18XL - 1 week (167km) review

Jens Ronnedal

37 minutes ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

I’m 195cm tall weighing just above 100kg. My old wheel would take me 25-30km if I ran the battery to the very bottom. The longest ride I’ve taken so far is 55,6km in about freezing temperatures and it left me with 46% battery according to the Kingsong app.

That is some crazy range especially considering the cold!

I rode with Jens today, about 20km. We didn't go fast due to ice patches but, at some point he went all crazzy when we got a nice clear straight bike Lane without anyone else there. 

He went like a bat out of hell.😈

I didn't do anything but trying to keep up.😇 I kept getting the please slow down (set at 42kmh). 

Despite it kinda felt short, I love our ride today. not as daring as @Mike Sacristan. But we both had a few skids but without accident or issues, but to keep us on our toes.

The V8 looks like a toy, the KS18XL just fits dead on. I think I have to call you Jens "Gotia Tower" Ronnedal. 🙄

When I am standing on my KS18L I am at eye height with Jens on ground zero. 

Best guide you could hope for if you want to see Gothenburg by EUC.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

That is some crazy range especially considering the cold!

Have to put in perspective that the Kingsong app is not known to report accurate mileage and you can't ride the battery to zero. I was hoping the wheel would take me 70-80km in summer conditions, but it seems to do it even in winter, so I'm very pleased.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

Only negativ thing about the XL. Even though the new mudflap might look the part, it doesn’t do the job.

C8-ABB7-C7-8971-41-AE-852-F-9-DB9-B6-C92

That's why I love my KS18L version. 

• Like 1

I feel an odd sort of kinship, as I own the same 2 EUCs!  Though, I began with the 18XL with the idea there would be 'no limits' to what I could do with it.  No idea why it never occurred to me that 53 lbs might not be the most convenient thing to lug onto public transportation.  Hence the need for my Glide 3 (V8).  Love them both.

Only negativ thing about the XL. Even though the new mudflap might look the part, it doesn’t do the job.

Agreed... it doesn't say much for the mud flap that there is mud immediately on the rear of the flap itself. :laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, BScootP said:

I feel an odd sort of kinship, as I own the same 2 EUCs!  Though, I began with the 18XL with the idea there would be 'no limits' to what I could do with it.  No idea why it never occurred to me that 53 lbs might not be the most convenient thing to lug onto public transportation.  Hence the need for my Glide 3 (V8).  Love them both.

Agreed... it doesn't say much for the mud flap that there is mud immediately on the rear of the flap itself. :laughbounce2:

Sure it does it loves mud..all over the place...

Ohh btw it does have one benafit. Noone ride or drive just behind you as you have a fine impressive arc of mud behind you. If you are lucky you even spot a rainbow. :w00t2:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

Have to put in perspective that the Kingsong app is not known to report accurate mileage and you can't ride the battery to zero. I was hoping the wheel would take me 70-80km in summer conditions, but it seems to do it even in winter, so I'm very pleased.

Yes it might be interesting if you measured the distance with an app just for reference.
Still very good and definitely more effective than most other EUCs it seems.
My 45km long ride at 70kg riding weight left me with 40% battery.

Where did you buy it?

57 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Yes it might be interesting if you measured the distance with an app just for reference.
Still very good and definitely more effective than most other EUCs it seems.
My 45km long ride at 70kg riding weight left me with 40% battery.

Where did you buy it?

The day before the 55.6km ride (according to the kingsong app) I did a 40km ride according to strava (gps). I forgot to reset the distance on the Darknessbot app so I don't know exactly how it compare to a gps. But after those 40km at about the same weather conditions I had 53% battery left according to the Kingsong app and 43% left according to Darknessbot. A lot of head wind on this ride and with fluffy winter clothing. So like the worst conditions possible. I've bought both of my wheel from Speedy Feet.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Jens Ronnedal said:

The day before the 55.6km ride (according to the kingsong app) I did a 40km ride according to strava (gps). I forgot to reset the distance on the Darknessbot app so I don't know exactly how it compare to a gps. But after those 40km at about the same weather conditions I had 53% battery left according to the Kingsong app and 43% left according to Darknessbot. A lot of head wind on this ride and with fluffy winter clothing. So like the worst conditions possible. I've bought both of my wheel from Speedy Feet.

That's still very good range no matter how you look at it. Very impressive!

How did the VAT / MOMS (swedish tax) work out?

6 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

That's still very good range no matter how you look at it. Very impressive!

How did the VAT / MOMS (swedish tax) work out?

The wheel cost £2,195.00 (vat incl.) at Speedy Feet. With today's exchange rates it translates to 25,681 SEK. When I ordered it back in November I payed 26,244 SEK. But I think some of that is a fee for the currency exchange.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

The wheel cost £2,195.00 (vat incl.) at Speedy Feet. With today's exchange rates it translates to 25,681 SEK. When I ordered it back in November I payed 26,244 SEK. But I think some of that is a fee for the currency exchange.

I use XE currency exchange Good rates and you can set the value of currency you want achieved

Well within reason else the wait would be long

But will beat the banks exchange rates all yr long

1 hour ago, Gaz Bon said:

I use XE currency exchange Good rates and you can set the value of currency you want achieved

Well within reason else the wait would be long

But will beat the banks exchange rates all yr long

Yeah, there's probably a way around some fees if you want to put in the extra effort. I just paid with my mastercard.

https://e-wheels.no/produkt/enhjuling/kingsong-ks18xl

You could get a decent price on the XL at this Norwegian shop. 
20 000,- kr = 2051,- Euro

I've bought all my wheels from here. If you don't mind IMHO a complete lack of proper customer support, it could be worth it regarding the price. 

Edited by CptSalami

Hey @Jens Ronnedal, thanks for the nice review! Im a new member, (having just ordered my first wheel, KingSong18XL) and a similar size to you (2m, 100kg) so its nice to see that the wheel could handle someone of our size. I did manage to get the xl foot pads, so hopefully they'll be ok. It must be posted elsewhere in this forum, but can you explain how you solved the issue of the alarms?

33 minutes ago, Justin Duff said:

Hey @Jens Ronnedal, thanks for the nice review! Im a new member, (having just ordered my first wheel, KingSong18XL) and a similar size to you (2m, 100kg) so its nice to see that the wheel could handle someone of our size. I did manage to get the xl foot pads, so hopefully they'll be ok. It must be posted elsewhere in this forum, but can you explain how you solved the issue of the alarms?

He explained this that that are 5 speakers, he cut the wire to the system speaker. in a way to they can be connected again as the wire is fairly long. I dont know if he took pictures of this. But as he told me, this way he didn't have to open up the top cover to get the connector on the control board. 

As for the large pedals, I have these on my KS18L and I think most EU/Western people would prefer these on a crusing size wheel, as the KS18 series. Once again kodo to the awesomnes of @Jason McNeil for this push to bring forward these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin Duff said:

The KS18XL has no problem with our weight at all. I've had no trouble with the V8 regarding weight either. But it has to work alot harder to get me up and down steep hills than the XL. But it feels like you have a saftey buffer as a heavier rider with a 2000W motor.

To solve the beeping I just removed the cable for the system speaker. I heard that Kingsong is working on a new app. Hopefully they will have that problem solved when it release.

Another thing that is a bit irritating is the light settings go back to default every time I turn the wheel back on. So if I turn the light off and ride a bit, turn the wheel off and then back on, the light is back on. Not a deal breaker, and seems like an easy problem for Kingsong to fix in a firmware update. 

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your XL. But I'm glad I learned to ride on a lighter wheel. A wheel like the XL is not as intuative as the V8 for example. The V8 is so light, when you do the slightest weight shift of your body the wheel responds immediatly. With the XL you have to put more force to get it to do as you wish. But for a heavier rider it will be easier. I let a friend try my XL who had only ridden a 14" wheel before and he almost stumbled and fell as he wasn't prepared for the weight of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CptSalami said:

https://e-wheels.no/produkt/enhjuling/kingsong-ks18xl

You could get a decent price on the XL at this Norwegian shop. 
20 000,- kr = 2051,- Euro

I've bought all my wheels from here. If you don't mind IMHO a complete lack of proper customer support, it could be worth it regarding the price. 

Something's gotta give. If you just want a cheap price there are probably lots of re-sellers cheaper than Speedy Feet. But probably not better service and support.

Which re-seller you chose to buy from is a big decision. It effects way more than just your bank account.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sounds like you're enjoying your 18XL, that's great! 

A friend recently purchased one and it has an extremely nasty high-pitched whine that's always on, even on idle. Does yours have a high-pitched whine as well or is he just unlucky with faulty circuitry?

I'm looking to upgrade my Ninebot to the KS18XL, or GW MSX, or the Z10.  A loud whine from the 18XL would be show stopper for me - that would drive me batty.

It's been half a year from your purchase ... did KS improve their firmware to better address your concerns?