Cruising Speed

Adam.

Hey guys, I'm looking into electric unicycles and was wondering at what speed you guys usually go. I go to IU, which is a lil hilly, not crazy, but some. I'm considering a refurb v5f from inmotion for $300 but am worried I be wanting more. Should I save up for the refurb v8 for the extra speed/torque/battery?

V5F around 10mph.

KS16s around 16 mph.

MSuper around 22-26 mph.

I actually find myself grabbing my bicycle more often for those 15 mph plus speeds due to the safety concern of a faceplant, but with the caveat that the big MSuper is a fast wheel making 25 mph cruising effortless although absurdly dangerous.

Interestingly, I'm on a college campus a lot these days, and when I ride the KS16s around the kids think it's "cool" but the MSuper gets called "crazy" or "nuts". The big fast 18 inchers are in a class of their own, and their speed crosses over from the practical last mile to "hot-rod Vespa with a death-wish". 30mph will do that.

Just now, LanghamP said:

Interestingly, I'm on a college campus a lot these days, and when I ride the KS16s around the kids think it's "cool" but the MSuper gets called "crazy" or "nuts". The big fast 18 inchers are in a class of their own, and their speed crosses over from the practical last mile to "hot-rod Vespa with a death-wish". 30mph will do that.

Yeah I am definitely not planning on the deathwish faceplant roadrash speeds, budget doesn't allow it anyway. So as a rule of thumb you generally go 5mph below the max?

I would go for the V8, as the V8 is a better wheel in every way. The bigger battery is very important.

About the only advantage the V5 has, other than price, is the handle.

Just save up for the V8. It will last you years and years whereas the V5 you will simply buy another wheel. 

starter - after two weeks bounced off speed limiter all the time 11ish

v8 - after a few months bounced off speed limiter all the time 19ish

Tesla - 25ish happy as can be

until I got the Tesla I spent my time bouncing off the speed limiter on my first two wheels which ruined my riding experience.  Now when I hit the limit (29) I kind of agree with the fact I might be going to fast and need to slow down.

I'd go with the refurb V8 as well - it's handled the hills around me (Wisconsin) well.  I actually really like the trolly handle on the V8, too.

Even going with the V8 you will likely want more at some point.  I've had the V8 about a month and a half and I can already feel the desire for a "better" wheel creeping in (though I still love my V8 - it's been a great first wheel and I'm glad the battle scars are going into a refurb wheel instead of whatever I'll be eyeing in the spring)

I started with the V5F, lasted a couple of months but could only occasionally get me up one particular hill. Upgraded to the V8 which was much better, could get me up that hill, but couldn't quite keep up with the average cyclist. Two months later I was onto the ACM which was an awesome little powerhouse that did everything I asked of it. We use the V8 as a training/spare wheel now.

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I started with the V5F, lasted a couple of months but could only occasionally get me up one particular hill. Upgraded to the V8 which was much better, could get me up that hill, but couldn't quite keep up with the average cyclist. Two months later I was onto the ACM which was an awesome little powerhouse that did everything I asked of it. We use the V8 as a training/spare wheel now.

How much would you be willing to part with your v8 for :p 

Love my V8/Glide3 and can’t belive how well it’s handled two of the steepest hills in my city.  Even more impressive considering I’m 6ft. 215 lbs.  it also gets about 18-20 miles range with my size and weight depending upon wind, hills and temperature.  I don’t crave any more speed than the 19 mph this wheel does and actually prefer to ride slower because I don’t like wearing pads.  I tend to average about 10-12 on roads and often purposely take sidewalks at a leisurely 5mph or less.

I can’t imagine wanting a smaller wheel than a 16” but am sometimes curious about a larger 18” wheel for longer cruising.  I also have no need for a USB port on my wheel and just listen to my phone for music or podcasts.  The V8 is the most bang for the buck I think you’ll find for an all around capable wheel.

11 hours ago, Adam. said:

How much would you be willing to part with your v8 for :p 

Our little crew went from 0 to four members this year, with three of us having learned at least in part on that V8. When it eventually retires as a training wheel, I think we'll put it in a glass case in our future clubhouse. It's pretty beat up anyway, having hit the pavement innumerable times and been taken apart twice.:blink1:

49 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Our little crew went from 0 to four members this year, with three of us having learned at least in part on that V8. When it eventually retires as a training wheel, I think we'll put it in a glass case in our future clubhouse. It's pretty beat up anyway, having hit the pavement innumerable times and been taken apart twice.:blink1:

aw congrats on the family expansion!

On 10/22/2018 at 5:34 PM, Adam. said:

Hey guys, I'm looking into electric unicycles and was wondering at what speed you guys usually go. I go to IU, which is a lil hilly, not crazy, but some. I'm considering a refurb v5f from inmotion for $300 but am worried I be wanting more. Should I save up for the refurb v8 for the extra speed/torque/battery?

Where can I buy a refurb v5f for $300?  I don't see it on the inmotion site, or do you have to contact them directly? Thanks!

20 hours ago, cloud240 said:

Where can I buy a refurb v5f for $300?  I don't see it on the inmotion site, or do you have to contact them directly? Thanks!

https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/refurbished The unicycles are all out of stock most of the time but every once in a while you can see them in stock for a little under a day.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, Adam. said:

Yeah I am definitely not planning on the deathwish faceplant roadrash speeds, budget doesn't allow it anyway. So as a rule of thumb you generally go 5mph below the max?

You can get road rash at 5mph. Falling from such a high place with even a little bit of momentum and just a thin t shirt between you and the asphalt is enough to hurt and leave scars. You can die at 5mph too, just practicing going backwards with no helmet and you overlean and hit your head. 

What im getting at is the risk of injury from smaller wheels versus faster, bigger wheels ISN’T proportional due to human perception.  Smaller wheels no one wears protective gear. Because the general perspective is: what can happen at 12mph right?

But at 25mph on an 18”, more users are well aware of their mortality and are suiting up with full face helmets and wrist guards and body armor. 

I’d rather be wearing full gear at 25mph then going shirtless with no gear at 12mph. 

Archived