Sheep are not like dogs, and other theories

Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
49 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There is a field beside the house, full of sheep.  If I want to clear that field of sheep I just have to walk towards it. Within 30 seconds not a single sheep can be seen; they have all run off to an adjoining field. Happens every time.

But today I rode the wheel around to the street to get a good look at the sky to the north.  Weather radar was predicting an end to the constant stream of rain showers and I wanted to see if the sky agreed (it didn't).

When I rode back to the house, I noticed a sheep watching me roll by.  Then I noticed that ALL the sheep were still there. If I had been walking they would have disappeared on my initial walk out to the street.  Curious to see if this was a fluke or some new finding, I rode up and down the fence line four times (as I write this it is hailing again, so, so much for weather radar predictions), not a single sheep took so much as one step away from me.  Some watched as I rode by, but didn't even stop chewing. Others didn't even look up.

So what are my conclusions?

1. Sheep are programmed by nature, Darwin and all that, to be fearful of things that walk or run.  Maybe its the up and down movement, or the legs swishing back and forth, but whatever it is, they run away; not from humans per se, but from walking or running humans (and wolves,etc)  Those that didn't, got eaten.

2. Sheep are not programmed to run away from humans that do not either bob up and down or swish their legs back and forth.  I passed 50 sheep four times (200 examples) and not one ran, and if one runs THEY ALL RUN! For sheep, non bobbing or non swishing humans do not compute; there is no programmed response, so they do nothing

3. Some vehicle drivers are like sheep; if they can't see you bob, or swish your legs, you do not compute, therefor they do nothing (specifically, nothing to avoid running into you)

4. Assume all drivers (especially those that will be crossing your path) are like sheep and therefor will not do what you expect them to do.

What a story !

Curious observation, though...

It's interesting to think about, what you've wrote.

I can share the other story, about two dogs.

The owner used to walk his dog on a path next to long fence.

As it's usually is, behind that fence was the other dog :)

Both dogs after clocked each other, always were running next to each other, being separated by fence, and barking aggressively every time and then  :)

It was routine :)

Until one day,when a part of that fence was removed ...

The dogs did set off as usually, running full speed etc., they suddenly ended up, facing each other at the spot, where the part of the fence was missing!

They got surprised, had stopped barking, stood still, watched each other...

The owner got scared, the fight will certainly start right now.

But not!?

Those dogs after short concern, did return to usual running and barking back toward the remaining fence, to finish their ritual :)

Sometimes the life is surprises us, making us to think deeper, but that's a good thing :) 

- I'm sorry for my English, I tried my best to tell the story @Smoother :)

5 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

What a story !

Curious observation, though...

It's interesting to think about, what you've wrote.

I can share the other story, about two dogs.

The owner used to walk his dog on a path next to long fence.

As it's usually is, behind that fence was the other dog :)

Both dogs after clocked each other, always were running next to each other, being separated by fence, and barking aggressively every time and then  :)

It was routine :)

Until one day,when a part of that fence was removed ...

The dogs did set off as usually, running full speed etc., they suddenly ended up, facing each other at the spot, where the part of the fence was missing!

They got surprised, had stopped barking, stood still, watched each other...

The owner got scared, the fight will certainly start right now.

But not!?

Those dogs after short concern, did return to usual running and barking back toward the remaining fence, to finish their ritual :)

Sometimes the life is surprises us, making us to think deeper, but that's a good thing :) 

- I'm sorry for my English, I tried my best to tell the story @Smoother :)

Its a good story. The two dogs were very brave and ferocious when there was a fence "preventing" them from proving it. But when the fence went away, they had no excuse not to prove it and they chickened out.  

I have a completely unrelated dog story too:;)

I used to take walks around the neighborhood with my ex-wife.  One evening we stopped to talk to a man working in his front garden.  Every now and then his dog, lying on the front porch, would put his head up and howl.  After three or four of these events, I asked the owner, what it was all about.  He said the dog was lying on a nail that was sticking up.  I asked why the dog didn't move.  He said, it's obviously not bothering him enough.  There's a moral in there somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Its a good story. The two dogs were very brave and ferocious when there was a fence "preventing" them from proving it. But when the fence went away, they had no excuse not to prove it and they chickened out. 

This isn't limited to animals... :P
(I've seen a video where this happened, between Greg Davies and Rob Beckett on 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown)

Guest PogArt Artur
4 hours ago, Smoother said:

I have a completely unrelated dog story too:;)

I used to take walks around the neighborhood with my ex-wife.  One evening we stopped to talk to a man working in his front garden.  Every now and then his dog, lying on the front porch, would put his head up and howl.  After three or four of these events, I asked the owner, what it was all about.  He said the dog was lying on a nail that was sticking up.  I asked why the dog didn't move.  He said, it's obviously not bothering him enough.  There's a moral in there somewhere.

Lol, @Smoother ... :)

I don't get it , lol :)

If the owner knew, what's causing his dog to howl ...?

Why he did't get rid of that nail at first place??

Lol :) !!!?

It's reminds me unfortunately some other video I saw on youtube, regarding wolves and the dogs ...

I bet it was somewhere in Siberia , strong winter, lots of snow, you know...

Couple of wolves got around the house, then the chained dog had came out to bark at those intruders, so the wolves attacked poor dog fighting alone against fewer wolves...

At some point on that video record the owner came out the house, the wolves vanished leaving the dog alive...

The dog was wandering there and back on his chain, still high on his adrenaline, and the owner didn't even bothered to check the dog out, whether he needs some help or anything!?

As soon as the wolves disappeared, the owner went back home...!

Just careless people.

37 minutes ago, Olav said:

(I've seen a video where this happened, between Greg Davies and Rob Beckett on 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown)

You get that crap in Norway?  Just kidding, I prefer it to Countdown, because its funny.  But I have do idea what you are saying. Who was the sheep and who was the EUC rider?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

I don't get it , lol :)

If the owner knew, what's causing his dog to howl ...?

Why he did't get rid of that nail at first place??

Lol :) !!!?

Its an allegory* it didn't happen.

Here's the actual story

There was a young man walking down the street and happened to see a old man sitting on his porch. Next to the old man was his dog, who was whining and whimpering. The young man asked the old man “What’s wrong with your dog” The old man said “He’s laying on a nail”. The young man asked “Laying on a nail?, Well why doesn’t he get up?” The old man then replied “It’s not hurting bad enough.”

And the interpretation:

There are two reasons people make changes in their lives: inspiration or desperation. In the final analysis what really matters is not what happened to you but what you are prepared to do about it. Are you going to  moan, groan, and complain, shrinking into fear or are you going to wake up, get up, and tap into the seeds of greatness and possibility within you?

Its got nothing to do with the sheep, FYI ;)

*a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Its an allegory* it didn't happen.

Here's the actual story

There was a young man walking down the street and happened to see a old man sitting on his porch. Next to the old man was his dog, who was whining and whimpering. The young man asked the old man “What’s wrong with your dog” The old man said “He’s laying on a nail”. The young man asked “Laying on a nail?, Well why doesn’t he get up?” The old man then replied “It’s not hurting bad enough.”

And the interpretation:

There are two reasons people make changes in their lives: inspiration or desperation. In the final analysis what really matters is not what happened to you but what you are prepared to do about it. Are you going to  moan, groan, and complain, shrinking into fear or are you going to wake up, get up, and tap into the seeds of greatness and possibility within you?

Its got nothing to do with the sheep, FYI ;)

*a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.

Thank you!

I got confused, as I thought it is real story ...

So I went like, why the hell he's letting his dog suffer, if it took a seconds to remove that nail , lol ...

Now I get it clearly , thank you for keen explanation of allegory as well :)

I just got angry with that owner, lol :)

Guest PogArt Artur
57 minutes ago, Olav said:

hahahaaaa :)

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

You get that crap in Norway?  Just kidding, I prefer it to Countdown, because its funny.  But I have do idea what you are saying. Who was the sheep and who was the EUC rider?

Took some time to find the clip (:blink:) but here it is (starts at 11:55 if the video doesn't start there)
Greg Davies and Rob Beckett standoff

My reference were to the two dogs barking at eachother, not sheep vs. EUC rider.

We get BBC Brit here in Norway (which shows Cats does Countdown), but I usually see it on Youtube.

• Like 1

Very interesting behaviour on the sheep! Dog behaviour reflects the story quite well. I’ve talked with several dog owners after their dog barks and growls at me as I slide by. The dogs are used to bicycles and pedestrians and do nothing. But if the person glides without moving a limb, the dogs go crazy because they don’t know what’s going on. Happens wether I’m on an EUC or the MiniPro, and they told me that people on skateboards are the same.

My seated A3 is a different story though, dogs don’t react to that. Although, one dog owner told me that her dog does bark to wheelchairs, and seemingly wanted to rescue the wheelchair user from the evil wheelchair that was holding him captive.

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Dog behaviour reflects the story quite well

My experience with dog shows them falling into five distinct categories.

1. Those that couldn't care less.  Barely notice my passing

2. Those that notice me, but are not concerned.

3.  Those that notice me and are concerned, but make no aggressive move.

4. Those that notice me, and are concerned, and bark or act up.

5. Those that want to kill me.

If I passed 200 dogs there would be some in each of these five categories, although the exact ratio, I couldn't guess.  I passed the equivalent of 200 sheep (50 passed four times) and they ALL fell into category one/two.  I know 50 passed four times is not the same as 200 passed once, but in some way it's worse for the sheep because I gave each one three additional chances to reconsider my threat level and the fact that I was "scoping out the herd", and none, changed their mind.  And I know it was none, because, as I said, if one runs, they all run.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Oh yes, failed to mention, it’s only about 1/10th of dogs that behave this way. It is strongly breed related, so I’d guess it’s the ones with enough guard dog mentality.

Anyway, the moral of the original story, and perhaps the eventual outcome of evolution is obvious:

Wolves should learn to ride EUCs!

You've just mentioned evolution...

I was following some aspects of the evolution, whether it's a fact or empty theory.

As far as I'm aware, there's lack of evidence if evolution theory is proven regarding human beings, but I remember two facts regarding the animals, where evolution was proven and it is a fact :) ; the same species had adapted to the new circumstances ..,and had changed their behaviour and external appearance (in one case) :)

SHEEP UPDATE:

I took a stroll outside to check the weather (always hopefull, frequently disappointed)

17 sheep in the field ALL lying down.  Never seen them do that before.  Does this mean it's going to rain soon?

Guest PogArt Artur
35 minutes ago, Smoother said:

SHEEP UPDATE:

I took a stroll outside to check the weather (always hopefull, frequently disappointed)

17 sheep in the field ALL lying down.  Never seen them do that before.  Does this mean it's going to rain soon?

hahahaaa :)

Keep us updated please - what's the connection between sheep's reaction and the forecast matter :)

I'm interested :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

SHEEP UPDATE:

I’m starting to see a somewhat abnormal fascination with sheep.  

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
53 minutes ago, Smoother said:

People say if cows are lying down, it's going to rain.  I was wondering of it's true with sheep too.  

Update. went outside again: No rain, no sheep.

Cheers, hahaaa !!!

I can't stop myself laughing :):):) hahahaaa :) 

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I’m starting to see a somewhat abnormal fascination with sheep.  

hahahahaaa :)

It's not abnormal to me, bus science instead :)

haahaaa :)

48 minutes ago, Olav said:

If sheep is standing with their legs further apart than normal, hold on, earthquake soon to follow :P

Or....they're getting ready to take a pee.

It never did rain, btw.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, Smoother said:

Then I noticed that ALL the sheep were still there. If I had been walking they would have disappeared on my initial walk out to the street. 

This type behavior is well known among ecologists, and a variation of it is almost certainly responsible for the sudden and widespread extinction of all megafauna in North and South America, and Australia.

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

and a variation of it is almost certainly responsible for the sudden and widespread extinction of all megafauna in North and South America, and Australia.

I thought that was the works of the Sharps rifle and greedy white men.  Hard to react "correctly" to a supersonic bullet being fired from 300 yards away.:D

When I used to pistol shoot at the range, every 20 minutes there was a cease fire to go down range and change targets, but the rifle boys on the long range beside us had a different cease fire schedule.  A fellow shooter noticed me looking over my shoulder every time I heard the crack of a rifle.  He said "Don't worry, they're all supersonic; if you hear it you didn't get shot" :mellow:

• Like 1