Learning to ride -Questions

Eddie A. Steiner

Hey Guys, so I'm trying to ride my new 9B and I have a few questions. First, I asked how to tell which 9B model I have and was told to get the model number or serial number...? How does that tell me which one I have? I got the numbers from the app for my unit but that still doesn't help? Anyhow, I'm trying desperately to learn this thing (badly) and it's just not clicking....I read someone on hear that someone used a grocery cart and I thought GREAT IDEA! So, tell me guys, is this a good method? It sounds like a great teaching tool. Thanks in advance, great forum, I appreciate all the help!

Eddie

• Like 1

Hey guys a little update, I've been practicing a lot and falling a lot. I get a lot of inspiration hearing the stories of newbies like myself.  I recently had problems with my tire valve in the way and found that somebody that had my unicycle before me rigged it with a picture hanger....see photo. I tried to  fix it the right , but the valve would not lay down.  So I just used the same trick that the previous owner did and used the picture hanger.... Seemed to work just fine. You can see the damage done by the previous owner when the valve stem stood up. I was able to pump the tire up to 40 pounds to continue practicing.

20190623_093123.jpg

3 hours ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

I also wanted to add that upon opening the wheel it seems that this is an E model.  Also is there a post that shows how to recover your leg pads? I saw somebody on YouTube do it with  Denim material.

It's easier cheaper to just buy a fresh set of leg pads from Speedyfeet - you can get grey (about $15USD each) or white faux PVC leather (about $20 each). Shipping to the US is very reasonable.

If you still want to wrap the leg pads, I think you will need to create a pattern and sew the pieces together to get a nice effect without wrinkles. If you look closely at the white pads linked above, they are actually PVC leather fabric (3 pieces) stitched and stapled onto the rear of the plastic shell.

Here's the thread with video by @dbfrese

I think @SuperSport was (one of the) first to wrap his E+ in carbon fiber. The end results were impressive at the time.

I wrapped my inner shell two years ago, and it has been very durable and still looks great imho.

image.png.f687592e27531c46a97d419bc94ff8b9.png

image.png.43aaf903e7c1c36efa82be6a920adea2.png

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys a little update, I've been practicing a lot and falling a lot. I get a lot of inspiration hearing the stories of newbies like myself.  I recently had problems with my tire valve in the way and found that somebody that had my unicycle before me rigged it with a picture hanger....see photo. I tried to  fix it the right , but the valve would not lay down.  So I just used the same trick that the previous owner did and used the picture hanger.... Seemed to work just fine. You can see the damage done by the previous owner when the valve stem stood up. I was able to pump the tire up to 40 pounds to continue practicing.

20190623_093123.jpg

I think the structural integrity of that shell is compromised, and I wouldn't ride that wheel too hard, near traffic or in areas where you can't crash safely. I'd consider replacing the entire shell if you grow attached to the E+ or just upgrade to a newer wheel asap. SpeedyFeet used to stock the inner shell set for the Ninebot One (they are all the same), but the part has been out of stock for a while. You can click this link and add your email address to be notified when/if he ever gets a new batch. I've had success doing that with other NB1 parts from his site.

• Upvote 1

Great to hear that you have been progressing!
Kick push, learn to mount and dismount, learn to turn, go up and down hills.
Ride on grass and dirt, try carving. Just play around. It takes a while for the brain and body to find the middle.
The middle of the middle. It's a completely new skill for most people.

Just ride the shit out of it! You will outgrow it in a couple of months anyway.
It will still be useful to learn riding backwards, riding on one leg, jumping and other stuff like that.

My Ninebot One E+ has recently started to take a beating while my wife has been learning to ride it.

The struggle is real!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

WOW, she's doing so good!! Such inspiration to all us newbies. I had my moment over the weekend and now I just want to ride EVERYWHERE!

She'll be happy to read that. Thanks! :thumbup:

I've done over 4000km and i'm still learning new things and have yet more to learn.

Welcome to the addiction!

• Upvote 1

Ok so....another update. I've been riding the shit out of my 9b1. I'm getting the tilt back now all the time....I guess that's a good thing. I so want to go faster than 9 mph. I've been practicing my carving, and I  don't know if it's me or my battered 9b1,but my ride seems very loosie goosie when trying to carve. Seems like I'm going to lose it. I would love the opportunity to ride a higher end wheel just to feel the difference. Anyhow thanks guys and just letting you know I'm already saving for my next one.....which one should I be looking at....under $1000?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Ok so....another update. I've been riding the shit out of my 9b1. I'm getting the tilt back now all the time....I guess that's a good thing. I so want to go faster than 9 mph. I've been practicing my carving, and I  don't know if it's me or my battered 9b1,but my ride seems very loosie goosie when trying to carve. Seems like I'm going to lose it. I would love the opportunity to ride a higher end wheel just to feel the difference. Anyhow thanks guys and just letting you know I'm already saving for my next one.....which one should I be looking at....under $1000?

It's loosie goosie because it's a small nimble wheel. It feels like sliding on ice. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I bend my knees when carving to lower my center of gravity. Even though i'm only 5'5" and weigh 140lbs if I ride straight and lean to much to the sides to carve I will over-carve.

Why are you stuck at 9mph? Are you using the speed limiter in the Ninebot app? You should be able to do 13mph.

Now you get to learn one-legged riding and riding backwards. These skills will help you understand the wheel better. Then you can start doing jumps too. And with that big crack in the wheel already lmao.

Next wheel:
Depends on your weight and height.
How will you use it? Short rides? Long rides? Off road? City?

Hey my friend, I'm 185 pounds and 6 ft tall. My wheel maxes out at like 9.5 mph. The limiter takes it to about 6.5 in the app. I don't know if my wheel is bad or what but I only get like 9 mph. I'm dying for more power but I feel this is good to learn on. I really appreciate all the helpful tips and advice......also happy anniversary, your girl is doing sooooo good!

Thanks!

Alright then if the wheel maxes out it maxes out. It's not really worth doing anything about it. So when it comes to your choice of next wheel a budget of $1000 is rather low and doesn't leave much. Take a look at eWheels.com. If I lived in the US I would order from there unless I could find it way cheaper from Aliexpress and be 100% sure that I wouldn't be paying customs or taxes.

Inmotion V10/F, MCM5, KS16S, Tesla.

• Upvote 1

Hey Mike - update - just bought a practically new King Song 16S for $1000 in the box, demo model. Can't wait to try it out but will be careful with the new found speed....22MPH!

Congrats! Level up! Good price as well. The speed should tide you over for a wheel and it will also have a good resale value.
You can still practice tricks on the NB1+ and learn backwards riding without scratching up your new baby.

Listen to @meepmeepmayer he knows what he's talking about. If you think a faceplant is bad that's nothing compared to a buttplant! :efefa07c43: