Tesla, only now I'm having to wait for China shipping so it will be a while before I can report back on how it works out. (Hopefully it works as expected).

I've been wanting to give seated riding a go, but as you are well aware, both the Tesla and the Z10 are not really tall enough (I really need to add a Monster to my small collection), but I'm thinking 2 of these suspension brackets would mount well on the Tesla's handle and offer a more comfortable seated height!

So thanks again for passing on a little inspiration to help me try out something New.

Very interesting. I actually have two (I bought another one to use on my Monster). But I'm going to let you try it first. My only concern is that if the seat is too high it may result in too much lateral force on the handle mount and the band clamps might not be strong enough.

Please do post a picture or two of your experiment and let me know how it rides.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Please do post a picture or two of your experiment and let me know how it rides.

I will definitely come back here with some photos and feedback on how it works, but as stated above - with ordering from Ali it will be a while before they arrive in NZ. I just got confirmation that they shipped out today so now the waiting begins!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@Marty Backe I finally received  2 of the “bicycle suspension device” brackets to modify my Tesla for seated riding.  Wow, even though I say it myself, I am really stoked and impressed with how well this has all worked out. 

Up until yesterday I have never been able to give seated riding a go, but took the Tesla out and covered 52kms, mainly seated, at the first try!

Obviously, there was a settling in period to transitioning from standing to sitting and the actual position of the saddle did need tweaking as I felt I was sitting just a little too far forward.  I have now moved the saddle back about 25mm (1inch), so the next ride should be a lot more dialled in. 

As far as your concerns regarding lateral stability are concerned, I can assure you that 2 brackets do actually mount up extremely solidly.  I have purposely left the band clamps exposed, so that I can periodically check the tension, but initial impressions are very favourable as it all remained firmly in place after 52kms including some bumpy off road terrain in places. 

With using 2 brackets I also found that there is a good amount of spring/suspension effect when needed on rough surfaces. 

Another plus for this set up was that it has also offered me a place to mount a rear “Serfas” light that I already had.  Also, there is no need to use the trolley handle with the seat being tall enough to use instead without crouching.

Anyway, take a look at the photos to get an idea of how well it looks without having the saddle mounted at an upward angle and also offering a height of 600mm (24inches) above the pedals!!!

P.S. for reference, I would also add that I’m around your height and weight Marty.

Seat1.jpg

Seat2.jpg

Seat3.jpg

Seat4.jpg

Seat5.jpg

Seat6.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...