Motor Cut-Off Question

Hey all!

I was wondering if you go up a too steep of a hill on a unicycle and it can’t take it, will the motor instantly cut off or will the unicycle slow down to a stop? 

Thank you so much for your time :) 

DIfficult question to answer with absolute certainty. KingSong, Inmotion, and Ninebot (probably others too, but I can only speak with authority about these brands) will eventually start to overheat because of the strain on the motor. When they actually overheat the wheel will tilt-back severely, forcing you off the wheel. This won't be a safety concern because the steep hills that can cause this to happen are so steep that you can't go very fast. So it'll be a slo-speed 'ejection' from the wheel.

KingSong uses fuses in their wheels, and it is possible under severe conditions for the fuse to blow before the wheel overheats.

Although Gotway wheels can overheat and kick you off via tilt-back, more often they will self-destruct, damaging the control board and sometime the motor also.

I've personally witnessed all three scenarios and have also had it happen to me.

It's best to learn your wheel and know when to stop pushing it into the red zone. This comes with experience.

It will simpy come to a stop because you lean but nothing happens. You feel when you stress a wheel too much that it can't give you more, it will just not go. Maybe you'll have to run it off if it comes unexpectedly. Or it will beep/do tiltback before that.

But no current wheel will just switch off without warning.

Still use common sense, there's never a 100% guarantee everything works as expected:efee47c9c8: Especially with small batteries.

Edit: if you're wondering about different answers from me and Marty, I'm talking more about (very) short inclines that are/get so steep that the wheel can't do it at all (or barely do it), while he's talking more about steep hills that the wheel can reasonably do but that are very long and the incline can't be ridden forever.

42 minutes ago, Josh Morgan said:

Hey all!

I was wondering if you go up a too steep of a hill on a unicycle and it can’t take it, will the motor instantly cut off or will the unicycle slow down to a stop? 

Thank you so much for your time :) 

Welcome!

One cannot go up a too steep hill with an EUC ?

The wheel can provide some specific maximum torque depending on the speed one drives (the faster the less torque)

So if one drives on a flat road with high speed and comes to an "too steep" incline it will feel like a cutoff and one will be sent flying..

If the incline increases softly it is up to the driver to not push the wheel over the limit and by this come to a stop.

So there (normally) won't be a cut-off. One reaches the speed over max torque limit of the motor, so it can't provide the additional needed torque. This can be "felt" as a "bit weaker pedal behavor", if this limit is reached carefully. If one misses this "transition" (or just reach the limit to fast) it "feels" exactly like a cut-off...

More details on the motor "characteristics" can be found in https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/?tab=comments#comment-107721

Going up a steep hill presumably one will move slowly and could hit the current limiter implemented in firmware, which will lead to similar effects.

By this (slow speed, high currents/burden) it's also very likely to get overheating which will lead after an alarm (beep, tiltback) to a firmware triggered cutoff.

If one tries hard enough, molten wires, blown fuses/mosfets can also happen (immediate and quite permanent cut-off)

Adding the only scenario I have experienced to the mix, that I would describe as "push through", kind of a soft "cutoff". That is, the pedals give in and the wheel tilts forward because it cannot sustain the pressure. This often leads to the toes scratching the ground and off we go.

In any case, the invariable advice for all new riding situations: start slowly and increase speed gradually to find out whether it is doable or not.

Thank you all for your answers. My wheels are the Inmotion V8 and V10f, so if you have any specific advice for those wheels about motor cut off, please let me know. But, it looks like a tilt back will happen before a cutoff. Am I correct?

2 hours ago, Josh Morgan said:

Thank you all for your answers. My wheels are the Inmotion V8 and V10f, so if you have any specific advice for those wheels about motor cut off, please let me know. But, it looks like a tilt back will happen before a cutoff. Am I correct?

I and others have published various videos showing the V10F overheating and kicking you off the wheel while climbing hills in Southern California. The motor will not cutout on those wheels, just a severe tilt-back.

Archived