Bend your knees

Consider this a PSA. Remember to practice safe lifting techniques whenever you need to carry your wheel, it's a heavy lump. I have owned my EUC since January this year and barely a day had gone by since that I've not been out and about riding. I've absolutely loved it.

However this week I acquired a back injury - a pinched nerve in my upper back that has left me in agony and bed ridden for days. The only activity that could contribute to this is carrying my wheel up and down the two flights of stairs at work each day and the occasional hasty lift to clear a street curb.

Be careful - lift with your knees, not your back. Hope to be out on the road again soon.

Good advise.
I'm fortunate that I have a lift in my building, so I don't have to carry my XL up those stairs (4th floor) :cry2:
And work on the same level as I enter the building, at work.

Get well, and then go out and ride! ;)

7 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

However this week I acquired a back injury - a pinched nerve in my upper back that has left me in agony and bed ridden for days. The only activity that could contribute to this is carrying my wheel up and down the two flights of stairs at work each day and the occasional hasty lift to clear a street curb.

I did the same thing with the same result.

@Marty BackeBacke has a video on how to properly lift a wheel, as properly lifting a wheel isn't immediately obvious but important to do so especially with the heavier wheels.

7 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

Consider this a PSA. Remember to practice safe lifting techniques whenever you need to carry your wheel, it's a heavy lump. I have owned my EUC since January this year and barely a day had gone by since that I've not been out and about riding. I've absolutely loved it.

Be careful - lift with your knees, not your back. Hope to be out on the road again soon.

I feel have plenty of experience with back injuries, my own and others.  Guessing: although lifting aggravated your back, poor stance, hunched back, may have been the main culprit.  Try keeping your upper back straight.  It helped me a lot.

Actually a heavier wheel might even help! Seriously. When you lift a 24kg wheel, you do it with consideration no matter the situation. A 17kg wheel is a lot easier to lift wrong.

I have a bad back and I had intermittent back pains when using my 16S (17,5kg). Now I ride the MSX (23kg) and my back bothers me less! Whenever I’m forced to lift the thing, I do it with thorough consideration and care.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Actually a heavier wheel might even help! Seriously. When you lift a 24kg wheel, you do it with consideration no matter the situation. A 17kg wheel is a lot easier to lift wrong.

I have a bad back and I had intermittent back pains when using my 16S (17,5kg). Now I ride the MSX (23kg) and my back bothers me less! Whenever I’m forced to lift the thing, I do it with thorough consideration and care.

lol, the next thing on my shopping list is a neck brace ... a new wheel though, hmm :innocent1:

Archived